As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sticker Residue on Laptop [Solved]

LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I just got my new laptop delivered today and I was taking those promotional stickers off the machine--you know, the Intel Inside/Windows Vista/nVidia stickers. All but one of them came off nice and cleanly--like they were meant to be taken off. However, one of them did not come off nearly as easily and has left that gummy sticker residue.

What can I do to get that old sticker gunk off my laptop safely and effectively?
Thanks for your help.

LaOs on

• Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nail polish remover. The solution to all your problems!

MrOletta on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Careful with the nail polish remover, it can ruin some materials, and the stuff containing acetone will probably start to eat at the plastic. I'd suggest Goo Gone. Available in most hardware stores, and safe to use on plastic. Smells a world better, too.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's an acer Aspire 5630, just so you know what material I have.. So it would for sure be more safe to go with the Goo Gone rather than the nail polish remover?

LaOs on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LaOs wrote: »
    It's an acer Aspire 5630, just so you know what material I have.. So it would for sure be more safe to go with the Goo Gone rather than the nail polish remover?

It would certainly be safer to go with GooGone than Nail Polish Remover (I've only ever seen GooGone damage something once, and it was matte paint anyway). However, there's no guarantee that the nail polish remover would damage your laptop, either. If you don't have GooGone sitting around (though really, you should), try the nail polish remover on a small piece of similiar plastic on your laptop, in an inconspicuous spot. Let it sit for a minute and see if it does anything.

Realistically you should do that even with the GooGone, but as I said, the stuff is pretty stable.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I heard that just using a good eraser on it will do the trick. Try that before buying any Goo Gone.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If the above don't work, I've always had good results using white spirit.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The right answer is

327686_sk_md.jpg

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for all the help. I'll see if I can borrow some nail polish remover from my roomie and see if that will work without hurting things.

LaOs on
This discussion has been closed.