As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer keeps dropping internet and sound.

Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
So last week my main hard drive shat itself and I had to reinstall everything, and everything works until I feel like playing Project Reality so I slam in my BF2 copy and start installing all the patches etc and then I install PR and ever since then I've had troubles.

Here's a few things that keeps happening:

Windows drops mixer device and sounds coming from programs won't work (Some windows sounds will work) and I need to reinstall the device

Network interface card drops the IP settings and refuse to get new ones.

My taskbar changes theme from classic to XP.

Sometimes I get a message that generic host process 32 has shut itself down and blah blah.

The most irritating one by far is the IP thing because only way to fix is reboot. I am trying now with a user defined IP address, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm running XP SP3 and Avira detected some things but I removed them and so did spybot.

Specs and hardware:

Processor:
AMD Phenom 9500 quad-core
Memory:
2gb 800mhz
Hard Drive:
1750Gb
Video Card:
Ati Radeon HD4870
Sound Card:
Realtek 7.1
Motherboard:
MSI - AM2+ 790FX Crossfire PCIE

EDIT: Having a defined IP address didn't help, it just dropped the DNS instead.

Burning Organ on

• Options
    edited October 2009
    A format later and a new network interface card and the sound problem still persists. Is my mobo dying?

EDIT: Also, it's dropping IP/DNS again with the new network interface as well.
    I occasionally get data execution prevention for generic host process 32 or something along those lines as well if it's relevant.

Going to download some antivirus trials.

EDIT2: Nod32 trial is now scanning everything on my computer.
    I will post results later.

EDIT3: Nod32 found nothing after a complete scan.

Help

EDIT4: Also I can access computers on the same network when the DNS/IP thing happens.

EDIT5: It looks like windows might just be randomly shutting down some services for me for some reason. Any ideas?

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When you re-installed XP, did you install all the service packs again? Did you install any other software?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The XP version comes with SP3 integrated into it somehow.

Also I installed comodo and steam and some drivers and that's all that's in common. And chrome.

I also found out what happened. I think. Windows is shutting down the audio and DNS service, I made it so it tries to reset if it fails, but I don't know if it works yet.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The XP version comes with SP3 integrated into it somehow.

Also I installed comodo and steam and some drivers and that's all that's in common. And chrome.

I also found out what happened. I think. Windows is shutting down the audio and DNS service, I made it so it tries to reset if it fails, but I don't know if it works yet.

It could be Conficker

Here's Microsoft's malicious software removal tool

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nod32 didn't detect any viruses, but I'll try again with that.

Would be nice if this worked.

EDIT: Found nothing, but on the other hand I haven't had to reboot in eleven hours, so maybe it's working now.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The services still keep shutting down now and then. I know how to restart them though.

Also getting some pop ups every now and then saying something about how generic system host 32 was prevented from executing data.

EDIT: If anyone can link me to a legit removal method I'd be grateful since I seem to run into more dummy sites than I thought existed.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The services still keep shutting down now and then. I know how to restart them though.

Also getting some pop ups every now and then saying something about how generic system host 32 was prevented from executing data.

EDIT: If anyone can link me to a legit removal method I'd be grateful since I seem to run into more dummy sites than I thought existed.

Do you have the exact text of the error? Next time it happens, try to write it down and post it here.

Here's a removal tool to try

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Alright, I'll try that and to remember to write down the error next time that happens.

Although that removal tool didn't find anything, so maybe it isn't conficker or it's a new version of it.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Is this the error?
    Generic Host Process for Win 32 services has been prevented from opening by Data Execution Prevention.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, something along those lines.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, something along those lines.

Try going to control panel/ performance & maintinence/ system/advanced/performance settings/ data execution prevention.

Then set it to Default and see if that helps.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well I guess I'll find out someday.

Also it took me a long ass time to find performance and maintenance because I like classic control panel :p

I haven't had any troubles in a while though, so maybe it was just some weird settings?

EDIT: It pretty much keeps doing it while I have data execution prevention on.

Burning Organ on