Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Too dammed spicy and hot: A tale of stew and woe

KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I put a beef stew on this morning, in the slow cooker. To cut a long story short I used the wrong side of the coarse pepper container and poured far too much into the stew. I thought I had taken most of it out, but having now returned home I've discovered it is still dammed spicy/hot. I still can stomach the heat level but ideally I'd like to cool it down

I've tried putting a little bit of full cream milk in it, which hasn't done a lot. I've also had a look about online for suggestions - with sour cream, coconut cream or limes being suggested. Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions? I've not decided whether to have it with something else, say mashed potatoes or rice as yet. Any thoughts on whether one of those (or something else) may help cool it down some more too?

The stew itself has beef, potatoes, carrots, chopped tomatoes and yellow onions as the main ingredients. I've also added salt, paprika and of course black pepper. It has been slow cooking for about 7 hours now, with the intention that I eat it in about 2 hours. I plan to put some fresh bay leaves in soon as well.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
Kalkino on

Posts

  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    An unflavored yogurt?

    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    ranch dressing after its done

    FyreWulff on
  • ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Try adding some beef stock or gravy. Maybe eat with mashed potatoes and/or biscuits.

    Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kalkino wrote: »
    So I put a beef stew on this morning, in the slow cooker. To cut a long story short I used the wrong side of the coarse pepper container and poured far too much into the stew. I thought I had taken most of it out, but having now returned home I've discovered it is still dammed spicy/hot. I still can stomach the heat level but ideally I'd like to cool it down

    I've tried putting a little bit of full cream milk in it, which hasn't done a lot. I've also had a look about online for suggestions - with sour cream, coconut cream or limes being suggested. Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

    You mean course ground black pepper? If so, the reason why what you've tried doesn't really work is that those suggestions are intended for heat caused by capsaicin found in chili peppers.

    Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    adding liquid (stock is probably best), cooking it down a bit, and then some sour cream will probably help. As will eating it with rice or mash potato.

    BobCesca on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    So I put a beef stew on this morning, in the slow cooker. To cut a long story short I used the wrong side of the coarse pepper container and poured far too much into the stew. I thought I had taken most of it out, but having now returned home I've discovered it is still dammed spicy/hot. I still can stomach the heat level but ideally I'd like to cool it down

    I've tried putting a little bit of full cream milk in it, which hasn't done a lot. I've also had a look about online for suggestions - with sour cream, coconut cream or limes being suggested. Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

    You mean course ground black pepper? If so, the reason why what you've tried doesn't really work is that those suggestions are intended for heat caused by capsaicin found in chili peppers.

    This is correct, it was coarse ground black pepper that was spilt. Anything at all work on that kind of pepper?

    Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pour a can of Guiness into it.
    Of course, you could make a side of mashed potatoes - serve the stew then ladle the mashed potatoes on top and have yourself some Sheppard's Pie.

    Slagmire on
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    An unflavored yogurt?

    Yogurt, sour cream, any fatty dairy product. The spicy part of chili spices is capsaicin, which is water-soluble (this is why drinking water just makes it worse), and fat reabsorbs it.

    But yeah, that won't do much for black pepper (which isn't related to chili peppers). It contains piperine, not capsaicin.

    Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, to summerise -

    1. Try and dilute
    2. Accompany the stew with something to soak up the flavour, say mash or rice?

    Edit - I've thought of a third option

    Go down to the pub and have a beer to drown my sorrow and also prepare for the task at hand, eating fucking hot stew

    Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd put rice in it and then eat it in a bread bowl, also if I understand your description of the great pepper spill of '09 correctly you're using pre-crushed black pepper? Blasphemy. Thou shalt grind the pepper fresh, or thou shalt suffer the consequences.

    Also try some lemon, it can help cut the spice.

    PracticalProblemSolver on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd put rice in it and then eat it in a bread bowl, also if I understand your description of the great pepper spill of '09 correctly you're using pre-crushed black pepper? Blasphemy. Thou shalt grind the pepper fresh, or thou shalt suffer the consequences.

    Also try some lemon, it can help cut the spice.

    Father, forgive me my trespass. One of your servants, a common Wasp, stung me as I departed to visit the pub. This was no doubt to a Lesson

    So having been to the local pub with some friends, where I had the Sunday Roast Pork loin I have determined my solution to be this: let it cool down and make some sort of Cottage Pie tomorrow

    Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You could always split it into 2, add more veg and stock to each half to dilute it. And stop using ready ground pepper, its nasty!

    LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

    For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

    "The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You could always split it into 2, add more veg and stock to each half to dilute it. And stop using ready ground pepper, its nasty!

    But some of us have awesome little salt & pepper shakers that require ready ground pepper! :(

    Arminas on
  • PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Those are for the table, not the kitchen.

    PracticalProblemSolver on
  • KidDynamiteKidDynamite Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Those are for the table, not the kitchen.

    Gosh I like this guy.

    Try just adding another potato and leave it cooking.

    I love black pepper, and I'm really trying to puzzle out how adding it made a dish "too hot" but whatves.

    KidDynamite on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Those are for the table, not the kitchen.
    I love black pepper, and I'm really trying to puzzle out how adding it made a dish "too hot" but whatves.
    Kalkino wrote: »
    So I put a beef stew on this morning, in the slow cooker. To cut a long story short I used the wrong side of the coarse pepper container and poured far too much into the stew.

    FyreWulff on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    you can send it my way... i love black pepper. then you wouldn't have to worry about it. i'll provide it a good home :P

    Feldorn on
    steam_sig.png
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd advise eating the stew with a fine mush, but I'm worried that might be too spicy for you too.

    Wuss.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lots of cultures use starches to cut down the heat on spicy foods. Rice is popular; potato also works.
    Sentry wrote:
    I'd advise eating the stew with a fine mush, but I'm worried that might be too spicy for you too.

    Wuss.

    It's not his fault; as you may have gathered from the comments about the pub, he's British. I'm frankly impressed that he's cooking with spices at all. :P

    SammyF on
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Those are for the table, not the kitchen.

    Time to upgrade my kitchen.

    Arminas on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Guys, appreciate all the advice, it just goes to show H/A is a pretty random but awesome resource.

    Re the stew - I've been out all week, so the bowl is still sitting in the fridge. We are having a stand-off

    Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
Sign In or Register to comment.