As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The junk science of global warming

unitedshoes86unitedshoes86 Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
The models for global warming have always been flawed. But with the recent hacking of the University of East Anglia’s Climate Research Unit, a much more sinister scenario is apparent, suggesting even a conspiracy of crap science. Here are links related to this:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100017393/climategate-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-anthropogenic-global-warming/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFt07eAAQ94&feature=player_embedded

"It’s about those moments when you can feel the perfection of creation, the beauty of physics, the wonder of mathematics, you know?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unitedshoes86 on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And honestly, I wish people would stop waving that right-wing blog around like some kind of "told-you-so" when everything on there is either taken out of context or just plain wrong.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Seriously?

The Telegraph?

Quid on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    From my experience the only people who use the term "junk science" are the people who are completely and totally wrong about the subject in question.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    From my experience the only people who use the term "junk science" are the people who are completely and totally wrong about the subject in question.

i like junk science
    humanity always benefits when scientists study my wii

this
    this is not junk science
    its climatology

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    This is a bad thread and the OP should feel bad.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kastanj wrote: »
    This is a bad thread and the OP should feel bad.

Its unitedshoes. He's incapable of feeling bad about carrying water for the right, no matter how wrong he is.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    chris66chris66 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you take ten experts in anything who collectively assert a position, all it takes is another person who dissents to cast doubt on the subject in question casting serious doubt on the original assertion.
    Do we forget when it came to light that cigarettes were a possible cause of cancer? How many dissenters pooh pooh'd the medical community and came up with their own medical experts to refute the evidence? There are people I know today who say cigarettes don't cause cancer and that its a conspiracy of the left-wing to put the tobacco companies out of business. My position is this: if indeed Global Warming is not man-made, do we really need to make it any worse by throwing tons of CO2 gas into the atmosphere? I have heard people say that CO2 is actually beneficial to the atmosphere because it makes plants grow which is beyond ridiculous.
    Have any of you seen Jesus Camp? There was a part where this little boy who was being home schooled by his mother was having a Q&A quiz with her about certain things. The question that surprised me had to do with Global Warming not being viable because the average temperature has only increased by one degree or so in the last thousand years or something like that. Why would fundamentalist Christians take umbrage with the the assertion that Global Warming is man-made? I couldn't figure it out.

chris66 on
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    chris66 wrote: »
    Have any of you seen Jesus Camp? There was a part where this little boy who was being home schooled by his mother was having a Q&A quiz with her about certain things. The question that surprised me had to do with Global Warming not being viable because the average temperature has only increased by one degree or so in the last thousand years or something like that. Why would fundamentalist Christians take umbrage with the the assertion that Global Warming is man-made? I couldn't figure it out.
    The Bible wrote:
    God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

— Genesis 1:28-30

Anthropogenic climate change and creationism - especially YEC - are not so compatible when you think about it. I mean, if your culture and world-view is absolutely committed to the earth having been around six thousand years and someone starts talking about ice cores a hundred times older than that...

Put that on top of the fact that the evangelical movement has never been able to decide whether the right wing is in their pocket or they're in the right wing's pocket.

Also, why is this thread still here after 24 hours? What does it have to distinguish itself from http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=106196 anyway?

nescientist on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I mean, if your culture and world-view is absolutely committed to the earth having been around six thousand years and someone starts talking about ice cores a hundred times older than that...

Obviously God made it so that the samples would show us those results as a test of our faith. Just like all those "dinosaur" bones everywhere, because we all know God wouldn't allow that many species of His creation to perish like that.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Also, why is this thread still here after 24 hours? What does it have to distinguish itself from http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=106196 anyway?

Seriously, I'm surprised this hasn't been locked yet.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.