As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sleeping patterns. Is this normal?

SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My doctor has me on ambien for my insomnia. Now I have no problem getting to sleep, but I still consistently wake up at least once throughout the night. I cant remember the last time I slept for a solid 7-8 hours straight. Is this something I should be concerned about, or is it something everyone goes through and I'm just being paranoid?

Sakebomb on

• Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I imagine it may have to do with your situation. At home I can sleep through my girlfriends alarm going off, her getting out of bed and leaving, and stay sleeping for a good 8-10 hours. In my dorm however I haven't slept through a night, no matter how tired or how short the night, without waking up at least once if not twice.

Basically what I am getting at is has your sleeping situation changed recently?

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, I wake up all the time throughout the night, roll over and go back to sleep. Like, every night.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I only sleep 7 hours straight when I'm really, really tired. Most nights I wake up once or twice to use the bathroom and then go right back to sleep. It's normal.

badger2d on
    Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It could be perfectly normal, but it could also be a sign of more serious issues...
    which apparently you know about as you are on medication for insomnia.
    bring it up next time you see your doc?

RubberAC on
  • Options
    .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    If you have no problem actually going to sleep, maybe try to get on Ambien CR. It's extended release and may help you stay asleep. Now, it didn't work for me and I just fight to go back to sleep, but it helped my father. How much Ambien are you taking? I actually take 15mg (prescribed, of course), but my problem isn't staying asleep most of the time, it's getting there in the first place.

Ask your doctor about Ambien CR. If that's not a solution for you, maybe you have sleep apnea. How good is your mattress and what conditions do you sleep in? If it's not chilly in my room, I don't sleep well. If there is too much noise, I don't sleep well. And so on and so forth.

. on
    Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • Options
    Cptn PantsCptn Pants Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've NEVER slept a whole night, ever... once I was up for 3 days strait and even then I think I only slept for 2 or 3 hours before waking up for a few minutes. Shit, I had Mono and could only sleep for at most 5 hours. Then again I have sleep apnea and a destroyed shoulder that causes 24 hour a day pain... I wouldn't sweat it, but I'm not on medication.

Cptn Pants on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Hows your mattress? When I got to school I had massive sleep problems. Falling asleep when I was dog tired wasn't an issue, but staying asleep was hard. I got a memory foam cover for my bed, and the four inches of cushiness increased my sleep tenfold.

maybe something to look into along with talking to your doctor

Iruka on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can't remember ever sleeping for 8 hours straight. For as long as I can remember I've always woken up at least once or twice a night, rolled over and went back to sleep.

How long does it take you to get back to sleep once you've woken up in the middle of the night?

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    CrystalMethodistCrystalMethodist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I know this sounds totally super lame, but you might have sleep apnea, which is surprisingly common and surprisingly deadly. If it's left untreated, it can lead to serious problems. It's worth looking into.

CrystalMethodist on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why are you waking up? Is it to use the restroom? Loud noise? Suddenly gets quiet? Temp change?

travathian on
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Being on Ambien I'm actually surprised you even remember waking up. Sounds like your internal clock is a little off what is considered normal. I can tell you that when I work graveyard (like I am now) like clockwork I wake up at 3pm every single time (roughly after 5 hours of sleep), but when I'm able to sleep nights, I sleep all the way through. Maybe your body likes a different schedule? I guess it could possibly be sleep apnea, are you feeling well-rested for the day or exhausted? If it's the latter, you might consider a sleep study.

3drage on
  • Options
    SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for responses. Im definately going to ask about sleep apnea and ambien cr on my next doctor visit.
    travathian wrote: »
    Why are you waking up? Is it to use the restroom? Loud noise? Suddenly gets quiet? Temp change?

A little bit everything really. Seems to change every night. Past couple of nights it gets too warm in the bedroom. Sometimes i have to take a wiz, sometimes my roommate starts playing WoW and forgets to plug in his headphones, sometimes my throat is dry and I need a glass of water.
    Also, my wife works nightshift and comes home from work around 2:30-3am, but strangely enough, I usually sleep right through her crawling into bed.

Also, I think you guys are right and its time to look into getting a new mattress. Currently have springs, and those foam mattresses look really nice. Any idea what a good brand/price for one is?

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sakebomb wrote: »
    My doctor has me on ambien for my insomnia. Now I have no problem getting to sleep, but I still consistently wake up at least once throughout the night. I cant remember the last time I slept for a solid 7-8 hours straight. Is this something I should be concerned about, or is it something everyone goes through and I'm just being paranoid?
    Try Ambien CR.

Do you drink before bed?

If you're a big dude/smoke/asthmatic, it could be a form of apnea, in which case I suggest a sleep study.
    Also, I think you guys are right and its time to look into getting a new mattress. Currently have springs, and those foam mattresses look really nice. Any idea what a good brand/price for one is?
    You're gonna spend anywhere from 1500 to 2000 for anything decent. Do not buy one of those cheap ass Chinese knockoffs. When people are complaining about foam mattresses being too hot and smelling like a Dow chemical plant, it's the cheap shit mattresses they're complaining about.

GungHo on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Generally it's a better idea to just drop $300 on a 3 inch foam mattress topper than to buy a new bed. They're just as good, and cheaper to boot.

Unless you're looking for like memory foam, and sleep number type beds.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I got a queen sized Tempurpedic brand memory foam mattress for $700. If you don't need to buy it immediately you have the luxury of shopping around for a bit, getting baseline prices, and waiting for the next sale.

