As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My new Comic! Need Feeback

nickmarksnickmarks Registered User new member
edited April 2007 in Artist's Corner
I call it "The Teenagers Guide to Reality"

http://www.theteenagersguidetoreality.com

Enjoy.

Nick

P.S. Don't be stoned and read it. jk

nickmarks on

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Wow... That's obnoxiously boring.

Grifter on
  • Options
    couch-potatocouch-potato Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What the fuck is this?

couch-potato on
    "We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special. "
    -Stephen Hawking
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    LOL thanks:) That is what i was going for.

Well if anyone has any thoughts on how I could jazz it up please share. Maybe do it in flash? I plan on redoing graphics later but trying to narrow down structure and content of pages first.

nickmarks on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    To couch-potato...

not really sure myself....just doing it. I am trying to compile all my thoughts on life and the universe into a comic book form

nickmarks on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh Lord, so boring, so user un-friendly!

Also, don't sign your posts, your name is right there on top... we all know it's your post... nobody is gonna take it from you.

-MagicToaster

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If it were any less insipid or it presented some kind of actual agenda, I would suspect it was written by a sociopath.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    Spanky The DolphinSpanky The Dolphin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    nickmarks wrote: »
    To couch-potato...

not really sure myself....just doing it. I am trying to compile all my thoughts on life and the universe into a comic book form

Your thoughts on life and the universe are a little too trite and pretentious.

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I like the part where they touch each other's special places.

Also, anyone willing to read this will already know it, and everyone else won't want to read it. It's redundant, and the pictures are too big for my scroll, so it's frustrating to have to scroll and click the little arrow. You use the same few designs many times. Good luck with that, and all.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i actually didnt find it that bad after I got passed the bit about the icons, and over the lame art. As in, some of the pacing seemed to fit, and you seem to have a clear way of giving your message.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    mr0rangemr0range Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I got annoyed clicking the small icon to read one page at a time. I actually skipped the first 2 pages not realizing THAT was the comic and I was supposed to click it.

Is it un-user friendly or user unfriendly?

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This actually made me want to shoot myself, but not in the way you intended. I mean, in the "why did I read 5 pages into this?" way.

I really don't mind the art, but your take on the subject matter is just so cliche and not funny, that coupled with the art, it bores me to tears. I think this idea has been used millions of times, just repackaged.

I really wish I could say something nice about this, but there's really nothing there that's interesting.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I got bored and quit reading after trying to stomache far too much forced-intellectualism.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The whole thing feels like a conversation with somebody who's taken LSD recently but not Timothy Leary. He was actually interesting. This comic sounds like a conversation with a retarded Stephen Hawking on acid.

Firstly, fix your user interface. It blows fat chunks. You're not going to get anyone to read it if you can't provide an easy way to get through it. If you could animate it in Flash, it would take a lot of the work out of looking at it and you might be able to keep people somewhat interested in it long enough to get to the end.

The "art" is questionable at best. It's downright dull and repetitive. You need to be able to make it interesting to look at so that you don't have people yawning after three pages.

I don't really want to talk about the subject matter, though I do agree with Elliotto. It just hurts to read it. There's nothing intellectually stimulating here. It's all incredibly insipid. You state the obvious like it is a mindblowing revelation. There isn't a single original thought in this thing you call a comic.

Alright, I really don't have the energy to go on about this any longer. At the end of it all, you need to put more effort into this if you're going to make it even moderately interesting to read.

Grifter on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I...liked...it...

DeeLock on
  • Options
    Fire_FoxFire_Fox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It seemed a little too simple. I couldn't tell if you are trying to be serious or humorous. You need to focus on your demographic. Who are you trying to actually reach and for what reason. If this is indeed serious and your demo is teenagers, I felt as though it was written for something you would read to a small child.

As far as entertainment value... I felt bored with the few simple shapes repeated to many times.

If this was a joke I must have missed the punch line.

However, the time you have put into it so far shows you have some determination. For that, good job.

Fire_Fox on
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is hilarious!

...That is as far as we have explored...

Gold!

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    TimTheSloth: Thanks! :) I get a kick out of writing....it reads way more serious than it is intended. At least you got a bit of joy out of it.

Fire_Fox: I just had a baby girl:) She is 10 days old. I guess I kinda wrote it with her in mind. Something really simple to explain the world to her. I will try to Teen it up more. Also am planning on redoing artwork. Here is some of my " paint it fo reals " art..

http://www.gameartacademy.com/markscomics/

So I will try to lost the repeated shapes.

Deelock:
    Cool :)

Grifter: ROFL. I want to use that on the back of the bookjacket. "nickmarks is this generations retarded Steven Hawkins."

Thanks for the constructive crit. I will definately make it flash.

As far as it not being original...sure. I am just trying to take all the stuff I have read or been told or observed and turn it into the simplest form possible.

It also not aimed at you. If you already have the universe named and tagged then it isn't for you. But for a young person that hasn't really had much guidiance or thought to much about life. I would hope this would be a bit of stepping stone to start.

Mr. Elliotto: Will try to jazz it up for you.

Bread of Wonder: Guess I gotta work some more on it.

Mr. Orange: Will resize the pics smaller and make it more user friendly.

