As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

URGENT - Passport or Social Security?

DarwinsFavoriteTortoiseDarwinsFavoriteTortoise Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I was recently hired for a job, and I was told to bring in my state issued ID and social security card the next day (the day I would start).

Well I cannot for the life of me find my social security card, so I was wondering if my passport would suffice? Anyone know? I leave in like 20 mins so I need this info fast (they aren't answering their phones).

-I'm in Nevada.
-It's a Barnes and Nobles.

Thanks.

DarwinsFavoriteTortoise on

• Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Have you got a birth certificate?

Reckless on
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    It certainly is proof of citizenship, considered much more reliable than a birth certificate or a social security card. How about calling the interviewer and asking?

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    http://www.doleta.gov/Katrina/docs/430941-1%20TEN%20New%209-14-05.swf

Go to page five. One from list A OR one from List B + One from List C. Form is not specific to working at Barnes & Noble in Nevada, but these requirements are fairly universal.

You basically need to prove your identity and employ-ability in the US. Many people do not have passport, so Drivers License & Social Security card is fairly standard. Your DL proves your identity, and having a SSN proves you are employable, because you must be a citizen or permanent resident to obtain a SSN.

A passport establishes proof of both in 1 document. You must prove your identity AND be a US citizen in order to hold a US passport.

TL;DR: Your passport OR Drivers License + Social Security card.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarwinsFavoriteTortoiseDarwinsFavoriteTortoise Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes, I have a birth certificate. Should I bring in both that and my passport?

And the interviewer isn't answering.

And I leave in three minutes.

DarwinsFavoriteTortoise on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Do that. You should be fine.

Reckless on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They're going to have you fill out an I-9 form.

There's a list of acceptable documents on there; you can have one from List A or something from List B AND something from List C.

A passport is on List A, so that should actually be all you need. A driver's license is List B and a Social Security card is List C, so you would need both of those.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Call the Barnes and Noble and ask them. Passport is usually one of those catch-all documents (since you need a social security card to get one), so I think you should be ok. Call to check though.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Why are you still online? Don't be late to your interview. Take your birth cert and passport, you'll be fine.

Even if you cant find your SSN card, they will often let you bring it in at a later date for a copy. If they even want it after the other docs you provide. Which they shouldn't.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They want your SSC because they need the number for tax reasons, do they not? It's not about proving your identity.

You're going to have to find it at some point.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    They want your SSC because they need the number for tax reasons, do they not? It's not about proving your identity.

You're going to have to find it at some point.

You can provide your employer with the number without them ever seeing the actual card.

Reckless on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Not physically having the card shouldn't prevent him from gaining employment if he has other documents at his disposal.

But yes, he needs to have applied for a replacement card yesterday. If nothing else, for the headaches it avoids.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you have your passport, it's all you need. You don't need your state ID, SSC, birth certificate or anything else. Your passport is the be-all and end-all of identification when it comes to employment.

We just had to re-do the I-9's of 45 people because we're changing payroll providers at work, so trust me, I'm familiar with this.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png