As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ultima Online? Anyone?

EeveelutionEeveelution Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
Was just going back through some old disks of mine and games I played in past lives and stumbled across my Ultima Online Disks. Does anyone still play this game, is there a player base somewhere hidden in the confines of a sacred room somewhere still following the Virtues?

Please Let me know!

PS3 Tag: cryptzicle Cryptzicle the DK
Eeveelution on

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Holy god, UO is still running?

KiTA on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Theres a lot of shards out there if you look around on the interwebs. I burned out on that game when i was a kid.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Official UO is just a decaying husk, longing for nourishment from days of old.

There are some sweet player-run shards out there. I believe the runuo.com servers are the most popular if you're looking to jump back in.

Monsty on
  • EeveelutionEeveelution Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yah i wouldn't mind. I used to be a big shot... I remember the Japanese shards were always packed even up til this last year.

Eeveelution on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, they are releasing a new expansion, Stygian Abyss. So I would guess that some attention is flocking back to official servers.

Lucky Cynic on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They really should have killed the player shards when they first came out.

KiTA on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    They really should have killed the player shards when they first came out.

I'm not sure how much revenue that would actually generate. I feel like few of the people on player run shards would actually be willing to pay a monthly fee for UO at this point, but I could be way off.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, you aren't just paying for access to a game. You are actually paying to support that game and if more of the die hards were on the actual real servers as opposed to player run shards, I'm sure UO would get the attention it deserves.

I mean, look at EQ. Its been around and still gets new expansions and new content and support from its devs despite being around and through hell and high water.

Lucky Cynic on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, you aren't just paying for access to a game. You are actually paying to support that game and if more of the die hards were on the actual real servers as opposed to player run shards, I'm sure UO would get the attention it deserves.

I mean, look at EQ. Its been around and still gets new expansions and new content and support from its devs despite being around and through hell and high water.

Good theory. Except both EQ and UO are total walking corpses and are not what the people playing the free shards have any interest in whatsoever. Most of the allure of the free shards is that they recreate what these games used to be. Not what they are now.

Brian on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brian wrote: »

Good theory. Except both EQ and UO are total walking corpses and are not what the people playing the free shards have any interest in whatsoever. Most of the allure of the free shards is that they recreate what these games used to be. Not what they are now.

If there was a shard of EQ without expansions I would play it. Oh dear god I would train gnolls or sand giants on you all and laugh while doing it.

Jubal77 on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2009
    the ability to host your own server was such a great part of UO. I remember running a server off my desktop and playing with friends just to mess around for a few hours, build stuff, check out unseen character/monster models, travel to insane/unreachable places.

Good times.

Also, the only reason freeshards are popular is because they normally use older (non expansion or just t2a) rulesets so it gives more of the nostalgia/classic feel.

Unknown User on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    the ability to host your own server was such a great part of UO. I remember running a server off my desktop and playing with friends just to mess around for a few hours, build stuff, check out unseen character/monster models, travel to insane/unreachable places.

Good times.

Also, the only reason freeshards are popular is because they normally use older (non expansion or just t2a) rulesets so it gives more of the nostalgia/classic feel.

Corp Por! OMG its is burned into my being. I dont look back on UO very fondly as it was my introduction to internet douchaggery.

I remember I had saved up money from running skull caps for insane profits and bought myself a little mining shack in the mountains to level up my crafting skills but lo and behold some guy waited outside my house and waited till i came back encumbered by ore and killed me and took my only key to the house.

It was a lesson in that game that I never forgot but man did that suck bad.

Other things I remember was having the noteriety npc trapped in our castle that you fed every hour or so. Teleporting into our rivals city in the swamp and laying waste to them and robbing thier stores. And the wandering squads of douchbags corp por-ing newbs and others outside of cities etc.

Jubal77 on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, when you didn't have to stop moving to cast...

I'd be running for my life and all I'd see was

Corp Por
    Corp Por
    Corp Por
    Corp Por

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was a big fan of Kal Vas Flam and a halberd myself.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2009
    Unknown User on
  • EeveelutionEeveelution Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rodent242 wrote: »
    I was a big fan of Kal Vas Flam and a halberd myself.

Before the whole Age of Shadows ect. That was a fun way to drop someone.

I honestly think that when they tried to Force Ultima 3rd Dawn (3d) On everyone is when I took a shit. The graphics were sharp, but just laggy as hell.

Eeveelution on
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

(rant on)
    eq hasnt had a major graphics update since luclin (2002?) eq cant expand the size of bags beyond 10 OR increase the number of inventory slots because they are hard coded and when they try to change it causes game instability, eq has been rescripting the same boss encounters with slightly different skins for the past 5 expansions, eq siphons off the money it gaines from subscribers micro transactions and cards and either pockets it or invests in other games.

(nerd rage has expired)
    (rant off)

farbekrieg on