Options

MOT question (uk roadworthiness)

HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello h&a

Does anyone know if the MOT expiry date means that it expires the moment that day starts or on the end of that day- eg, if the expiry date is 31st does it mean it expires on midnigth of the 30th, or does it mean midnight of the 31st?

Websites say the latter but I cant find an oficial source anywhere D:

Thanks!

HeavyVillain on

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It means midnight on the 31st if it says it expires on the 31st.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    thanks v much for the reply, but does anyone have any links from official sites supporting it? I know common sense supports it but... well

Belive it or not this isnt for my benefit and I was trying to get supporting documentation for reassuring my sister and all I cn find is similar forums asking the question

HeavyVillain on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I can't find anything specific on the direct gov website, but for anything else, especially government stuff, the date something expires id 11.59pm that day.

It's just kinda common sense for me.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    To be fair, I know of some rail companies etc. have their passes/tickets become unusable on the expiry date but from a governmental viewpoint I'd assume the same as Bob; i.e., in the sense that it effectively expires and becomes unusable on the 1st of November.

And I'm aware that the issue isn't legality so much as proving to someone that they shouldn't worry, but the actual chances of your sister being stopped, let alone prosecuted, are very slim V.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    i.e., in the sense that it effectively expires and becomes unusable on the 1st of November.

see this is why I start understanding why shes confused because surely... this'd actually be a 1st Nov expiry date?

Apparntly her certificate doesnt say "ends end of" 31st or anything remotely helpfull, it just lists the 31st in a box marked expiry date, surprises me

HeavyVillain on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    i.e., in the sense that it effectively expires and becomes unusable on the 1st of November.

see this is why I start understanding why shes confused because surely... this'd actually be a 1st Nov expiry date?

Apparntly her certificate doesnt say "ends end of" 31st or anything remotely helpfull, it just lists the 31st in a box marked expiry date, surprises me

No, that's normal. As I said, it means 11.59pm on the 31st.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Basically V the best you can do is just tell her point blank that you're right and that she shouldn't worry and that others have corroborated it.

Uh, maybe not that you got answers from a couple of guys from the internet, but you know what I mean.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png