As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Sports Fan Coalition

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
sfclogo.jpg

Full story here. Read it.

So, cable companies are sending some PR firm after the not yet established lobby, claiming it's a satellite company front (even though it has yet to get any money from cable companies). There is no reason for me to trust a PR firm, but I can look at an organization's goals and see if they're up my alley.

The SFC wants to lobby Congress for:

a) no blackout rules for teams that play in publicly funded stadiums
b) a college football playoff
c) "Sports fans must be able to view their local sporting events via television or the internet, regardless of the their service provide."

Even if satellite companies do end up giving the lobby some funding, I have absolutely no problem with any of the above. Cable companies aren't saying "blackouts are awesome!" and "yay to no playoffs!" and "fuck you and your internet." It's all "psst. They're getting money from corporations."

I'm all for having an organization lobby Congress for awesome things.

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Absolutely. The leagues really owe us to provide some level of service, and the NBA is really the only major pro league that doesn't treat the fans like dirt a good deal of the time.

The feds give the leagues antitrust exemptions, Local and state governments pay for stadia. And the leagues do all they can to keep their product captive so you can only see it when and if they want you to see it.

And don't even get me started on the NCAA.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What they seem not to realize is that with no fans, they have no product to sell. Going 'fuck the fans' is a good way to make sure you don't have any fans left to worry about.

Pre-emptive strikes against the 'Sports Fans Coalition' is a pretty explicit 'fuck the fans'.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited October 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    sfclogo.jpg

Full story here. Read it.

So, cable companies are sending some PR firm after the not yet established lobby, claiming it's a satellite company front (even though it has yet to get any money from cable companies). There is no reason for me to trust a PR firm, but I can look at an organization's goals and see if they're up my alley.

The SFC wants to lobby Congress for:

a) no blackout rules for teams that play in publicly funded stadiums
    b) a college football playoff
    c) "Sports fans must be able to view their local sporting events via television or the internet, regardless of the their service provide."

Even if satellite companies do end up giving the lobby some funding, I have absolutely no problem with any of the above. Cable companies aren't saying "blackouts are awesome!" and "yay to no playoffs!" and "fuck you and your internet." It's all "psst. They're getting money from corporations."

I'm all for having an organization lobby Congress for awesome things.

It's a little weird. Why would cable companies be pro-blackout? And does 'c)' mean that ESPN would be legally obligated to show women's bowling? And 'b)' falls under the 'any time whatsoever that Congress spends on this is time better spent elsewhere' category.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok, well without delving really deep into it and taking you at your word 'cause you're Elki and I kinda sorta trust you on something like this?

Yeah, I'm pretty much a-ok with all of that no questions asked :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I want to say I'm all for it, but I see the world "lobby" and I can't convince myself it ends well, even if it starts with good intentions.

zeeny on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    zeeny wrote: »
    I want to say I'm all for it, but I see the world "lobby" and I can't convince myself it ends well, even if it starts with good intentions.

Not all lobbyists are working on behalf of evil/corporate interests. The Human Rights Campaign, for example, is a lobbying group.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am cautiously optimistic about this. Very cautiously though. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing comes of it.

Yougottawanna on