As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Talk Hair Removal

persona non gratapersona non grata Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm looking for recommendations on the removal of body hair! Specifically I have kind of a hairy back around my neck and also quite a bit of hair on the lower back, as well as some stray hairs on my shoulders. Shaving/waxing sounds like a challenge so I was thinking about creams, which I have no experience with. How effective are they? How long does it last? Can I use them on more... sensitive areas?

I also have a pretty hairy chest but my last partner seemed to like this so I'm in two minds about getting rid of that... Thoughts?

tl;dr How do you deal with body hair?

persona non grata on

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm assuming you're a bloke, so here goes:

If you shave it a) you'll get a prickly rash, b) regrowth is just like on your face, and c) you won't be able to reach all your back, so you'll have hairy/prickly patches, and you could cut yourself.

Waxing hurts at first, in some places hurts like mad, but lasts for 4 - 6 weeks at a time. Your skin will be covered in angry, red dots for a day or so, and you'd have to have someone wax your back for you, you'd never be able to do it yourself!

Depilatory creams are a) messy, b) smelly, and you'd find it hard to reach all your back. Regrowth takes about a week.

Another option is laser - it costs a fortune, really only reduces the growth unless you have it done again and again and again.

Your final option is to just accept yourself as a hairy bloke, and find someone who likes hairy blokes.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just presenting it as one of the options:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epilator

My Turkish girlfriend uses this - apparently it's all the rage in Europe ..

wallabeeX on
  • Options
    Hamster_styleHamster_style Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wallabeeX wrote: »

The only wikipedia article I've read that I've cringed more for would be the one for retrograde ejaculation. I'm not linking it.

Hamster_style on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I bought one and it's a scary horribly painful device. I couldn't handle it.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Hamster_styleHamster_style Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Seriously, the thing looks like a scary mythical seabeast!

Hamster_style on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I dabbled with that cream stuff. It's kinda gross and can sort of burn your skin. I tried it on my arms before I went anywhere else, and they're pretty hairy. The lesson is that arm stubble is uncool. :|

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

My old housemate said you get used to to the pain, in fact, she claimed she almost liked it by now....

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I used to shave my legs, so I've used a bunch of different things. I gave up on it because its so much goddamned work. Kudos to women for this.

As a guy, you can trim it short and it won't look nearly as bad. Electric trimmers are great. Go buy one! Make sure the guard is attached and adjustable. You don't want to have to fuck with a bunch of removable pieces.
    The creams work, but they smell and I never enjoyed using them. If lazering is out of the price question, you could easily find some female friend t wax your back. Women love that gross shit.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Teslan26 wrote: »

My old housemate said you get used to to the pain, in fact, she claimed she almost liked it by now....

I knew that was the case and I still couldn't do it. Waxing is less painful.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Whoever invented epilators hates women or humans in general and wants them to suffer as much as possible.
    That said, it's not impossible to epilate large areas, I did both my arms once when I was bored at about 2am, but it hurt. If you're going in for pain, just get waxed instead. It's better to get it done in one swift go than several painful attempts at one patch when you miss a few individual strands.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I used to shave my legs, so I've used a bunch of different things. I gave up on it because its so much goddamned work. Kudos to women for this.

As a guy, you can trim it short and it won't look nearly as bad. Electric trimmers are great. Go buy one! Make sure the guard is attached and adjustable. You don't want to have to fuck with a bunch of removable pieces.
    The creams work, but they smell and I never enjoyed using them. If lazering is out of the price question, you could easily find some female friend t wax your back. Women love that gross shit.

Its odd but it is true, especially when it comes to wax. Girls take an almost malicious pleasure in waxing men I've found.

Then again I usually hang around with bitchy girls, so maybe its just them/me.

If you don't have any close female friends that you feel comfortable asking, a good second choice is one of your boys' GFs whom you have a good relationship with. They'll usually do it just for the laughs.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Epilators work, man up and it really isn't that bad. Neither is waxing, considering you trim first. I will recommend sugaring instead of traditional wax (a sugar based wax as opposed to one made of resins). It should hurt a bit less, and you could probably make it at home and have someone help you.

Of course, trimming is just fine.

Those creams smell awful and sadly, don't always work that well. I doubt they will work for men's hair, which is often coarser.

Muse Among Men on