As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Void - An adventure/role-playing/after-life/painting/horror/survival/dating game

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Megazver wrote: »
    Xantus wrote: »
    im superjazzed about this. can't wait to be running around in a panic looking for some yellow misty shit so I don't die.... in the afterlife...

Or drop into Nightmare, the other afterlife below the one you're in. The one the Brothers came from, in reward for their good behavior. They consider this afterlife to be their awesome Paradise, so Nightmare probably kind of sucks!

I'm pretty sure it's called Scarytown. Nightmare's after Double Hell, but before Shadow Badow Bo Badow.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Eddy wrote: »
    im superjazzed about this. can't wait to be running around in a panic looking for some yellow misty shit so I don't die.... in the afterlife...

Or drop into Nightmare, the other afterlife below the one you're in. The one the Brothers came from, in reward for their good behavior. They consider this afterlife to be their awesome Paradise, so Nightmare probably kind of sucks!

I'm pretty sure it's called Scarytown. Nightmare's after Double Hell, but before Shadow Badow Bo Badow.

Now someone needs to post the comic where Tycho explains the different levels of the Underworld to Gabe.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ^^^ Yes, you got the reference! Yay you!
    Eddy wrote: »

Well, Nightmare is there somewhere.

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Axen, I chose informative over funny.

I heartily regret that decision now.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Maybe it's my few hours of sleep or my lack of coffee, but I can't tell if I am being insulted. :(

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm only on my first coffee today so if I overlooked it just get the mods to ban me.

There's a release date for the UK in the OP but I don't see one for the US and I can't find information on a US release anywhere. Are we getting this? If so, when?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't know yet. There may be a US release, there may not. If there isn't, it might not be hard to import it with digital distribution like people were able to do with Pathologic.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It would blow my mind if they didn't release it here in some form (although I prefer to have a physical copy). I can understand a game made for Japanese audiences not being available over here due to issues like translation, completely different audience, etc., but to ignore the US entirely on things like this would really lower your potential player base.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If it was up to the developer I'm sure it would be released everywhere. But it took a long time for them to find a publisher for the English version and countries outside of Russia, and even then they (Atari) seem to have dropped it and it's been picked up by another (Mamba Games new adventure game label, Odyssia) publisher.

I don't think this game will sell well and it will be ridiculously hard to market, so I doubt a US publisher is dying to get a hold of it. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to describe the game and came up with a rambling page of nonsense that only people who've played it might understand.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Got a point this game does lack spacemarines, football and plastic instruments. Damn, it looks so cool though.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmm...there's no word on digital downloading of this is there? hmm...

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Hmm...there's no word on digital downloading of this is there? hmm...

Digital downloading is a 100% safe bet, at least from the UK, as the publisher had a press release about the first games that will be downloadable with their label and The Void is one of them.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    well I just guess we'll have to hope we Americans will be able to D/L it too.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    The game just looks unmissable. Hopefully it plays as well and as stimulatingly as it looks.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The LxRThe LxR Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hello everyone!

One of the devs here. )
    I'll try to watch this thread and answer your questions if you have any.
    I can't promise I'll check it often, but i'll try. Also, I regularly check our studio forum, you can ask the question there too.

http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewforum.php?f=28 - here's the link to the English section. :)

And the most frequently asked question is — how good will the localization be. This time we're doing the translation in house (to be more specific, I've translated the game), then the texts are proof-read by Sam <hydra9> Jeffreys and his friend Luchian Durell, and if that wasn't enough, Mark Barrett is doing additional editing. The English translation turned out near perfect, in my opinion. (While the German voiceovers are the bast, even better than the original ones!)
    So, no worries, no more incomprehensible gibberish, no-sir-e!

A big warm thanks to Clevinger for bringing the good word!
    Over and out :)

The LxR on
    How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hey awesome, it's always great to see devs available to answer questions -- on other forums than their own, no less!

So if I may be so bold, do you have an answer for the US? Will it be released here at the same time as the UK, and only in digital form?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just saw this thread and this game looks pretty crazy and weird and cool. It will be on my radar for sure.

Also, I agree with josh that it's cool to see devs posting on various forums about their games, especially our own (because ours is a pretty good forum I think).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    LxR, your studio is awesome. Don't ever compromise. Not even in the face of armageddon.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    2joshofalltrades: Unfortunately, I can't tell for sure. Most of the dates are decided on by the publisher and released to public at the same time, so no insider data. BUT, the game will definitely be available as a digital download by the European publisher.

