As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A request...[disregard]

RageRage Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Artist's Corner
**If this is not the place or appropriate, I apologize ahead of time and mods, feel free to lock it up.**

I shouldn't have half-assed posted this while at work. Works over in SE++....this, not so much.

Anyway - DISREGARD. I'll hit the Chat Thread at a later time when I've found an artist I wanna work with. :^:

[size=-8]
I'd like to requisition one of you (incredibly) talented folks to do a piece for me. I'd like a simple black & white portrait of my girlfriend, have a reference photo that I'd like you to work from, and the medium and final style is totally up to you.

It can be an 8x10 transpose in pencil on paper, greyscale watercolor on canvas, or even the wonders of Photoshop...I'm not picky, but I would like it to be something that:

a) you're proud of enough to sign your name on
b) is a piece worthy of a nice frame. Nothing extravagant, but this will be given to her as a gift.

I've seen an incredible amount of talent in these threads, and when the idea struck me to get a piece of art done with her likeness, this was the first place I thought of to try and make it happen.

There's no major time crunch, and cost is not an issue but no, I won't be paying premium dollar for a Photoshop job that I can do myself ;) There's a tangible difference in art done quickly for a buck and art that's done out of inspiration and love of the work. Hell, I'd even say post samples here and let the PA artist community judge them - whatever piece comes up winner, I'll take offline and we'll talk cost and shipping. :)

If this an acceptable and doable request, I'll post up the reference photo and some particulars in what it is I'm looking for.[/size]

Rage on

• Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think you post this sort of thing in the chat thread.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wrong place to ask for this, wrong to assume you won't have to pay to get this sort of thing done for you.

You seem to go out of the way to point out you could "do this yourself" and that there's a difference between art done for money and art done out of passion. Instead of assuming internet strangers have passion for your girlfriend, why don't *you* make her a portrait.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What? No, that's not what he's saying at all.

He's saying that he wants something very good, and that cost is not an issue. He just won't pay for crappy shit like the stuff he can do by himself.

Lern 2 red, nub

EDIT: Though, at a second glance, he is suggesting that people first make the thing, then get paid.

Dude, you'd be better off asking people interested in helping you to show you some of their other stuff, so that you may select them on artistic ability. You should really pick an artist before the thing is ready, because people won't work for free.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    RageRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Wrong place to ask for this, wrong to assume you won't have to pay to get this sort of thing done for you.

Never said I wouldn't pay for anything. What I won't pay for is a resized, sepia-toned Photoshop scan, but maybe that wasn't made clear.
    You seem to go out of the way to point out you could "do this yourself" and that there's a difference between art done for money and art done out of passion. Instead of assuming internet strangers have passion for your girlfriend, why don't *you* make her a portrait.

See above, sparky. And no, not once did I even allude to being able to "do this myself" - can I use Photoshop? Absolutely. And I absolutely love art and wish I had the talent to create some of the things I've seen on these boards - I don't, and by all rights I am more than willing to pay for a piece. I'd like to keep it reasonable, however, (not looking to spend more than $400 or), hence my leaning towards simplicity in b&w sketch or watercolor, etc.

No worries. I'll take it elsewhere.

Edit:
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    What? No, that's not what he's saying at all.

He's saying that he wants something very good, and that cost is not an issue. He just won't pay for crappy shit like the stuff he can do by himself.

Lern 2 red, nub

EDIT: Though, at a second glance, he is suggesting that people first make the thing, then get paid.

Dude, you'd be better off asking people interested in helping you to show you some of their other stuff, so that you may select them on artistic ability. You should really pick an artist before the thing is ready, because people won't work for free.

Yep you're absolutely right and I shouldn't have half-assed posted this while at work. Works over in SE++....this, not so much.

Anyway - DISREGARD. I'll hit the Chat Thread at a later time when I've found an artist I wanna work with. :^:

Rage on
This discussion has been closed.