As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

48hours Short Film shot on a DSLR

HanSaganHanSagan Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Artist's Corner
Are short films still ok to be posted here for critique? They used to be. This one was shot on a canon 550D DSLR for this years 48 hours contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htJ6xaIz38s

HanSagan on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Those DSLR's are the best thing that ever happened to indy film. This is good, I enjoyed it. :^:
    I wish I could offer you more but I know fuck all about filming, scenes, scripts and so forth.
    The lighting was nice though, it always seems to be something that no-one thinks about in a budget film.

Mustang on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dude New Zealand's 48HOUR competition was one of my favorite things when I was living over there.

Nice short! I'm still not clear on what the woman's powers were (psychic but she can see into the future/past?) and I wasn't crazy about the soft filter you put in for those psychic scenes. Other than that it looks great, the acting's fine, and it had some genuinely funny parts.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I liked that a lot, but her ability to travel in time and/or spy seems a bit all over the place. At first it seemed she knew exactly where to go to catch him lying, but then in the end, she really had no idea at all where/when she appeared. I think a tad more clarity would make it even better, but the message definitely gets across anyway.

Nice cinematography and lighting throughout. Acting wasn't terrible either. Most of your cuts seemed well-timed and the pacing was pretty good. Normally there tends to be a lot more downtime in these sorts of projects, but this kept me engaged.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    :^::^:

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    HanSaganHanSagan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yes, a few people have commented that its not immediately clear that she's time traveling....unfortunately, that's one of the factors of the 48 hours contest, that its hard to tick every box story wise :)

HanSagan on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It could do with snappier cuts in my opinion, too many scenes linger after making a point, without adding anything extra. That said I did enjoy it though, well done!

Jake! on