As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EVE Online worth jumping into at this point?

kathoskathos Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
So EVE online is $4.99 on Steam right now. I'm very tempted.

I know it's an MMO (I'm thinking about $15 a month?).

Now I'm more of a casual player with a few hours to put in a week into an MMO, is EVE online worth putting the time/money investment?

I'm also concerned about the players on there, will I get completely raped by the more experienced player but will I have a chance to do anything with a few hours a week?

I know it's just $5USD but it's better spent one a few copies of Lucidity for gifts or the Guild Wars Trilogy pack or something.

Thoughts/advice?

Brlito.png
kathos on

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    EVE takes a buttload of time to even train up the necessary skillsets to even think of getting in a ship that can crack another hull open, or mine an asteroid field well, or even get a nice sensor setup for ninja salvaging. It took me a month to really even begin to understand how vast it's sandbox is, how complex it's economy is, how crazy it's ship customization is, how long the skills you really need take to learn.
    These days I don't even log on for fun, merely to update my skill tab with more stuff on my list for five minutes or so and then go about my day elsewhere.

EVE is an excellent, beautiful, expansive MMO of epic proportion. It's drawbacks at this point are that it's been out, what, 6 years or so now, and is quite far along in "expansion" packs/patches. It's huge, with a stream of star systems that almost all look alike and blend together after a while. Add onto this that the intelligent few who have been in this game since the beginning and who have the experience and skill to survive anywhere and have the years + skill training needed to pwn in the most gigantic vessels imaginable are always waiting to jump on new players, even the ones who also have skills. This game is basically a game that almost forces you to have a university education in starship command, engineering, navigation, learning, mechanics, physics, sensors, weapons, shields, etc, and above all, patience.

I'm probably not going to be able to really play this game in a decent ship without months of skills trained, and after that, i'll need to sink more time in game into ninja salvage and mining to gather the resources to create and buy what I need for said good vessel. After all that, the stars still all look the same, and you still need to hope that when you get to low-sec you don't get ransomed or blown to bits within seconds of warp in by a gate camp. It's a brutal game.

I still reccomend it though, for those in need of a hobby. =D
    And actual fleet battles are truly a sight to see after endless hours in a starbase hanger watching a blue bar inch ever onward into eternity.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Perfectly CromulentPerfectly Cromulent Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That depends. What do you want out of an MMO? If you are looking for interesting PvE, I'd say no. EvE is a brutal, dog-eat-dog PvP world. As someone who plays, I'd say go for it. From the looks of your account, you could probably join Merch Industrial, the PA corp that is a member of GoonSwarm, right off the bat. Floundering in high-security space as a noob is an easy way to get bored with the game.

The MERCHI recruitment thread has a lot of good info in it.

You should ask your EvE-related questions here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=101329

Perfectly Cromulent on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    While you will get better responses if this was posted within the Eve thread, I feel the need to clarify some points.

Eve's skill system is based purely off of time, so you continue to advance whether online or offline. There are few measurements of 'progress' aside from what goals you place for yourself.

Yes the game has been out for a long time and there are numerous rich and skilled players, but that doesn't mean that within 10 hours you can't destroy ships worth hundreds of millions of isk that have been labored over for weeks on end to be constructed. Eve rewards clever thinking and creative use of all your resources.

The same can be said when it comes to making money. Using traditional methods, yes it will take months of training for an effective setup, but through scamming, luck, or other methods I've run into many new players that have exponentially more cash than many vets. Many other players simply don't even log in very often, except for ops, and sell timecards to finance their gameplay. There's lots of options out there depending on how you want to play.

Core is very right though about Eve requiring patience. It's definitely more of a hobby than simply an mmo with plans that scale into the years for investment returns and future goals.

If you do decide to take the plunge, make sure you look over the eve thread and get in touch with the players. PA has a very strong and experienced presence that's willing to help new players immediately jump into the heart of what makes eve so great, and keeps us bitter vets still spinning their ships in stations.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Patience takes more then one form with this game, btw. There are times where the best thing you can do is to set a long skill train, and go do something else for a month. Best thing is, you're not hurting yourself. You won't make any money and you won't rack up any kills but if you keep watching evemon every few days you'll recover your sanity, get all the stuff done you've been putting off, and come back a week or a month later with a shiny new level V skill and certificates.

Like me. I've got a lot of stuff going on and really can't commit much time to the game right now, so I'm training up my leadership to freakishly maxed levels.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • HavokBlueHavokBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think the fact that you can probably get right into MerchI means being an EVE nub will be infinitely more interesting than for the average newcomer. The Merch Industrial corporation (like a guild in other games) is part of the alliance known as Goonswarm. Goonswarm controls the 'best' space in the game and have been around for quite some time. Also, I don't know from personal experience but it sounds like MerchI takes care of their new guys.

