Options

Car Gauges -> USB

Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay if you youtube search "outgauge USB" you get a ton of awesome things like this.

Now this seems awesome, I recently ordered a G25 (glee!) and was mentioning this to a friend.
Who was like "hey I got an extra set of gauges downstairs" and sure enough he does.

No looking into this seems to be a ton of people doing it themselves which usually leads to tons of guides online for a nice DIY project. But I can't find a damn thing.

I did run into a few saying the wiring all came from a betainnovations.com which of course now seems to have closed up shop. I can't find any of their products on ebay or the like either. Using timemachine I managed to get onto betainnovations site but still found nothing.

Anybody have anything on these awesome projects people are up to?
I really want to try my hand in it.

(the post seemed a little vague, I just mean the gauges)

Mmmm... Cocks... on

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Looks like there is a forum devoted to doing this here.

There is also a guy building a USB controller in Moe's, perhaps you could work with him to build an adapter?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmmm... from an electronics perspective, looks pretty straightforward:

1.) Get data (rpm, gear, mph/kmph) from computer to your microcontroller via any means (apparently, USB is the method of choice here, but the serial port might also be an option)
    2.) Microcontroller to process data and produce an output voltage
    3.) Output voltage used to control the gauges

Are you, or do you have any friends, who are good with electronics/microcontrollers? If so, it shouldn't be too hard to get something quick and dirty up.

The hard part, it seems, would be getting the data from the racing sim itself.

I'm unable to draw you a wiring diagram since I have no idea of the specifics involved.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ah my god thank you!
    I've been Googling for days!

My Google-fu is clearly weak.

Edit: Hey Ecco, yea I have a friend who's pretty down and dirty with electronics. I simply couldn't find a single thing about this which was killing me.

But as for getting information from the game I do know of a few games with programs just for that.

Mmmm... Cocks... on