Options

USB Wireless

Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
Quick query; what should I be looking for in a relatively cheap USB Wireless adapter? Just need something to use for a few months, instead of having to use a laptop wired to the desktop - I live in a block of flats with a shared wireless router.

One of these for example; for pretty basic internet use and very light gaming.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't order some junk, there's alot of 'wireless G' and 'N' around that I don't fully understand.

Silent Tristero on

• Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Quick query; what should I be looking for in a relatively cheap USB Wireless adapter? Just need something to use for a few months, instead of having to use a laptop wired to the desktop - I live in a block of flats with a shared wireless router.

One of these for example; for pretty basic internet use and very light gaming.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't order some junk, there's alot of 'wireless G' and 'N' around that I don't fully understand.

Do you know what type of wireless router you would be connecting to? Because there is no point in paying for a wireless N if the router doesn't support it. Also, you wouldn't by chanve be trying to buy one of these for a xBox 360 would you?

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not for a 360, no, I'm aware of that particular nightmare. I'm not on Gold so I occasionally connect that via a bridge with my laptop, anyway. I just want to stop needing to do that to connect my desktop to the internet, and it's a solution I'll only need until May/June (So I don't think I'll invest in a PCI-E network card at the moment).

Unfortunately I know nothing about the router, although I suspect it's a 'BT Business Hub', which from what I've read is just 802.11g/b.

Any recommendations from Ebuyer would be really helpful.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you want to use ebuyer then go with that Netgear one in your first post. It supports WP2 and it comes with a little extension cable.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just to clarify, this is a tool I could use to give my desktop PC wireless access to the router?

Neurotika on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Just to clarify, this is a tool I could use to give my desktop PC wireless access to the router?

Yes, you plug that into the USB slot on any Windows PC and it will give the PC wireless access. Just do not unplug that the thing without ejecting it, you could burn it out.

Dark Shroud on