As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sore throat and the lumpy feeling

rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I woke up today with a sore throat.

I can only tell when swallowing that it is even a bother, otherwise it feels like there is a lump, which oddly enough only feels like its on the esophagus side of the throat. I say that because I can really only feel it while swallowing, but any "forceful" movement of air feels normal.

I have no other symptoms, though I think a lymph node is a bit swollen on my neck.

If it's not any better tomorrow I'm going to the doc's after work...
What could it be?

Initially I just suspected it was irritated from the weekends shenanigans (Practical yelling in a loud club, cigarettes, beer, etc) but I'm not so sure anymore.

Oh and I keep getting this feeling like I have to burp, but it subsides after it reaches the esophagus. Acid reflux?

Double edit: I've got till the 21st to get better! Lets make it happen.

rfalias on

• Options
    gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Tonsillitis, or swollen tonsils that are infected. Get a penlight and look at the back of your throat with mirror. If you see white patches then its an infection. Totally sucks.

gigEsmalls on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    gigEsmalls wrote: »
    Tonsillitis, or swollen tonsils that are infected. Get a penlight and look at the back of your throat with mirror. If you see white patches then its an infection. Totally sucks.

Had my tonsils removed ages ago

rfalias on
  • Options
    nuclearalchemistnuclearalchemist Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Probably just some infection that got set off from the weekend of fun-ness. Give it a day, if it gets worse or doesn't feel better, go to the doctor. Probably nothing more than a routine infection; I get the same way.

nuclearalchemist on
    ~Eigen-fleichen
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, just worried cause I'm going to cali on the 21st, need this to be done and gone by then!
    In-N- Out waits for noone!

rfalias on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Could be Pharyngitis (sorry it's Wikipedia).

Or rather, it more appropriately is, so you need to determine the cause. Respiratory irritants like breathing bad air is common... it could be a cold...

It could be Esophagitis, which would/could be caused by acid reflux.

If it doesn't seem to be getting better after two days or so, I'd go get it checked out, but I wouldn't worry too much if it feels like it's starting to clear up.

And, I'm not a doctor, I just play one on the Intertubes because my dad was and I was a nerd and read a lot of medical journals as a kid. =)

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DibsDibs Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Um, sounds like the first symptom I get when I'm about to be hit with.. the common cold.

Dibs on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Could be half a million things. A boring infection, strep throat, mono, mumps, whatever. Definitely go to the doctor if it's not better tomorrow, as a lot of the things it could be are pretty infectious. If you have a deadline to get better, you'll also want to get on antibiotics quick-like.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well now it feels like my uvula is touching the back of my throat 0_o
    Still hard to swallow, still feeling like I have to burp but cant...
    Going to try and duck out of work for a few hours to hit the docs...

rfalias on