Options

42" Plasma TV blinking problem

thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently got a 42" LG plasma TV and have encountered a persistent problem. It seems that no matter the input I'm using (component/HDMI/composite), every 5 or 10 minutes the screen will flash black for only a second, then return to the normal picture. The sound doesn't go out when this happens. I've tried everything I can think of that may fix this problem but nothing seems to do the trick. Has anyone got any ideas as to what may be causing this problem?

PA2sig.jpg
thisismyusername on

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    some flashing is to be expected when switching resolutions or inputs (and sometimes with shitty HDMI implementations)... but constant flashing on all inputs likely indicates a busted TV

since you recently got it, i'd use the warranty... that's what it's for

illig on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    illig wrote: »
    some flashing is to be expected when switching resolutions or inputs (and sometimes with shitty HDMI implementations)... but constant flashing on all inputs likely indicates a busted TV

Yep, I expected this to be an HDMI/HDCP issue, but if it's happening across all inputs then return/warranty that shit.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's possible you don't have a clean power source. I've been fearing for the life of my 55" LCD lately with flickering. I have been thinking myself about getting a heavy duty surge protector.

exmello on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    exmello wrote: »
    It's possible you don't have a clean power source. I've been fearing for the life of my 55" LCD lately with flickering. I have been thinking myself about getting a heavy duty surge protector.

I highly doubt your TV is flickering due to power. And if that is indeed the case, a surge protector will do absolutely nothing to help you...you're looking at a power conditioner.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    illig wrote: »

The only problem with returning it is that I bought it from a family member out of state. :(

It sounds like the next step will be getting a line stabilizer / power conditioner and hope that does the trick.

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yes by all means throw money at the problem.
    hahaha.

I'd HIGHLY suggest contacting the oem before dropping 100+ dollars on a power conditioner that more likely than not, NOT the cause of the of the issue.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man sorry let me clarify. I was NOT recommending you get a power conditioner. I was trying to say that exmello's comment about the surge protector is both a misunderstanding of his problem and a misconception of what the surge protector accomplishes. You should do what most people in here said and use your warranty.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet