As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Serious Sam: First Encounter HD on XBLA and PC... SERIOUSLY!

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupinesIrvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/25/croteam-seriously-remaking-serious-sam-for-xbla/

Coming this summer, 1200 XBLA points, upgraded graphics, extra Seriousitude!

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
The_Spaniard on

• Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's all fun and games until somebody looses an eye.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Second Encounter was much better, final boss aside.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not to be pedantic, but wasn't it already in HD? You could run it at HD resolutions, hence HD.

What this looks like is a graphical upgrade, and whilst admittedly it's got more polygons, the sharper textures and new lighting, I'm not sure I see what the big deal is. SS1 was a good game for Co-op, it's still pretty good, but the levels were always deliberately kept geometrically as simple as possible to allow for the massive waves of monsters it pit against you. Firther graphical flourishes are nice but the game is so fast paced that you were never really paying attention to that stuff in the first place.

Maybe I need to be more of a fan of the game, but I'm not sure I see the point.

subedii on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic, but wasn't it already in HD? You could run it at HD resolutions, hence HD.

What this looks like is a graphical upgrade, and whilst admittedly it's got more polygons, the sharper textures and new lighting, I'm not sure I see what the big deal is. SS1 was a good game for Co-op, it's still pretty good, but the levels were always deliberately kept geometrically as simple as possible to allow for the massive waves of monsters it pit against you. Firther graphical flourishes are nice but the game is so fast paced that you were never really paying attention to that stuff in the first place.

Maybe I need to be more of a fan of the game, but I'm not sure I see the point.

Get out..

Anyway, updated the op with a MUCH better link.

Also, I find this meatloaf to be shallow and pedantic.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If this has 4-player split-screen co-op, I'm sold. Otherwise, I'll probably just stick to my original release CD.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As long as it has Coop play, I'll buy it.

This was a fantastic game... hell, maybe I'll go dig up my SS2 disc.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SS1 was a good game for Co-op, it's still pretty good, but the levels were always deliberately kept geometrically as simple as possible to allow for the massive waves of monsters it pit against you. Firther graphical flourishes are nice but the game is so fast paced that you were never really paying attention to that stuff in the first place..

Seriously?

You say these things like its a bad thing.

This is not Ghost Recon.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    SS1 was a good game for Co-op, it's still pretty good, but the levels were always deliberately kept geometrically as simple as possible to allow for the massive waves of monsters it pit against you. Firther graphical flourishes are nice but the game is so fast paced that you were never really paying attention to that stuff in the first place..

Seriously?

This is not Ghost Recon.

You quoted the wrong guy.

Also, I would be nice if they offered some kind of upgrade to people that already own the game. Like if you put in your serial you can unlock the upgraded version. But that's just a pipe dream.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Seriously?

This is not Ghost Recon.

I'm not, but clearly I'm the heretic anyway it seems.

subedii on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    AAAAAAAAAH yourself!

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I herby decree that all disagreements in this thread be resolved via duel.

There is only one weapon choice.

serious_sam_2_art_10.jpg

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Looking at the screenshots on Joystiq, it looks like they're doing the Second Encounter too. The pumpkin dudes are only in the Second Encounter, and some of the areas in the shots look... Persian? Whatever the second time period is in 2nd Encounter.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »

Seriously?

This is not Ghost Recon.

I'm not, but clearly I'm the heretic anyway it seems.

You poor godless bastard. Give yourself to Sam, and be blessed!

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Serious Sam is my favorite FPS series, and I am deliriously happy to give Croteam more of my hard earned monies. I do kind of wish it was SS3 related rather than an updated version, but I'm still pretty excited.

If anyone owns SS2 for PC, there's a really fantastic mod called Insamnity 2 that incorporates all the SS1 enemies alongside the SS2 ones, optionally increases the enemy count from 2x-16x and has akimbo guns and other fun stuff. It's just so awesome to play with Gnaars, and Kleers, and the original Kamikaze bombers, etc. Plus, with a ton more onscreen enemies, the gameplay feels a lot more like SS1.

http://files.seriouszone.com/download.php?fileid=1233

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VoSXj2KG9s

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Now the question is, do they plan on also releasing Second Encounter, or is this just a test case to see if they should?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Croteam should just buy the rights to Duke Nukem and make him the main character so we can all stop living this charade.

Lingxor on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm so pumped for this remake, man I still remember beta testing this game back in high school ages ago. I sent so many bug reports, I like to think I helped make it a better game.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is fantastic. Yes, technically with the PC version, you can load up the old game and crank the resolution up to maximum. But this gives you vastly upgraded textures, and of course improved 3D models, and apparently vastly superior lighting effects!

Whatever!

It's serious sam!

Fuck yeah!

slash000 on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Duke Who-em?? Ohohoho Seriously though, this is great news. I loved playing co-op in the first encounter and if it has split screen on x-box it will be bought so hard.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Buying the FUCK out of this. So hard. I cant freaking wait.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    First day...so bought

SAM I AM!

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I decided to gander at the ol croteam page for nostalgia and it looks like they haven't updated their layout since 2000. :lol:

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The_Spaniard on