2Cherrn: Thanks! Don't worry, we won't.
    If you haven't, check out our interview with me and Nikolay (the sole man behind ALL 1.200 pages of text in Pathologic), where we talk about our goals and motivations at RockPaperShotgun:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/02/03/rps-interviews-ice-pick-lodge/
    Tags: gaming Renaissance, Russian gaming culture, artistic tools in gaming ;)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/01/26/unknown-pleasures-typrop/ - there's also an article about the Void, but it's an early one, so not very informative.

The LxR on
    How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The LxR wrote: »
    2joshofalltrades: Unfortunately, I can't tell for sure. Most of the dates are decided on by the publisher and released to public at the same time, so no insider data. BUT, the game will definitely be available as a digital download by the European publisher.

So what I'm taking from this is that we'll still be able to purchase the game, just not in physical form. That's cool, although for something as odd/cool as this, I do love having a physical package to put on my bookshelf. No biggie though, I'm sure the digital product will be awesome and that's what matters.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, you can just import the UK version if you really want a physical copy.

Also, that's a rad interview.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The LxR wrote: »

So what I'm taking from this is that we'll still be able to purchase the game, just not in physical form.

I wouldn't be surprised. You could do that with Pathologic through Gamersgate. I don't think it ever got a US release, either.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh man, I want this so hard. I still haven't gotten too far into Pathologic, but I have absolutely no problem with a new game from you chaps.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Bad news, everyone.

Looks like the publisher moved the release date to the 16-th of October. I have no idea why, since the English master disk is done for some time now and even includes the yet-to-be-released patch over the German version. Probably, it's to make room for the Void, as there are many other releases at the same time.

Still going to answer questions about the game through. :)
    Also, don't read to much about the German version - the patch makes some stuff a lot more logical. ;)

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm trying to score myself a copy of Pathologic, but I can't seem to find it on Amazon.

Does anyone have any advice?

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Clevinger on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am all for both incidental nudity in games and insane but logical difficulty. I really appreciated Pathologic for not babying me and guiding me along the safe path; from the moment you start that game, you're pretty much fucked, it's just a question of how long can you keep from getting TOO fucked and if you can beat the game in that time.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Also —

Resolution Magazine review - 7/10
    http://resolution-magazine.co.uk/content/review-the-void/

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Delivering active provocation and constant near-panic

This, along with the 9 for originality, is enough to get me to purchase on day 1.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Those reviews definitely make this sound more like art than a game, but perhaps it's precisely both. And just as some may not appreciate the artistic vision that forms a film, there will be others that feel the same way about this game. I'm not even sure that I will be able to fully appreciate the game, but after reading those reviews, it sounds like the kind of experience that I do not wish to miss. I definitely hope that we are able to buy it through the UK digital distribution channel from here in the US.

Edit: I attempted to pre-order this from mamba-games.co.uk (as I saw on the ice-pick forums). Paypal is having some issue with the address that it is getting from them, but I have emailed them (Mamba) and hope to have it straightened out soon. I look forward to playing this when it is released.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have to say, progression in Pathologic is so goddamn difficult that I find myself relying way too much on the LP, but there's a quality to it that just makes me want to understand what the hell is happening.

This looks far more polished, and hopefully I'll be able to just play it, rather than walk through it.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Great interviews, thanks for posting.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    This looks far more polished, and hopefully I'll be able to just play it, rather than walk through it.

I think the gameplay part is much more accessible than Pathologic. Though from what I've heard there's a randomized aspect to it that makes it as unforgiving as what you might expect a horrifying afterlife to be.

But yeah, there won't be a half-translated game that is very text-heavy and mainly quest-based.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Quintin Smith (the author of the fenomenal three part Butchering Pathologic review and the interview) has writeen some preliminary thought on The Void.
    http://videosgames.wordpress.com/2009/09/23/the-void-the-review-the-hype/
    Also, expect a proper review on Rock Paper Shotgun from him.

Heads up, penny arcaders! :)

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The game has gone gold and you can (at least according to a PR dude of the publisher) pre-order it with free shipping up until October 1st from **the page is NFSW, as it's got an image of a breast in it from the trailer.**here***. I would assume this only applies to people in Europe, but I'm sure you can contact them and ask if it's available for shipping in the US as well.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, the more I read about this game the more I realize that I've been looking for something fresh to play. I just hope that this game will be better translated than the abomination that was the localization for Pathologic.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Quintin Smith's more conclusive thoughts on the game.

It sounds amazing.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    LxR, you've already done games about Pestilence and, now, Famine. What's next, War or Death?

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities