Options

Super Flakes Comic Strip

gimpyjoshgimpyjosh Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hello All,

I'm trying a new art style for my comic. It's more realistic, but still with a comic look. I'm still relatively knew to this drawing thing, so any constructive feedback would be welcome.

-Josh

Super-Flakes.gif

www.theohnozone.com - The Oh No Zone.com : A comic strip. :mrgreen::rotate:
:arrow:
gimpyjosh on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think that you're lacking in artistic fundamentals quite a lot - to the point where your "new style" doesn't show a style at all. These drawings just show that you really don't know how to draw very well.

You should develop your ability to see things - try drawing objects around you, buildings around you, or people around you. To start out, you may even want to draw people from photographs, or a number of self-portraits (from a mirror, not from your head. Do not draw anything from your head). Pick up an anatomy book, and go through it.

Overall, you really have a lot to learn, and you're at the point where it seems practicing to draw in itself will help you improve - it doesn't really matter what the subject is.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    gimpyjoshgimpyjosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the feedback. Like I said, I am new at this. I will definitely try to draw more from real life.

The boy in this strip was actually taken from a photo.

SIP2012398_P.JPG

I made him heavier, but other than that I was trying to match his face.

gimpyjosh on

www.theohnozone.com - The Oh No Zone.com : A comic strip. :mrgreen::rotate:
    :arrow:
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is just terrible, but in an outstandingly terrible sort of way.

I don't think your outside the box layout is doing your comics any favors. A typical 4 panel layout would have helped make it seem not so awkward.

But yeah the art is just bad. It doesn't even really have much charm because it looks like it was drawn by someone who got their first computer and decided right then that they wanted to be an artist. Paper and pencil are your friend, especially when it comes to learning the fundamentals of shapes and lines.

All gripes aside, I could not help but smile at the vitamin power panel.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think the first two panels work, but the last ones are too crude even for this style. The weird arms in the second panel are funny, but the ambulance in the last panel makes it look like you can't draw. So use more reference, practice and work on the layout of the comic. It's too big/awkward. Keep practicing! And yes, Vitamin Power is funny.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't have anything to add except that I am going to have nightmares about this child.
    SIP2012398_P.JPG
    It's chilling.

Mustang on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Did you copy past his face? The art needs polishing, I'll admit, but it made me laugh... I'm a horrible person.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The art's terrible, to be sure, but this is pretty fucking funny. In a way that it shouldn't be. Like kids jumping off of buildings shouldn't be. But that's why you can draw it and have it be funny, when it wouldn't if you took photos of the same event.

Because it didn't really happen.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    CharisCharis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DemonJelly.jpg

Charis on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you gave that boy a girl's haircut...

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh god, she's got the kind of look you'd expect from a starving zombie who is about to chow down on his very first chess-club brain.

Mustang on
  • Options
    milknpeachesmilknpeaches Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The super-huge image is super-obnoxious. Too much white space. Decent expressions, but horrible everything else. Also, sorry for being such a boor, but I'm pretty sure Perry Bible Fellowship more or less did this joke already, and I know Calvin and Hobbes did (with a Pterodactyl costume instead of cereal.)

Furthermore, showing the roof he's stepping off of in the 3rd panel rather ruins the comedic twist in the fourth.

milknpeaches on
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I immediately thought of PBF.

PBF028-Today_I_am_Going_to_Fly.gif

Also, feels like this one:

PBF213-Mario_Too.jpg

iglidante on
  • Options
    RikRik Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like this style. Glaring eyes are unsettling. But you probably designed it that way. Good job.

Rik on
  • Options
    ZaengoZaengo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    iglidante wrote: »
    I immediately thought of PBF.

PBF028-Today_I_am_Going_to_Fly.gif

Also, feels like this one:

PBF213-Mario_Too.jpg

and these are actually drawn well.

Zaengo on
  • Options
    RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    I don't have anything to add except that I am going to have nightmares about this child.
    SIP2012398_P.JPG
    It's chilling.

How about this:

kid_blood_bowl.jpg

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh cripes, hahahaha.

Mustang on