Options

Freedom Force and the sequel with the 3rd Reich

gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
Okay, I was looking for some new games with some singleplayer action for the PC. So I stumbled upon Freedom Force. Is this game any fun? Still worth buying? And shoud I go for the original (Freedom Force) or the sequel? I heard the sequel has Starforce....

pasigcopyox6.jpg
gneGne on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2007
    The sequel does have star force. DEFINITELY play the original. I didn't get through the sequel, found it pretty uninspiring, but the original is fantastic

Tube on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The sequel does have star force. DEFINITELY play the original. I didn't get through the sequel, found it pretty uninspiring, but the original is fantastic

Wait, the sequel does? Shit. I've had Starforce lurking on my computer for a year and a half, then.

Anyway, I found both games fun, but certainly get the first one.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I liked them both, they were really cool games. It's like the strategy-based precursor to Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

The biggest problem with the sequel is that it feels very much like an expansion pack for the original game - there's not much different about it, but since the original gameplay was really solid, it's not that big of a drawback.

It's a shame the multiplayer never seemed to work for me. Even at launch when I went online I could only find a maximum of three or four people in the Irrational lobby.

Saved on
  • Options
    unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I absolutely love this game. There's still a rather strong community coming out with mods and skins still. However, some of them may be a bit hard to find. This is sounding like a game on!

unpurposed on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    they are both really solid games, if as said before the sequel felt a little more like an expansion pack.

i wish there was something new in this universe coming out. I'm such a sucker for the golden age feel.

Edit: They both have to be super cheap (if you can even find the 1st one.)

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    I thought they were both pretty great. You can pick them up for fairly cheap nowadays. I love Irrational, they've put out some great stuff between Freedom Force and the SWAT games. Always a great execution with good atmosphere, even if some of their releases have been a little buggy.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My biggest complaint was minuteman got utterly useless by end game

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ugh, seems only the Europe version of the 3rd Reich has Starforce. Just happens to be the continent I currently inhabit.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They are both great games.

And there is a third one in the works somewhere- apparantly an action title.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    And there is a third one in the works somewhere-
    YAAAAAAY!
    apparantly an action title.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They had been talking about doing episodic content. I guess that fell through.
    If there was ever a game that would benefit I think Freedom Force would be it. Put out a new "story arch" every six months, or whatever? Hells yes. I'd eat it up.

The game really needs some co-op and digital distribution. Hell, 3rd Reich would make for a good XBLA/VC style game.

Accualt on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Wait, the sequel does? Shit. I've had Starforce lurking on my computer for a year and a half, then.
    As noted, only the European version has Starforce. The US version is clean.

On a side note, the only list of Starforce games that I know of is a total piece of crap because it doesn't bother listing this kind of information.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Orogogus wrote: »

On a side note, the only list of Starforce games that I know of is a total piece of crap because it doesn't bother listing this kind of information.

Ah, whew. Thanks.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

The North American release is in fact, Starforce free.

Glop's list is outdated and only contains European information. Boycott Starforce's list is the original and is still maintained.
    http://www.boycottstarforce.net/game-list/

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Lack of ability to upgrade a character's stats limited how useful some characters were considerably. Endurance of 4 just didn't cut it after a while, though he seemed to have been improved in the sequel.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mordrack wrote: »

The North American release is in fact, Starforce free.

Glop's list is outdated and only contains European information. Boycott Starforce's list is the original and is still maintained.
    http://www.boycottstarforce.net/game-list/
    Hey, so it is. My bad. That's actually pretty cool.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Coincidence! I just started playing this...

And I suck. Horribly. Can't even get past the first mission you have Mentor with you.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Furu wrote: »

And I suck. Horribly. Can't even get past the first mission you have Mentor with you.

Use scenery as weapons as much as possible.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are we going to see any more sequals or games similar to these? These were some of the best and original games I've played, ever.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Lack of ability to upgrade a character's stats limited how useful some characters were considerably. Endurance of 4 just didn't cut it after a while, though he seemed to have been improved in the sequel.

It was more due to his slow movement speed an lack of ranged attacks. Plus later enemies basically ignore normal damage types

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Furu wrote: »

The game actually gets easier as you go on.

Being able to create your own character is far too abusable though, balance wise. I made a character who has a super kinetic projectile - low damage, low power, but they have maximum knockback/knockup, which could render enemies unable to attack or respond for 10-15 seconds at a time.

Saved on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I though 3rd Reich was horribly uninspired -- or at the very least makes poor use of good ideas.

Whereas the original takes a series of classic comic book-style backdrops and villains, the sequel recycles some pretty tired areas, and in one case towards the end, forces you to retread the same execrable map TWICE.

I'd suggest 3rd Reich only for finally implementing the X-men style Danger Room.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You know the only problem i have with this game is the fact that I could never find quality skins for DC/Marvel characters.

Seems like with all the C&Ds that went out, everything went underground. Call me lazy, but I really didnt feel like joining 100's of yahoo groups to get the skins I wanted.

It was glorious though before the whole underground movement.

