As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Article on MSNBC: Gamers are 35, fat, and depressed

RaisingLazarusRaisingLazarus Registered User new member
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
Thought you folks might be interested in this article. Yes, I did register for this forum solely for the purpose of sharing it. I otherwise would have remained an unregistered lurker.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32463904/ns/technology_and_science-games/

RaisingLazarus on

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is that true?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is that true?

we'll find out at pax

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thought you folks might be interested in this article. Yes, I did register for this forum solely for the purpose of sharing it. I otherwise would have remained an unregistered lurker.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32463904/ns/technology_and_science-games/

What the hell.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As was noted on Slashdot:

1) This average is only based on adult gamers
    2) What's the average American adult?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I resent the statements they're making in regards to gamers.

I mean, I'm only 29 here.

see317 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This can't be right - Wii Fit and DDR make it impossible for fat gamers to exist.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Garthor on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    23, check, and check-maybe.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So the research determined that people who play online games are more likely to have friendships grow with other people on those online games compared to people who don't play games at all.

Amazing.

Sanders on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey, at least we moved out of our parent's basement.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The prevalence of depression and fitness threads on H/A corroborates this, if only anecdotally. PA might be unique in its self-awareness.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That's a bold-faced lie! If life wasn't so pointless and miserable I swear to God I'd take the five minutes to lift my lardass out of this chair, take off my party hat from celebrating my 35th birthday, and smack some sense into you!

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, they've interviewed two or three 35 year old depressed overweight gamers in a region of the United States and they've been able to determine from it that gamers are 35, depressed and overweight.

Fascinating.

Djiem on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thin, mid twenties and happy.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Isn't 552 a pretty small survey number?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Isn't 552 a pretty small survey number?

They all come from the same place too.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You'd be depressed if you lived in seatac MIRITE FELLAS HEYOOOOOO

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    VeitsevVeitsev Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Maybe people that are introverted, fat, and depressed are more likely to play games? The study makes it seem like gaming is the cause and I love the little part about "addiction".

Veitsev on
    nibblersig-1.jpg
    Steam 3DS: 1160-9885-2554
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2009
    kaliyama wrote: »
    The prevalence of depression and fitness threads on H/A corroborates this, if only anecdotally. PA might be unique in its self-awareness.

This reasoning is specious at best.

The only part of the study that I would take issue with however is the age. I have a wealth of anecdotal evidence that gamers are largely fat and prone to mental health issues.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, the average American is overweight, so obviously the average American gamer is overweight.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm too unemployed to be fat! And only 29. And a goddamn sexy beast. ...despressingly lonely, yes.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    if the average gamer is fat, imagine how fat the fattest gamer is

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    Well, the average American is overweight, so obviously the average American gamer is overweight.

I would hypothesise that the gamer population is on average fatter (in terms of body fat percentage, not the largely ridiculous and redundant BMI) than the average american

Tube on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What's a "gamer"?
    Is it anyone who plays games? Isn't the average american a gamer?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

The only part of the study that I would take issue with however is the age. I have a wealth of anecdotal evidence that gamers are largely fat and prone to mental health issues.

Out of curiosity, how much of that comes from running this forum, and how much from other sources?

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I would define gamer as someone for whom videogames and related interests are their primary recreational activity.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Out of curiosity, how much of that comes from running this forum, and how much from other sources?

Almost exclusively from this forum and related forum activities such as PAX. Since the majority of PAX attendees do not use the forum I think it's a fairly safe extrapolation.

Tube on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Asia must be the fattest & depressed place on Earth!

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am a software developer on top of being a gamer. Oh shit.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Penny Arcade needs to make a depressed gaming mascot.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SuzanneChoney.thumb.jpg

Yeah. Here's a pic of the author of the story. She looks like a real winner too. How does she see through the rolls of fat?

Drake on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm depressed, but not those other two things.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    SuzanneChoney.thumb.jpg

Yeah. Here's a pic of the author of the story. She looks like a real winner too. How does she see through the rolls of fat?

Oh good, call the author fat. That's really mature and is an effective counter-argument.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    SuzanneChoney.thumb.jpg

Oh good, call the author fat. That's really mature and is an effective counter-argument.

I bet she's a fucking whore too.

Drake on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I would hypothesise that the gamer population is on average fatter (in terms of body fat percentage, not the largely ridiculous and redundant BMI) than the average american

On the one hand though, I'd say gamers who aren't fat tend towards being skinny (this was the original stereotype wasn't it?). So it's kind of a wash.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    SuzanneChoney.thumb.jpg

Out of curiosity, did this hit a little too close to home for you

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

On the one hand though, I'd say gamers who aren't fat tend towards being skinny (this was the original stereotype wasn't it?). So it's kind of a wash.

Gaming as a hobby requires almost no physical movement. It's hardly a surprise gamers are either fat or skinny. Just as it isn't a surprise that most writers wear glasses. Their physical ailments/differences are a product of their common activities. Gaming is also, in many ways, a lonely activity. Depression is a symptom of lonely lives so again, hardly needs fucking sherlock holmes to figure out that someone who spends most of their free time sitting down moving just their thumbs indoors on their own is overweight and depressed.

Though the sample size and method of data collection are far far too disputable to call this even remotely accurate research. But as Tube says, you can understand it because it fits with most of our own collected anecdotal evidence. So while the article isn't wrong, it's hardly bringing something new to the table and I might well call it redundant.

It would be different if the article was 'college football players on average are healthy, happy and 22 years old. Nothing really groundbreaking here.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well it's a hobby.

It's the issue Tube broached, how did they/do you define gamer? I know I couldn't do any number of hobbies for a crazy amount of time, especially long term. Which I imagine except for your extreme players is the norm.

It might be more of an issue of certain personalities being attracted to a hobby with no physical activity, I don't think they're too busy playing to get any exercise.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    SuzanneChoney.thumb.jpg

Heh, not really. I'm 39, I weigh around 160 pounds at 5' 10", I've been married to the same girl for about fifteen years and we have a son together, and I have a ton of friends. I led a very active lifestyle until I became physically disabled (a possible side benefit of leading an active lifestyle) a couple of years ago, but I still manage to keep my weight down despite the fact that it takes tons of effort for me to do much of anything now. I've also been a gamer since Pong, I played D&D out of a blue box (as well as Traveller and tons of other PnP RPG's), I've done tabletop wargaming, computer gaming, and a decent bit of console gaming.

It does bother the hell out of me though that some some people are all fired up to make games (in all of their forms) the source of some of our societies biggest problems. And then I see her picture attached to the article. Lo and behold, she lives in a fucking glass house. But I bet she has a "good" reason that she isn't a super model.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    SuzanneChoney.thumb.jpg

Heh, not really. I'm 39, I weigh around 160 pounds at 5' 10", I've been married to the same girl for about fifteen years and we have a son together, and I have a ton of friends. I led a very active lifestyle until I became physically disabled (a possible side benefit of leading an active lifestyle) a couple of years ago, but I still manage to keep my weight down despite the fact that it takes tons of effort for me to do much of anything now. I've also been a gamer since Pong, I played D&D out of a blue box (as well as Traveller and tons of other PnP RPG's), I've done tabletop wargaming, computer gaming, and a decent bit of console gaming.

It does bother the hell out of me though that some some people are all fired up to make games (in all of their forms) the source of some of our societies biggest problems. And then I see her picture attached to the article. Lo and behold, she lives in a fucking glass house. But I bet she has a "good" reason that she isn't a super model.

True as it may be, you're opinion becomes invalid shortly after you counter her argument by insulting her physical appearance. If anything, you're supporting the idea that nerds are socially incompetent.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png