As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Football Spiral Not Straight - Need Tips

CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm English, so throwing an American football isn't something I've learned how to do before now. But I wanted to, so I learned from a video on Youtube, and I can now throw the ball pretty well.

My spirals are tight enough, but the problem is they point to the side. Instead of the tip of the football pointing straight towards the receiver, they point slightly to the right.

It might not affect the distance, but it doesn't look as good.

Anyone happen to know what might be causing this? Do I just need to keep on throwing and it'll eventually straighten out?

Centipeed on

• Options
    jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There are almost too many mechanical mistakes to list that could cause a thrown ball to veer left or right, even slightly.

I'd suggest checking your arm angle, your grip and make sure you're following through.

jhunter46 on
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    (the way i was taught)

place your index finger on the point/end of the ball, your middle finger between the point/end and the beginning of the threads and your ring & pinkie finger on the threads spaced out however is comfortable for your hand size. at the end of your throw, your hand should be pointing at your intended target with just the index finger extended (like "Hey! You!!")

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg