As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Grad School Dress Code

PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Pretty much what the title says: is there an accepted dress code for graduate-level classes? I only ask because I had class tonight, and there was only one other guy there. He was in a nice shirt/tie, I was in a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. What's the proper etiquette (or whatever) for class?

PolloDiablo on

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man with the guys I know that are going to grad school I'd be happy if they're wearing pants.

admanb on
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When I was in law school there didn't seem to be any kind of dress code. People just wore whatever.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wouldn't worry about it. Depending on your classes I might not wear some of the sloppier stuff associated with undergrads (ie, cheerleader shorts for girls or basketball shorts & flip flops for guys might be inappropriate for some fields) but anything halfway decent ought to be fine unless you're giving a presentation or something.

EDIT: Then again, I always felt weird wearing that stuff to undergrad classes, so maybe I'm just weird

Duffel on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I routinely wore ripped jeans and metal t-shirts when I was finishing my MA, and I plan on doing the same when I go for my PhD. It should also be noted that this is what I wear when I teach undergraduate classes.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Most grad students don't even bathe.
    So you're already a step ahead!

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok, great. That makes me feel a lot better. I guess we can lock this, then, unless anyone has funny clothes stories or something.

PolloDiablo on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Grad school dress code isn't any different than undergrad dress code.

Tomanta on
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Grad school dress code isn't any different than undergrad dress code.

I would say it's a touch above that, only in the 'I might need recommendations from people I work with at some point, so I don't want them to think I'm a complete slob' sense

However, by touch above I mean "clean clothes that don't look like they were bought off a hobo down the street"; there are zero non-MD grad students here that wear dressy clothes

Gdiguy on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I had always heard that med/pharm students were legendary for their slobbiness.

Duffel on
  • CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pretty much what the title says: is there an accepted dress code for graduate-level classes? I only ask because I had class tonight, and there was only one other guy there. He was in a nice shirt/tie, I was in a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. What's the proper etiquette (or whatever) for class?

Only one other guy? What are you in, psychology or something?

Cognisseur on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cognisseur wrote: »

English. It's the very first class possible in the program, so maybe my crop of students is just imbalanced.

PolloDiablo on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cognisseur wrote: »

English. It's the very first class possible in the program, so maybe my crop of students is just imbalanced.

I always got the assholes wearing fucked up old corduroy and capes in my English classes. I'm so glad I'm not a Medievalist and I don't have to see those people anymore...

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    phd061209s.gif

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Based on my experience in grad school, that chart is entirely accurate.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    People dressed in business casual at my grad school, mostly because most of them were working full-time for the government and places like that and they were coming straight from work. I didn't want to stand out too much so while I wore jeans I usually wore a nice shirt or sweater. It really is a school by school thing. A friend of mine is in Harvard Law and people tend to dress nicely for class there but at Suffolk Law you get the mix of professionals coming from work and people rolling out of bed.

VisionOfClarity on