As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vintage Macintosh Question...

EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles.Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm kicking around the idea of buying either a Color Classic II, SE/30, or something from the LC 500 line for some vintage gaming. As long as they're running system 7 or 8 they'll all run the same games, correct?

Also, besides Ebay, is there a good resource for buying them?

Esh on

• Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    SE/30

If you buy one make sure to buy like two or three because the monitor controller cards in those things burn out spontaneously.

Before I cleaned out I had 3 SE/30's. All three would post but I had to scrounge the monitor controllers out of two of them to keep the last one working. You know they've burned when all you can get them to draw is this sorta squished checkerboard pattern.

As for buying them... well maybe a decade ago the place to go was university surplus stores but at this point yeah eBay or craigslist is probably your best bet.

As for OS's... 8 changed a bunch of stuff. If you're looking to play System 6 / 7 stuff you probably want OS 7.6. OS 8 started to add lots of stuff for PPC and wider color palettes so stuff written for 8 often won't work on 7.6 or older. Also, 7.6 was the last version to really have GOOD support for nib disc images*. By the time OS 8 came out the Apple II emulator wasn't really being maintained.

*It was the last OS I was able to manage to play Earth Orbit Stations** on.
    ** If Elite was the predecessor of EVE Online, then EOS was it's ANCESTOR; complex, poorly documented, and jews in space.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The best model for classic gaming, imo, is the LCIII. It's cheap as hell because they made so many. It's also compatible with the amazing IIe card, so you can also play Apple II games from disk or disk image, with II joysticks even.
    Definitely stick with system 7. I'd also suggest *not* getting an AIO machine like the SEs or classics.

desdinova on
    wat
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    desdinova wrote: »
    The best model for classic gaming, imo, is the LCIII. It's cheap as hell because they made so many. It's also compatible with the amazing IIe card, so you can also play Apple II games from disk or disk image, with II joysticks even.
    Definitely stick with system 7. I'd also suggest *not* getting an AIO machine like the SEs or classics.

Do you think this is too much to pay for a LC III?

I do at some point have my heart set on a nice working LC 500 series or a Color Classic II, but in the meantime I guess I wouldn't mind "the pizza box".

Do you know a good resource for finding games?

Esh on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If you have to pay shipping on top of that, maybe yeah. Big question is what conditions is it REALLY in. If it's actually in good condition with a working floppy then yeah that's an acceptable price.
    I do at some point have my heart set on a nice working LC 500 series or a Color Classic II, but in the meantime I guess I wouldn't mind "the pizza box".

The integrated monitors are ALWAYS the weakest link with pre-iMac models. The disk drives can give out due to neglect but the monitor controllers are always the first thing to actually fail outright; and they do.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This thread has me thinking about picking up an old mac. I just bought my first Mac (a macbook pro) since owning a IIci way back when.

Looks like another IIci or even a quadra 700 can be had relatively cheap. If I do pick one up, how hard is it to go dig up software for these?

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Six wrote: »
    This thread has me thinking about picking up an old mac. I just bought my first Mac (a macbook pro) since owning a IIci way back when.

Looks like another IIci or even a quadra 700 can be had relatively cheap. If I do pick one up, how hard is it to go dig up software for these?

Not hard to find crummy downloads but a lot of the stuff back in the day was shareware and in many cases the publishers simply won't exist anymore.

The typical mac user in the 90's purchased software because mac shareware was much more annoying about demanding payment, and simultaneously often worth paying for.

Towards the end in the 8/9 days the best selling shareware was Kaleidoscope, which just gave you the ability to override the window styles; it didn't functionally do anything helpful but it was cool so people paid for it.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What sort of monitors work with the LC III's?

Esh on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What sort of monitors work with the LC III's?

It's a 15 pin VGA connector that's been squished into two rows of 8 and 7. You can buy simple pin-mapping adapter bricks and run it in 8 bit VGA mode, or use an apple LC monitor and run it at less then VGA resolution at full 16 bit color.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    desdinova wrote: »

Is an LC III needed for most stuff pre-92? There's this LC on Ebay with the Apple II card that looks pretty nice.

Esh on
  • Options
    desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The ethernet and II card makes it tempting, shame he doesn't have the cable for it though. The LCI might be better for pre~90 stuff because it's still an '020 and can run 6. However if you're thinking of colour games you really want an '030+PMMU. That's why I usually suggest the LCIII.
    Ebay is definitely not the best place to look for this stuff. It used to be a great place to score gear but it's filled with scrappers/dealers and dreamers just fishing for fools with too much money. Craigslist, boot sales, ham swapmeets... you'll get much more for much less if you're lucky. The last LCIII I got had a cache card, PMMU fitted and I got it for free. My last free score was a ton of atari stuff, 600XL, 130XE, Indus GT drive, foo. Good things come to those who wait!

desdinova on
    wat
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Since you are in portland, it might be worth the 3 hour drive to go up to Re-PC in Seattle.

This place carries (or did one or two years ago) a shit load of old Macs with monitors. They also have old software too. I bought a SE and a LC520 from these guys when I was in high school.

Its a good place to go because they are going to have all the hardware and adapters you need and you will also be able to turn the machine on and check it out in the store.

Vintage Mac road trip!

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Akilae729 wrote: »
    Since you are in portland, it might be worth the 3 hour drive to go up to Re-PC in Seattle.

This place carries (or did one or two years ago) a shit load of old Macs with monitors. They also have old software too. I bought a SE and a LC520 from these guys when I was in high school.

Its a good place to go because they are going to have all the hardware and adapters you need and you will also be able to turn the machine on and check it out in the store.

Vintage Mac road trip!

Not a bad idea. Maybe I'll give them a call.

Esh on