Options

PS2 to Monitor

donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
So, I've been plugging my PS3 into my Acer 1080p monitor and my PS2 is getting jealous of it! Yeah sadly no PS2 BC on my PS3. So I've been looking for a solution to this, seems I need a VGA box.

There is some options here at Play-Asia, however I've heard reports of wacked aspect ratio, colors, etc.
I'm not expecting super crispness when I plug in my PS2, but I want it to display correctly. Are these solutions at all reliable? Or should I sell my PS3 and look for a BC PS3?

EDIT: There is also this, which would be nice to have since it seems everything is going HDMI... But it is expensive.

donhonk on

• Options
    lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    So, I've been plugging my PS3 into my Acer 1080p monitor and my PS2 is getting jealous of it! Yeah sadly no PS2 BC on my PS3. So I've been looking for a solution to this, seems I need a VGA box.

There is some options here at Play-Asia, however I've heard reports of wacked aspect ratio, colors, etc.
    I'm not expecting super crispness when I plug in my PS2, but I want it to display correctly. Are these solutions at all reliable? Or should I sell my PS3 and look for a BC PS3?

EDIT: There is also this, which would be nice to have since it seems everything is going HDMI... But it is expensive.

It is technically possible to connect a PS2 to a VGA display...

The big problem your going to run into is that PS2 games, by default start up in 480i and computer monitors generally don't support this. Also, there are only a few games that can run above 480i.

lilB on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had used a cheap Component to VGA converter for my Gamecube and PS2 for a while. It's pretty annoying because like the previous post said the PS2 won't start up in a progressive mode, which is needed to display on a monitor. Not only that but the majority (that I had anyway) of games from that gen required you to hold button combinations during certain start up points and then to select progressive mode. It was annoying as hell to do without any screen. Half the time I had them hooked up to a TV next to the monitor but still messed that up because the TV obviously couldn't do progressive modes ha. It was a big mess.

It's possible to do, but just annoying as all hell. Try and get yourself a BC PS3.
    Even if it's one that does it via software, they upscale beautifully in some games I hear.
    And it's obviously much easier.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had used a cheap Component to VGA converter for my Gamecube and PS2 for a while. It's pretty annoying because like the previous post said the PS2 won't start up in a progressive mode, which is needed to display on a monitor. Not only that but the majority (that I had anyway) of games from that gen required you to hold button combinations during certain start up points and then to select progressive mode. It was annoying as hell to do without any screen. Half the time I had them hooked up to a TV next to the monitor but still messed that up because the TV obviously couldn't do progressive modes ha. It was a big mess.

It's possible to do, but just annoying as all hell. Try and get yourself a BC PS3.
    Even if it's one that does it via software, they upscale beautifully in some games I hear.

I have a BC PS3 (the 60 gig with EE/GS) and the upscaling works great on all the games I tried. They are becoming more and more rare though. I was very lucky to get one when I did. It only upscales though. For example, can't select 1080i in gran Turismo.

lilB on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    lilB wrote: »

I have a BC PS3 (the 60 gig with EE/GS) and the upscaling works great on all the games I tried. They are becoming more and more rare though. I was very lucky to get one when I did. It only upscales though. For example, can't select 1080i in gran Turismo.

Maybe someone could enlighten me--I'm using one of the 80GB software BC PS3s, with HDMI to my TV. Are all my games in 480i?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Maybe someone could enlighten me--I'm using one of the 80GB software BC PS3s, with HDMI to my TV. Are all my games in 480i?
    No, the new software upscales to 1080p IIRC (or at least 720p). Some games look and run incredibly. I remember seeing screen captures from the PS3 software emu and my god. Gorgeous.

Edit: I don't have a PS3 though, it was an update perhaps at one point? Or perhaps you aren't digging around your PS3 in the right places.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    No, the new software upscales to 1080p IIRC (or at least 720p). Some games look and run incredibly. I remember seeing screen captures from the PS3 software emu and my god. Gorgeous.

Edit: I don't have a PS3 though, it was an update perhaps at one point? Or perhaps you aren't digging around your PS3 in the right places.

If that's the case, it is quite hard to tell (I guess it's a consequence of the upscaling). They just don't look that sharp. I may have to dig through my options on the PS3 again.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Indeed, some games take it much better then others.
    Like, I've heard Shadow of the Colossus doesn't suffer from frame rate issues.

Edit: and looks gorgeous to. this thread has some examples.
    Check out GoW two pages up as well.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Now I'm wondering about that upscaler thingy... But yeah I should probably sell my PS2/PS3... Buyers? Haha. :mrgreen:

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    Now I'm wondering about that upscaler thingy... But yeah I should probably sell my PS2/PS3... Buyers? Haha. :mrgreen:
    Indeed, the only reason you're going through the trouble of hooking it up to your monitor is a nicer picture or the convenience. Both of which are better with a BC PS3.

Mmmm... Cocks... on