As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Freeware security [pc]

Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess?Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Suffice to say, the security we had on our computer underperformed. All fixable, but annoying nonetheless, and if there is a free program that can get the job done the same if not better, than I would prefer that to buying new software or renewing a subscription. I've used freeware programs for a variety of things in the past so I'm not leery, but considering this is computer security we are talking about, I thought it would be wise to ask you guys for recommendations. I understand I might need to download a number of programs to create a full security package (which I don't mind), I would just like personal recommendations from you fine folks. What have you guys used and been happy with?

Muse Among Men on

• Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Security from what exactly? If it's just the general spyware, virsus, etc then you can't go wrong with malwarebytes and avg. That'll keep you free from most everything except the nastiest stuff that you generally only get when you do things you know you really shouldn't.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Avast and Avira are both good free anti-virus apps. I think AVG is getting bloated and intrusive lately. If you install Avast make sure you only install the Standard Shield (the others will slow everything down). With Avira you will probably want to disabled the nag screen (google is your friend).

SuperAntiSpyware (generic name and all) along with Malware-Bytes Anti-Malware should keep you covered from all the nasties if you scan after doing anything suspicious.

I don't think there are any free real-time spyware/adware/malware scanners, only virus scanners.

Using Firefox and Adblock Plus (specifically using the malware filter) will help a lot. Using Opera or Chrome instead will further protect you from malicious websites exploiting stuff.

Overall common sense is the best tool you can use. If it's a family computer then common sense is probably a lost cause, so set up separate users to protect your own data at least.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Avast and Avira are both good free anti-virus apps. I think AVG is getting bloated and intrusive lately. If you install Avast make sure you only install the Standard Shield (the others will slow everything down). With Avira you will probably want to disabled the nag screen (google is your friend).

Today I actually agree about AVG. I just noticed that after the last avg update a screen has been popping up asking me to buy avg. Since it sounds like Avira doesn't do that, I'm going to check it out.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Most people will shun me for this, but Microsoft has their Security Essentials out now, blends right in with windows and has caught a few viruses that have gotten onto my machine via the nafarious sites that I visit... It's totally free and 32/64-bit and Windows 7 compatible...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow, thanks for the help :)

I know people recommend having a backup spyware removal tool, should I install a second virus protection program? I have malwarebytes installed now, but still curious.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Generally you want one virus and one spyware scanner, if you want the backup, but remember that for every scanner you install it's like having another security checkpoint in an airport. You go through one, put your shoes back up, get your things together proud you'll be getting to your flight on time, only to discover that once you round the corner there's a second security checkpoint, forcing you to take your shoes off, wait in line, and go through all that crap again, missing your flight...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is Spybot S&D still good?

Dr. Gero on
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It still works fine for me.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Overall common sense is the best tool you can use. If it's a family computer then common sense is probably a lost cause, so set up separate users to protect your own data at least.

Oh, wow, I'm necroposting in such an old thread of mine . . . but it is relevant I promise. My sister caught a nasty virus. Thankfully, it seems to only be affecting her account (as in, thankful I can still access the internet). I had hoped that she would be more tech-savvy . . . but then again, Internet Explorer 6 is my father's browser of choice so . . . Suffice to say, I ran SuperAntispyware and removed a number of nasties, and ran a full scan on malware bytes (which didn't find anything) but things have only slightly improved. I also ran avast and it detected a few more but wasn't able to get rid of them.

The virus in question is 'xp defender', which I'd recognized upon seeing the pop-ups; our Aunt and cousins had had a similar problem on their home pc once. They never fixed it because they were getting a new laptops for each other anyway so I can't call them up because they wouldn't know.

What now?

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You might have more luck asking in the security thread in the technology sub-forum.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Alright, thank you.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    All you need are the Microsoft Security essentials and Malwarebytes programs. Anything else is likely bloated or won't catch everything they need to catch. Using Firefox with AdBlock is also advised. You can go a step further and use NoScript as well. Just have to learn which sites are the ones you can trust and which arent.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh Gosh . . . I waited so long . . .

I'll download the Microsoft Security Essentials, see how that goes :)

Muse Among Men on