This was at least 2 years ago, if only marvel would lighten up, I'd be back all over this again.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The problem with the sequel was they took away half your control over the characters. You couldn't use a third of your roster midway into the game and too many levels just stuck you with characters to string together the story. Never, ever shoehorn characters when the game is heavy on stat management.

It still burns me up that I couldn't use my three favorite characters by the end of Third Reich. They were just gone.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sorry about thread necro and all.....BUT.....

I noticed this on Steam for five bucks and a penny.

Has anyone been playing this recently? Because my post previous to this one is still valid. Are there any good Marvel skins freely available? Mods?

Even at $5.01 its probably worth it to pick up for the campaigns alone, but I am just wondering bout the modding scene which is most likely dead.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Bueler......Bueler.....

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hmm third reich not as much fun? That's a bummer. Was planning to give it a shot one of these days as I'm kinda giving up on the original.

Not sure where I got stuck, but the game became rather hard and I always got the brain guy killed way too soon.

Alegis on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    arcath wrote: »
    Sorry about thread necro and all.....BUT.....

I noticed this on Steam for five bucks and a penny.

Has anyone been playing this recently? Because my post previous to this one is still valid. Are there any good Marvel skins freely available? Mods?

Even at $5.01 its probably worth it to pick up for the campaigns alone, but I am just wondering bout the modding scene which is most likely dead.

There's a website that lists tons of mods for FF. I can't remember the name, sorry. Try googling it.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I always found Third Reich more fun, actually. Missions are more varied and less frustrating.

Also, if you're ever having problems in either game, spam flyers. Man o' War and Man-Bot both learn the ability with time.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I still remember the first game fondly... I played the hell out of it, downloaded all sorts've skins for new heroes, that sorta thing.

I played the demo for 3rd Reich, which I think just included the first level up to a boss who was like an opera singer or something. It seemed like the exact same game as the first so I never went ahead and purchased it. To this day I don't really feel like I missed anything.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I never finished 3rd Reich. The enemy that cloned himself was incredibly tedious, and I got bored of playing as the dull World War 2 characters

Tube on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I find FF a really difficult game. Am I alone in this? A couple lucky shots by the enemies and a couple unlucky misses by your char and you can really screw yourself later in the level. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

urahonky on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    I find FF a really difficult game. Am I alone in this? A couple lucky shots by the enemies and a couple unlucky misses by your char and you can really screw yourself later in the level. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I wouldn't say you're alone in this. There are parts of the game which seemed really tough to me, though it's been quite a number of years since I played it, and I can't remember them all clearly. But I do remember some pretty frustratingly difficult areas that I came close to cheating my way through.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I wouldn't say you're alone in this. There are parts of the game which seemed really tough to me, though it's been quite a number of years since I played it, and I can't remember them all clearly. But I do remember some pretty frustratingly difficult areas that I came close to cheating my way through.

One thing that I only found out later was that ranged units were drastically less accurate at any real distance, so you were actually better off using your ranged powers from melee range.

Yeah that was annoying.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

It is billed as a strategy RPG for a reason. While not as fragile as Jagged Alliance and the like, many of the characters can only take a bit of damage before biting it. I basically had to bench Minuteman rather quickly because he simply couldn't last in melee without burning the limited self-heals. Not being able to upgrade base stats really hurts a lot of the cast.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Minuteman unfortunately becomes obsolete in the late game.

Tube on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I recently played through the original - as in just a month or so ago. I'd picked it up as part of the 2K games pack that they don't offer anymore.

The game is fun, I'd have just appreciated a little bit better ally AI when you're not directly ordering people. But yeah, it's delightfully campy.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2009
    The thing that bugged me the most about 3rd Reich is that there was the start with Nuclear Winter, and the end with Spoilers, but all the WW2 stuff in the middle was just kind of filler. There wasn't any real plot and most of the villains showed up and then were defeated in the exact same stage.

The strategy was at least a step up from "get somebody with super strength, throw explosives from two blocks away," but they still made some of the battles into complete tedium, especially the ones where you had to protect a single building from tanks that would spawn in random places around the map. Oops, three spawned in the same area at once, guess you'll be restarting the mission.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    The thing that bugged me the most about 3rd Reich is that there was the start with Nuclear Winter, and the end with Spoilers, but all the WW2 stuff in the middle was just kind of filler. There wasn't any real plot and most of the villains showed up and then were defeated in the exact same stage.

They really could have ended it after the WW2 part and I would have been happy. I just lost motivation to keep going after that wrapped up.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

It is billed as a strategy RPG for a reason. While not as fragile as Jagged Alliance and the like, many of the characters can only take a bit of damage before biting it. I basically had to bench Minuteman rather quickly because he simply couldn't last in melee without burning the limited self-heals. Not being able to upgrade base stats really hurts a lot of the cast.
    I mostly solo'ed most of the good bits with the Bullet when I got him. Because he has superspeed AND regeneration. He can get out of danger, heal up, and go right back at punching people faster than they can react. But for most of the game, I was running two playthroughs, one playthrough with an overpowered custom character (and it's easy to make these) and another playthrough with the default characters. Once you do a dry run through the tricky levels, it's much easier to build a team using the default characters. Making liberal use of the pause is key to finish pretty much any task, which stops the flow of the game.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png