As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fireplace virgins!

IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mightyand facepalm.Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
With our heater kicking the bucket a week ago my mom has decided to take a stab at the fireplace. After a false start or two, she's finally managed to get a respectable fire going - only now our house is filled with smoke. The flue is definitely open, and we've opened the front door, back door and a nearby window at varying intervals but there's a cold wind outside (which ruins the entire point of lighting a fire in the first place). There's a ceiling fan on our second floor, so that's going on its "pull" direction, but then we discovered what the upstairs smoke alarm sounds like.

So. How do we not smoke up the house next time?

steam_sig.png
Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
Backlog Challenge List
Ianator on

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    double check your chimney?

check for leaks?

Maybe build the fire further back

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It needs to be professionally cleaned. There's all manner of shit from baby raccoons to bats and bird nests that you can't really deal with yourself.

edit: Also, if there's substantial pressure on the chimney and it's not covered properly you can get a nice little downward vortex pushing into your home.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You chimney is probably blocked. I remember my folks have a problem with birds building nests in theirs when I was a wee lad.

Mustang on
  • Options
    SunstrandSunstrand Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Make sure the flute is open, the flapper that closes the chimney. Once that is open, open a window in the same room just a bit, then roll up a newspaper light it and stick it up the chimney to warm it up so you don't have a draft coming down the chimney. Once it's warm 30 seconds or so, then light the main fire.

Sunstrand on
    BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    And keep in mind that things like fans can redirect the airflow, even with a perfectly open chimney.

For example the exhaust fan above my stove will pull the smoke out of the fireplace and into the house.

Arrath on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Get an insert put in if you're serious about running the fire, open fireplaces are very very rarely net-positive in heating.

Robman on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I would absolutely not use that fireplace again until you get a professional out to look at/clean it.

Esh on
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Some fireplaces never draw properly. If it doesn't draw after cleaning, then it probably never will.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The chimney is most definitely clean. We had a sweeper come by in September, and it was practically spotless then. We'd lived here for a good year before that, too. The flute is open - smoke is going out, just not all of it.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lot can happen up there in six months. I would consider getting it checked again, carbon monoxide poisoning is nothing to sneeze at.

3drage on