Options

need a new router

PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
Power surge or failure killed my router today, I need a fairly powerful wireless router with a 4 port switch, preferably one that can run one of the open source firmwares.

What's a good model, preferably something I can get at best buy?

PracticalProblemSolver on

• Options
    CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Take a look at the WRT54GL, linksys router.

Creamstout on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tomato compatibility should be your priority.

Hardware list is a few scrolls down here.
    Routers that are known to work with Tomato:
    Linksys WRT54G v1-v4, WRT54GS v1-v4, WRT54GL v1.x, WRTSL54GS (no USB support)
    Buffalo WHR-G54S, WHR-HP-G54, WZR-G54, WBR2-G54, WBR-G54, WZR-HP-G54, WZR-RS-G54, WZR-RS-G54HP, WVR-G54-NF, WHR2-A54-G54, WHR3-AG54
    Asus WL500G Premium (no USB support), WL500GE, WL520GU (no USB support)
    Sparklan WX6615GT, Fuji RT390W, Microsoft MN-700
    This will not work on Linksys WRT54G/GS v5 or newer WRT54G/GS routers.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the infos, I've had some problems with linksys before(though a new firmware would probably fix them) so I think I'll try a buffalo whr-hp-g54, how's that sound?

• Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the infos, I've had some problems with linksys before(though a new firmware would probably fix them) so I think I'll try a buffalo whr-hp-g54, how's that sound?

Little late on this, but I've had that model of router for almost four years, and it's been solid as a rock. Buffalo went through some legal issues with a patent dispute and couldn't sell their routers for a while, but if they're still making them like they did when I got mine, you won't be disappointed. My actual internet service goes down more often than the router does.

Ballman on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I've had one since mid-2006 and I love it.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That sounds good, how much heat do they put out? I have to put it in this little cabinet thing, hoping it doesn't overheat in there.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That sounds good, how much heat do they put out? I have to put it in this little cabinet thing, hoping it doesn't overheat in there.

It's probably only a couple of degrees higher than ambient, but I leave it sit out on the little desk with my phone base that's in the hall.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru