Options

Things to do with a laptop w/ a toasted GFX card

UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
About this time last year, I bought an MSI GX620 laptop from newegg to take with me while I study in Australia. It's been a pretty good computer, and I've enjoyed it. I turned on the laptop a few days ago, and the screen remained dark while windows apparently booted. Eventually, some pixellated "effects" slowly faded in on the screen. I hard reset the computer, and the same thing happened again except now it didn't even seem like windows was booting. It now does this every time I turn on the thing.

All that said, I figure that the likely culprit is the included Geforce 9600M. We've had some hot days recently, and combined with some extended X3 play sessions I'm afraid it may have fried itself. It can't be serviced under warranty, and having it repaired is expensive enough that I may as well just get a new one. I'm curious now what I should do with the laptop. As far as I know the rest of it is functional - screen, ram, HDD (which I already know to salvage just to keep my important stuff), and whatnot. It feels like a bit of a waste to let it sit - I just don't know how to make use of any of it.

Any ideas?

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
Ultimanecat on

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you're sure it's the graphics card, why not shop around for an MXMIII GPU and swap it in?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't mean to be captain obvious here, but you've plugged it in to an external monitor and tried to boot, right?

I thought laptop GPUs nowadays always shipped with thermal sensing units that would just shut the system off before it reached dangerous temperatures?

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I agree with Smoke, you should at least try and hook up an external monitor to see if it works on that at the very least.

It sounds like the video card did in fact overheat. The same thing happened to me on my laptop last week, but I had it fixed under warranty. The thing artifacted like crazy then ceased to show picture on the laptop display for good. But I was able to get it to output to an external monitor, although the video drivers wouldn't load, presumably because the video hardware was somehow fucked...

Also that's pretty cool that the OP's model laptop has a replaceable GPU. My laptop's video is onboard.

slash000 on