HavokBlue on
    What's 6-6•6?
    Xbox Live - HavokBlue
    EVE - Bakaris Drakar'akai (I know, horrible name)
    furyandfire.blogspot.com
    edited November 2009
    HavokBlue wrote: »
    Goonswarm controls the 'best' space in the game
    Delve may be the golden goose of regions, but its true value is in the fact that it once belonged to BoB, who swore Goon would have to pry it from their cold dead hands; and so they did.

In the words of Jayne... "It has *extreme* sentimental value."

jayne-vera.jpg

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • HavokBlueHavokBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Didn't IT and friends just take down two Goon titans? =(

I don't know 0.0 well but when I saw the map of all the attacks against Goons and their allies it looked pretty messy too.

P.S. OP needs to join EVE and not be intimidated by the first reply.

HavokBlue on
    What's 6-6•6?
    Xbox Live - HavokBlue
    EVE - Bakaris Drakar'akai (I know, horrible name)
    furyandfire.blogspot.com
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I dunno, he couldn't even find the other 2 EVE threads and therefore is an EXTREME AAD risk. So let him in, maybe we get an alliance mail out of it too.

Brian on
  • Mostly HarmlessMostly Harmless Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    HavokBlue wrote:

At least one of them was purely due to the pilot/FCs own stupidity, mind.

For the OP - it's $5, or £3. You cannot go wrong at that price. Buy a copy, join MRCHI, ask lots of questions, get given free ISK and ships, die, repeat. It's all good.

Mostly Harmless on
  • AnommeAnomme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    does the $5 still give you the 30 days game time? or just an acount?

Anomme on
  • Mostly HarmlessMostly Harmless Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anomme wrote: »
    does the $5 still give you the 30 days game time? or just an acount?

It includes the first 30 days, AFAIK. From memory it says something about extra payment being required beyond the first 30 days.

Mostly Harmless on
    edited November 2009
    HavokBlue wrote: »

Just one last chance to use them as giant flying stick grenades before zomg mah golden umbrellamace shoots lazorz.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Avynte wrote: »
    While you will get better responses if this was posted within the Eve thread, I feel the need to clarify some points.

Eve's skill system is based purely off of time, so you continue to advance whether online or offline. There are few measurements of 'progress' aside from what goals you place for yourself.

Yes the game has been out for a long time and there are numerous rich and skilled players, but that doesn't mean that within 10 hours you can't destroy ships worth hundreds of millions of isk that have been labored over for weeks on end to be constructed. Eve rewards clever thinking and creative use of all your resources.

The same can be said when it comes to making money. Using traditional methods, yes it will take months of training for an effective setup, but through scamming, luck, or other methods I've run into many new players that have exponentially more cash than many vets. Many other players simply don't even log in very often, except for ops, and sell timecards to finance their gameplay. There's lots of options out there depending on how you want to play.

Core is very right though about Eve requiring patience. It's definitely more of a hobby than simply an mmo with plans that scale into the years for investment returns and future goals.

If you do decide to take the plunge, make sure you look over the eve thread and get in touch with the players. PA has a very strong and experienced presence that's willing to help new players immediately jump into the heart of what makes eve so great, and keeps us bitter vets still spinning their ships in stations.

In no other MMO can a new player be such a massively effective part of a PvP fight on almost any scale. There are plenty of great propaganda posters on this, and it is emminently true.

For £3.74, that is 51 days worth of game time if you set it up right.

As for casual - logging in to set your skill queue takes a few minutes a day. Then when you have time - go play the game with all the stuff you can newly achieve.

Teslan26 on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    everyshipcounts.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jesus this guy is laboring over the $5 purchase price? YES IT IS WORTH IT. Fuck, I bought Vanguard off eBay for five bucks and that was worth it, and Vanguard sucks. EVE may not be right for you, you might hate it and rage quit like hundreds of thousands before you, but shit man...$5. I don't know what else to tell you. This is, in fact, a pretty rad game. Just don't approach it like you would with normal MMOs and you'll be fine.

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This idea that you need to play for months to be effective is patently false. We can give you a skill plan that will have you flying tackling frigates in days, especially with the new character 100% training bonus. Once you can fly a tackling frigate you can be an integral part of the battle. Imagine being the frigate, that gets the tackle, that allows us to kill a carrier or a dreadnought. You can do that within a week or two of starting to play.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    It was a Merch Industrial player in a frigate that was responsible for a Titan death back in the day. I mean, it was Shrike and all but still...

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited December 2009
    It was a Merch Industrial player in a frigate that was responsible for a Titan death back in the day. I mean, it was Shrike and all but still...

shrike.jpg

How? I mean? How? How does this happen? Seriously? He's lost more titans then some alliances have even built.

At what point do you think to yourself... "You know, maybe I'm not cut out for this... maybe if I'm gonna be a huge dick on the forums I shouldn't bring my giant golden phallus out on the field so much."

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.