Everything listed is a perfectly normal reason to be woken up at night. So long as you are able to fall back asleep pretty quick I wouldn't worry about it. To avoid waking up at night to urinate, avoid drinking anything after dinner and make sure you use the restroom before bed. If the air is dry consider getting a humidifier. If you had sleep apnea you'd be waking up repeatedly throughout the night, you've given specific circumstances of waking up. Ambien CR costs a fuckload more than generic Ambien, and really isn't indicated for your problem. Sleeping aids are designed for people who have trouble getting to sleep for no good reason, and who have trouble staying asleep for no good reason.

travathian on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm surprised at how many take Ambien considering how shitty it is.

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's because there are a lot of shitty doctors out there. Soon as you say I can't sleep, here's an Ambien script with max refills, hope it helps. Ambien isn't indicated to be taken every night for the rest of your life, but it is a lot easier for a doctor to just write a script than it is to spend time with a patient getting to the root cause of the problem.

travathian on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    All of the sleep aides pretty much mimic ambien. Though, people who take ambien often experience at least one of the really, really shitty side effects.

Like, seeing things, or going bat-shit insane.

But yeah, like all sleep aides, they're temporary reliefs to the issue. Sort of like pain pills for a wound. But you don't just keep giving pain pills and hope the wound goes away.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I usually just have the blackouts. As long as I don't drink any time at night around taking the Ambien CR, I'm ok.

However, and this is just occasional, I'll wake up with strange pains in the anus. I've never been able to pin that one down. It usually happens around poker night with the brosephs.

GungHo on
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    I usually just have the blackouts. As long as I don't drink any time at night around taking the Ambien CR, I'm ok.

However, and this is just occasional, I'll wake up with strange pains in the anus. I've never been able to pin that one down. It usually happens around poker night with the brosephs.
    :winky:

I didn't realize how common it is for people to wake up in the middle of the night. There was a month or two period last year where I would wake up once or twice every few days, but in general I sleep straight through the night. I'm weird D: Or perhaps I simply don't remember it, I have been known to forget conversations after being woken up and then promptly falling asleep again.

Kronus on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've honestly never known anyone to sleep though an entire night uninterrupted.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The problem isn't the interruption... going to pee, turning the fan off... that's not a problem. Not being able to get to sleep for another three hours, every single fucking night, that's a problem.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Seeks wrote: »

I do all the time, unless the dog is digging for a kibble he left under the rug or couch at 12am.

Hell, my fiancee could wake up and get out of bed, have a coughing fit and come back to bed and I'd still sleep through it, and frequently DO sleep through it.

My father and brothers are the same way. Sleep anywhere any time. o_O

rfalias on
  • Options
    etdragonetdragon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    rfalias wrote: »

I do all the time, unless the dog is digging for a kibble he left under the rug or couch at 12am.

Hell, my fiancee could wake up and get out of bed, have a coughing fit and come back to bed and I'd still sleep through it, and frequently DO sleep through it.

You sound remarkably like my husband. He falls asleep in 10 minutes and stays asleep for 7-8 hours. It's mind blowing.

I on the other hand have some really nasty insomnia and even when that isn't kicking my butt I'm still one of those people who wakes up at least once during the night. I'm just a really light sleeper. The only time I've ever slept straight through the night was during the first trimester of my pregnancy because I was just so damn tired.

OP, I would say the waking up during the night is pretty normal and shouldn't be too problematic unless it takes you a very long time to fall back asleep. If you are struggling to fall back asleep the Ambien CR might help with that. I've had some friends who have had great success with that drug.

etdragon on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    etdragon wrote: »

You sound remarkably like my husband. He falls asleep in 10 minutes and stays asleep for 7-8 hours. It's mind blowing.

I on the other hand have some really nasty insomnia and even when that isn't kicking my butt I'm still one of those people who wakes up at least once during the night. I'm just a really light sleeper. The only time I've ever slept straight through the night was during the first trimester of my pregnancy because I was just so damn tired.

OP, I would say the waking up during the night is pretty normal and shouldn't be too problematic unless it takes you a very long time to fall back asleep. If you are struggling to fall back asleep the Ambien CR might help with that. I've had some friends who have had great success with that drug.

Yeah, my fiancee is the same way, she's in her first trimester and sleeps like a rock, except to get up and pee.

rfalias on
  • Options
    etdragonetdragon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    etdragon wrote: »

Yeah, my fiancee is the same way, she's in her first trimester and sleeps like a rock, except to get up and pee.
    Yup exactly how I was. It was amazing. First time in like 8 years I've been able to sleep straight through for like 8-10 hours. Now that I'm in the third trimester it's amazing if I can stay asleep for like 1 hour.

etdragon on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Any time you have a medication that you're concerned about whether or not it is working properly, you should talk to your doctor and/or your pharmacist.

That said, waking up once a night is pretty normal IMO.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I used to have a really crappy mattress, and I started waking up, because I was sore from sleeping on a crappy bed. I went and got a comfortable mattress and I haven't had a problem since.

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know this sounds totally super lame, but you might have sleep apnea, which is surprisingly common and surprisingly deadly. If it's left untreated, it can lead to serious problems. It's worth looking into.

I was going to mention this, but I'll just repost it. You really should find out if you have sleep apnea.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    Cptn PantsCptn Pants Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I was going to mention this, but I'll just repost it. You really should find out if you have sleep apnea.

Sleep apnea is pretty common, I have it... It scares the shit out of my girlfriend. The first or second time she slept over I woke up with a loud gasp (which is pretty common for me) and she was crying, she thought I had died in my sleep lol. Now her dog will sleep on my diaphragm or neck and will bark to wake me up if I stop breathing. So yea, my advice get a Chihuahua and let him sleep on you... it's more comfortable then that sleep mask thing the doctor gave me. I hate that mask so much.

Cptn Pants on