Options

Hard Drive Errors

stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
I have a new hard drive, just replaced, that keeps having errors on it. I have older parts around said hardrive and I am wondering. Is it possible that something like a corrupted ram stick or something is contributing to these write errors? if not what might? i have a win 7 64bit system, quadcore processor, 2 gb of ram. etc. I get the occasional blue screen error and am rather frustrated.

steam_sig.png
stopgap on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hard to say without the error you're getting.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Was the system ever stable? Was the HDD the only thing that changed?

If you answered yes to both, I would start by running some diag tools on the HDD. Run chkdsk then check the manufacturer's website for said tools.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    ryjasenryjasen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hitachi's drive fitness test can give you a clear answer if it's just a defective drive or not. I'd check the drive before you bother trying to determine if something else in the machine is causing it. Lemons can happen, even on replacements unfortunately.

ryjasen on
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    so ended up getting another hard drive, this one from seagate, problem is, although the drive works, im getting blue screens, and some of the issues are weird, like trying to write to a read only memory area and stuff like that.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IconoclysmIconoclysm Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's possible that it's a bad power supply, motherboard, bad RAM etc but without more information, we're really just stabbing in the dark.

Make a note of the blue screens 'STOP' number next time it happens.
    List all the hard drives, floppy/dvd drives, USB memory sticks you have connected to the PC.

Try installing this: http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html
    It will interrogate your hard drives internal fault diagnostics and list any hard drives that have any physical problems. It'll say whether a drive is good or not at the top of the screen.

Iconoclysm on
    t=54717
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sounds more like an IRQ conflict of some kind or possibly some failing RAM.

Mugsley on