As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good, nonfunny graphic tees?

bfickybficky Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Where can I get some good graphic tees that aren't funny or geeky or punny or pop-culture-y? I've bought shirts from Threadless.com and Noisebot.com, but the only ones I wear nowadays are the ones that are generic graphic tees, not the ones with Legos and whale-pianos or baby godzillas. Searching for "graphic tees" brings up lots of sites with the latter, not much of the former.

Bonus points if someone can suggest an actual B&M place where I can try stuff on (recently lost 40 lbs, I have no idea what size I am now). When I accidentally look up as I walk through Macy's on my way in the mall, all of their tees have huge skulls on them and they're $50. Hot Topic looks ridiculous and emo. I'm not looking for those (unless I'm over-generalizing). I'm in Dallas though, the chain store capital, so if you know of a store that has good, cheap-ish t-shirts, chances are there's one around here somewhere.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
bficky on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Old Navy can have some non-ridiculous ones. I've also gotten some from Anchor Blue, but I don't know how wide spread they are.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    http://shirt.woot.com/ varies from subtle to ridiculous. Today's is more silly but check tomorrow and it'll be different.

Target has a pretty good range from subtle designs to stupid fratboy crap. Also cheap.

H and M too, although that's going to be a bit more expensive.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    For Online shops: Design by Humans has more graphic/artsy tees, and Teefury, their sister site, is a place to watch, too. Tilteed and shirtfight Have limited selections right now, but may have cool stuff in the future.

For actual stores, when walking around the mall you may fair better in slightly preppy stores, but those shirts are also going to be like 20-30 bucks a lot of the time. But, if you have shirts you know fit you, I would just compare sizing charts before buying offline, and only buy one or two shirts the first time around to confirm the fit.

Iruka on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    beautiful/decay's website

NotYou on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    admanb on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I sympathize with this. It is difficult finding a physical store with graphic t's not featuring some combo of: skulls, tattoo themed art, or random bits of heraldry.

But, you can always start moving away from t's to other types of shirts for casual wear, if you want to class it up a little.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    He lives in Dallas.
    I bet he wears a short sleeved shirt 360 days out of the year.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    HoovesHooves Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Try upper playground. They have some lame stuff but also some cool stuff and the cool stuff is generally pretty cool.

Hooves on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Assault Shirts

Found this place awhile ago. They look pretty cool and they don't really have any words.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Uneetee has some good ones often

And shirt.woot as was mentioned.

Khavall on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    http://www.threadless.com/

they will have some interesting non-joke ones.

http://www.threadless.com/product/1994/The_Homesick_Cosmonaut#zoom

that one looks cool

http://www.threadless.com/product/1995/The_City_Below#zoom

this one looks pretty sweet too.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll pimp shirt.woot again because for $10 it's like c'mon. That's the price of a non-printed t-shirt at Target, yet these are printed, often with very cool designs, and shipped to you for $10. For the price you can simply guess at your size and get the next size up or down on the following shirt.

I added it to my RSS feeds and I just keep an eye on it. There's some lame shirts but tomorrow there's a new one, and there's weekly derbies where you often get some very cool designs.

I was a big fan of threadless, but they've gotten quite expensive.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh neat, Shirt Woot actually ships to Canada unlike regular woot.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I occasionally go into Urban Outfitters for t-shirts and shop off the sale rack. They really only sell graphic tees. Their new shirts are like twenty bucks though. Sale rack 10ish.

Maticore on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's kind of telling that the idea of non funny graphic tees didn't even register in my mind.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    www.designbyhumans.com is great. Some of their shirts are a little weird, but a lot of it is really awesome and have ended up being my favorite shirts.

Scrum on
  • Options
    timmyblogtimmyblog Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    I own the Assault Shirts website and will hook you up with a coupon code if you want anything from us. We have sizes ranging from s-3xl

Send me an email: tim@assaultshirts.com

Same goes for anyone else on the forums who wants anything. We have free shipping on all our stuff.

timmyblog on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    teefury.com

Only one per day, but sometimes they are really cool.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    He lives in Dallas.
    I bet he wears a short sleeved shirt 360 days out of the year.

And the other 5 days of the year, I stick a long sleeve undershirt under my tee and call it a day.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've started looking through the sites, and while a lot of the shirts have designs that are huge (cover basically the entire front of the shirt) and seem to look cool in a going out sorta way, there are some that have a few cool designs that are more my style (smaller, less showy). I went to Target last night after dinner and got a "STP" shirt that reminded me of a Stone Temple Pilots shirt I had 15 years ago, only with the real brand logo, not the band's version. Most of their shirts though fell into the "cover the entire front with skulls, shiny material, and chinese characters going clubbing shirts" category. My wife gave me a "I don't think you're hip enough to wear that" look when I tried those on.

I am basically trying to find shirts to cut the grass in, wear after work, wear to dinner. I don't wear my cartoony, funny shirts anymore after taking my kids to the park and having three year olds ask about my shirts (Is that a dinosaur? I have Legos too! I like your Yoshi shirt). Just boring, not going-out-worthy, just one step above solid color shirts.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Teextile has a new set of 5 designs each week, available (AFAIK) for only that week. They have funny ones (such as the "Horse With No Name" design currently on display), but they also have just normal ones like the penguin design that was on Wednesday.

$10-$15, usually.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    man its threads like this that remind me that I need to make more shirts again. Too bad your not in Canada I could hook you up with original stuff.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BrotherVoodooBrotherVoodoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BrotherVoodoo on
    13669_988031669590_13908669_57296127_2429910_n.jpg
  • Options
    BrotherVoodooBrotherVoodoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    bficky wrote: »
    Bonus points if someone can suggest an actual B&M place where I can try stuff on (recently lost 40 lbs, I have no idea what size I am now). When I accidentally look up as I walk through Macy's on my way in the mall, all of their tees have huge skulls on them and they're $50. Hot Topic looks ridiculous and emo. I'm not looking for those (unless I'm over-generalizing). I'm in Dallas though, the chain store capital, so if you know of a store that has good, cheap-ish t-shirts, chances are there's one around here somewhere.

How tall are you, how much do you weigh? I'm 6'4, 170 and I rock Mediums and I still have room to breath. You're probably definitely a size if not two lower than you were

BrotherVoodoo on
    13669_988031669590_13908669_57296127_2429910_n.jpg
  • Options
    elfdudeelfdude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I toss my lot in with threadless. Almost all of my tshirts are threadless and they fit me the best of any shirt I've ever had. Their t's can vary from very complex to quite simple just keep your eye out they get new tshirts every month.

elfdude on
    Every man is wise when attacked by a mad dog; fewer when pursued by a mad woman; only the wisest survive when attacked by a mad notion.
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is a sweet collection of sites we have going here. :^:

Krikee on