As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Live: RROD at friend's place

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
So my g/f and I came over to play some rock band and we start up the Xbox to see an awesome red-ring-o-death - question is, can we take buy an Arcade and put his existing hard drive in it and have everything work? We're on the verge of running down to Best Buy and getting a new one but didn't want to have to pay for another elite.

1ddqd on

• Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yes.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's what I did with mine and it worked just fine (My 360 died before Christmas. Got a new Arcade for Christmas, slotted in the old 20gig and bam, just like old times).

Dunxco on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I recommend doing your research on which Arcade you should get. I forget what mine is, I am at work, but there was a certain voltage you needed to look for and a certain manufacturing date.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I recommend doing your research on which Arcade you should get. I forget what mine is, I am at work, but there was a certain voltage you needed to look for and a certain manufacturing date.

They're all Jaspers now unless you happen to get EXTREMELY unlucky and stumble onto some ancient backstock. Any place that reliably moves systems will be stocked with the newest model.

Esh on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You'll have to log in to Live to be able to use all of your downloaded games and DLC. Otherwise your games will revert to trials when you're offline. There's supposed to be a way to fix this by redownloading titles, but it's never worked for me.

If you're always connected to Live, it's not really a noticeable issue, though.

Also, you can check for Jasper models by looking for the 12.1 A rating near the power plug port, but as Esh said, they're pretty much all Jaspers now from what I gather!

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You'll have to log in to Live to be able to use all of your downloaded games and DLC. Otherwise your games will revert to trials when you're offline. There's supposed to be a way to fix this by redownloading titles, but it's never worked for me.

If you're always connected to Live, it's not really a noticeable issue, though.

Also, you can check for Jasper models by looking for the 12.1 A rating near the power plug port, but as Esh said, they're pretty much all Jaspers now from what I gather!

You can use the license transfer tool on xbox.com to fix that issue you mention.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I say check though. Better sort of safe than sorry. I say sort of safe because it will red ring on you/us eventually. Just a matter of time.

I have the Jasper or whatever arcade version. Got it in September. Was my 5th 360. :?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It sounds like newer consoles aren't exactly immune, either.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It sounds like newer consoles aren't exactly immune, either.

That says an Elite. Doesn't say what was on the inside.

Like I said, look for the newest Arcade. Double check that it is the right one. And make sure you install your games.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png