As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brand New PS3---More like Brand New Paperweight

XhaztolXhaztol Registered User regular
Today was a sad Thanksgiving.

I bought a shiny new PS3 Slim from Best Buy tonight; was psyched, it had Ratchet & Clank and LittleBigPlanet included and everything! I usually opt out of the Best Buy coverage plans (the last five things I got from BB I never ended up needing them). I get home, itchin' to start her up!

Plug everything in...switch it on.

Okay....so...no video. Okay. Maybe this is just what happens the first time it's turned on.

30 seconds of inactivity later:

*BLACK SCREEN*
"Cannot start.
The correct hard disk was not found."

Well, you can imagine my rage. With this newfound fuel I scoured the internet for a few hours. Mostly found old posts of people having this issue when they were trying to upgrade their PS3's hard drive.

So I did the whole "unplug it all, hold power button, wait for hardware beeps, pull out and re-seat the hard drive carefully in case it had gotten jostled" bull shit. Nothing.

It's effectively bricked, hard.

I come to you with a plea for advice. Have any of you received a broken console from the get-go from Best Buy, and do you think they'd switch it out if I returned promptly with my receipt and asked for it to be replaced? Or do you *absolutely* need to buy one of those stupid over-priced protection shits for something that shouldn't be necessary when the damn thing is 5 minutes old?

I know if it comes down to it, I'm fine with sending it to Sony for repair, but fuckin'...it'd just be easier to get it replaced, in the event this one was defective.

kalamari.jpg
Xhaztol on

• Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Damn that sucks.

The goods are faulty out of the packaging, they should have to replace, at least they do in Australia. Try ringing and asking?

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, just take it back to them tomorrow and swap it out for another. You shouldn't have any issue, especially if you're swapping 1:1.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    XhaztolXhaztol Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll pack it up before work and speed my ass over there before it closes tomorrow; I just hope tomorrow being Black Friday doesn't totally work against my trying to return this for a new one.

Xhaztol on
    kalamari.jpg
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Taken from the best buy website. Though it's online, it should work the same as instore.
    How do I exchange or return a defective product I bought online?

We would be happy to exchange or give you a refund in-store on most items you buy online, up to 30 days after your receive your order. Computers, Monitors, Printers, Laptop Computers, Camcorders, Digital Cameras, Radar Detectors, Portable DVD Players and Air Conditioners can be exchanged up to 14 days after you receive your order.

If you picked up your purchase in a store, instead of having it shipped to your home, use the sales receipt the store provided to you and return the items to any of our Best Buy stores.

So just bring it with your receipt and you should be fine. If it's a reasonably big/busy one, your probably not the first one to return it with problems.

Gilbert0 on