Options

BSG - How do I get my players to stop freaking out?

ZombieKoolaidZombieKoolaid Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Critical Failures
I recently started playing Battlestar Galactica with my RL friends but I have one major problem. None of them can seem to stop the paranoia train long enough to actually play. I've tried everything from just talking to them about this to getting them all drunk before we play, and every single time after 1 or 2 jumps all but one or two people in our 6 person game is in the brig. I love this game, and have seen the pbp games on the forums here, but what the frak?! I know pbp is different but is there any trick anyone has learned to cut down at least a little bit on the paranoia factor? I just don't want this game to be ruined for our playgroup.

ZombieKoolaid on

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Run with it. Paranoia is part of the charm.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I thought that way at first, but the problem is that over a dozen games we have played, the paranoia leads to a 0% win percentage for the humans. I don't think I can make this game last much longer if I can't figure something out.

ZombieKoolaid on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    We have a dedicated topic for BSG:BG discussion here.

But to get to your query, slowing down the game and asking people to look at it logically should do the trick. There are reasons why I don't allow people to drink alcoholic beverages while playing BSG (which also includes the reduction of any unfortunate accidents that may occur). Point out the fact that humans have been losing every time due to itchy trigger fingers and suggest that erring on the side of caution may be a good strategy to try. While reading people certainly is important, one cannot ignore the influence that solid evidence can have. See if that gets the humans any closer to Kobol.

If that doesn't work... well, look at the other games that your gaming group tends to play. Perhaps BSG isn't the right game for your group. It's a fine board game, but it doesn't always fit every group's dynamic.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for the advice and the link to the other discussion on BSG. I'll steer the group as advised towards logic instead of chaos. It hasn't worked before, but if I hide the booze before the game that will probably help out.

So say we all.

ZombieKoolaid on
  • Options
    PygmalionPygmalion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Maybe they like being paranoid? I know I do.

In any case, sooner or later they'll figure out that they never win due to paranoia and self-correct...or get bored with the game. Then you can play Arkham Horror or something and confuse them by making them work together.

Also, no banning booze. That's prohibition and will only cause a black market to arise...which just adds to the paranoia.

Pygmalion on
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TOASTER !
    I'm onto you Pygmalion.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    PygmalionPygmalion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ...toaster?

Pygmalion on