GreatNation: I'll take that! Thanks

SrSizzy:
    Yes. I think you might be right. Finding the audience for this will be hard. Will fix interface for you and scale down pics. I have huge monitor and didn't factor that in.

Spanky The Dolphin: sorry.

Utsanomiko: LOL. The agenda comes later so hold off on the sociopath remark.

Magic Toaster: Sorry. Will sign posts. I think that what you mean

nickmarks

nickmarks on
  • Options
    Spanky The DolphinSpanky The Dolphin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hear that guys? It isn't for us!

What a total difference that clarification makes!

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm pretty sure demographic makes every difference.

But with that said, I don't think it would hold the attention of the intended demographic.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I just had a baby girl:) She is 10 days old. I guess I kinda wrote it with her in mind. Something really simple to explain the world to her.

See, now that I know this aspect I can completely respect the concept behind the project, but I think you need to redesign the execution.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    we've all got to start somewhere but what you're doing isn't compelling and the art is ridiculous. of course sometimes there's nothing wrong with that -- you can get away with ridiculous art with a fresh concept and like elliotto said, good execution but you're just poorly regurgitating stuff we have all seen a million times before. i think the repetition is one of the biggest problems as well as the medium possibly. this might be more suited to just creative writing at this stage.

this is a great example of using simple art and repetition in a interesting, well executed manner..
    http://koti.welho.com/alaari/lodger/ilove.swf

Axim on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why would you choose to explain 'reality' to a young group in such a philosophical way? Youre not really thinking this through.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    EdmanEdman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, right off the bat, the first "your" should definitely be "you're" - that absolutely will classify this as pseudo-intellectualism at best.

It is a bit pretentious, even though it's for your daughter.

Outside of telling you to proofread your text, I haven't much to add that others haven't already covered.

Edman on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    first page, "it's" should be "its"

third page, "their" should be "there"

i flipped to page 30 or so and stopped because it was taking too long to page through

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
  • Options
    PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hmm. The site won't load for me.

What a damn shame. :|

PeterAndCompany on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Treeloot on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fire_Fox: I just had a baby girl:) She is 10 days old. I guess I kinda wrote it with her in mind. Something really simple to explain the world to her.

Yeah... I think yours and my definition of 'teenager' are drastically different.

Next time on Tellie Tubbies, Tinkie-Winkie gushes about solipsism while Po just says 'unlock your mind!' over and over. :P

This all might make for a quaint Channel One opening vignette, but otherwise there's too little of real messages in an overly-symbolic package.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Fire_Fox: I just had a baby girl:) She is 10 days old. I guess I kinda wrote it with her in mind. Something really simple to explain the world to her.

Yeah... I think yours and my definition of 'teenager' are drastically different.

Next time on Tellie Tubbies, Tinkie-Winkie gushes about solipsism while Po just says 'unlock your mind!' over and over. :P

This all might make for a quaint Channel One opening vignette, but otherwise there's too little of real messages in an overly-symbolic package.

Ha, I was wondering when somebody would point that out.

Some of the concepts/flow are interesting...but overall, there are a lot of...problems. All the ones I would've mentioned have already been said.

The "trapped" bit is vaguely unnerving, probably due in part to the fact that telling a child [that is, once your newborn understands language] that they are "trapped" in their minds, and "trapped" on the earth, along with everybody else...just doesn't seem entirely right.

Also, mentioning sex in a children [infant's?] book.

Also, the fact that your "characters" are so completely abstract and really don't look like anything a child could relate to...with hollow eyes...

...I think your entire project is kind of creepy, to be honest.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Another reason brought to my attention that this will fail to communicate to teens (babies?) today:

They're not Generation X-ers.

"Like, you know... sheeple." It's a whole other language and upbringing of pretentious self-satisfaction.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    GETWORSE.gif

I was looking for an excuse to use this. Thanks, kid!

multimoog on
  • Options
    MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Stopped reading at the 'their' error.

Moss on
  • Options
    Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ahh it's not hip OR trendy!

but it is annoying.

i thought i was reading postage stamps at first..then i saw the larger images...i don't know which version i liked less..

also..you're planning to teach a human about reality with

-creepy looking naked things
    -a bajillion pages that all look like the page before it.
    -and horrible grammar

no kid would have the patience for this, let alone teenagers.

Grim Outlook on
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How does this not break the rules?

Other than that...
    Picture2.jpg

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Eh, grammar and boring, repetitive artwork aside, the idea isn't too bad... just needs to be executed a little... better... for lack of other words. If you can do work like this http://www.gameartacademy.com/markscomics/, then I'm sure you can think of something a little more exciting/interesting/unique for the artwork on the comic.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    staffsstaffs Registered User new member
    edited April 2007
    Aside from all the other very valid crits already posted I'd like to add that your comic had a distinct flavour of brainwashing cult propaganda about it. I sat through the whole thing waiting for motherships and bigamy.

staffs on
    10 SIN
    20 GOTO HELL
  • Options
    CheebahawkCheebahawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Stop sitewhoring.

Cheebahawk on
    cheeb_sig.gif
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    you had me read it until about page 20 when i realized you had no idea where you were going and it just got repetetive.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Alright, I think we're done with this now.

Grifter on
This discussion has been closed.