Options

Logitech X-240 - intermittent speaker problem.

SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
Essentially, sound is only coming out of the left speaker. This is the setup, to the best of my knowledge (desk is a mess):

Output (jack) from the PC goes to the "control pod," which has a volume dial. From there, a cord runs to the sub-woofer (no jack), which is plugged into a power outlet. If the woofer isn't plugged in, the entire set is powerless.

Anyway, that's already two cords attached to the woofer. The third is a line that splits a ways up and connects to the two speakers (jack).

Occasionally, the right speaker just stops working. I don't know what causes it, I don't know what fixes it. There's a headphone jack on the "control pod," and when I plug some headphones into that, even when the right speaker's silent, the headphones work just fine, both speakers.

It's working just fine at the moment, but it's only a matter of time before that changes for no reason.

What might be causing this?

Update:

Alright, after some research, I've discovered that apparently this is another case of "you get what you pay for."

This was a gift, so I didn't know it was only like $40-$50. tl;dr, it's shit and don't buy these speakers.

userbar.jpg
desura_Userbar.png
Seeks on

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Update (Okay, not really, just another question):

Is it possible to connect "boombox" speakers to a computer? Hear me out. The cable going from the sub woofer to the (now disconnected) computer speakers splits at some point, one wire per speaker obviously. Is it possible to just cut the old PC speaker off and connect the bare wires from the other speakers to its corresponding (L/R) wire, or is there something special that would stop that from working?

I'll admit I'm mostly ignorant of audio setups, installing a car stereo being the most complex task I'm capable of.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How does that cable connect to the speakers? Is it a 1/4" stereo connector? It probably won't work, because these kinds of computer speakers are powered differently than speakers you connect to a stereo.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It worked actually, but it's not a straight-from-PC-to-speakers setup. It goes from the PC to a control pod, to the subwoofer (hard connection, can't remove), and from there you can plug in different sets of speakers. So I just snipped the shitty logitechs off of the line and connected the "boombox" speakers to their wires and it worked great.

Looks a little funny though, giant speakers behind my monitor and everything.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png