As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Impeachment - Cheney vs Kucinich

DajianDajian Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Congressman Kucinich has filed a Resolution to impeach VP Cheney from office. He is stating that he willfully mislead and manipulated the country into starting the war with Iraq on the grounds of WMD and the link of the Iraqi government and Al-Qeada.

His supporting documents: http://kucinich.house.gov/SpotlightIssues/documents.htm

So what do you think?
Does this resolution have any legs?
Is this a political stunt to pull attention for a presidential bid?

Dajian on

• Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why doesn't the bid to impeach include George Bush?

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dajian wrote: »
    So what do you think?
    Does this reolution have any legs?

No. Just....no.

moniker on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Briareos wrote: »
    Why doesn't the bid to impeach include George Bush?

If he included Bush, it would never gain near enough support for it to pass. If it just lists Cheney, I suppose he's banking that maybe it'll win some Republicans over, but I still don't see the resolution doing much at all.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    No. Just....no.
    I am sorry... why?

I want to hear the debate on the merits of the proposal.

Read through the synopsis on Kucinich site as I listed it. Do the three articles he propose constitute impeachment. If so does his supporting documenation show that Cheney broke the law?

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I am sorry... why?

Read through the synopsis on Kucinich site as I listed it. Do the three articles he propose constitute impeachment. If so does his supporting documenation show that Cheney broke the law?
    I left it out of the OP, but the third article (3/3) on why Cheney should be impeached is his open threat of force against Iran.

He sites UN law and our constitution (though that link seems weak to me) as why open threats of force against a foriegn power without provocation is breaking the law.

Is violating UN law grounds for impeachment in the first place?

Dajian on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No. Just....no.
    I am sorry... why?

I didn't read the supporting documentation, but everything I saw in the synopsis is stuff that's been said before, and been said to be proven.

Also, whoever scanned the synopsis into PDF did a very poor job.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Could we just impeach everyone?

With guns?

I guess impeach isn't the word I'm looking for.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am sorry... why?

I left it out of the OP, but the third article (3/3) on why Cheney should be impeached is his open threat of force against Iran.

He sites UN law and our constitution (though that link seems weak to me) as why open threats of force against a foriegn power without provocation is breaking the law.

Is violating UN law grounds for impeachment in the first place?

The US does not allow for its military personnel or politicians (referring to the charges brought against the current administration in the recent past there) to be tried by the UN War Crimes Tribunal, so I don't believe its a far stretch to say UN law won't be considered or taken very seriously when it comes to an US internal impeachment matter.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    No. Just....no.
    I am sorry... why?

None of the articles listed any actual crime, let alone a high crime, that would serve as the grounds of impeachment. Unless he jaywalked on his way to an interview there are as much grounds to impeach Cheney as there are to convict Reid and Pelosi of treason. The political aspects of why it's a stupid idea aren't quite as striking, because it's Kucinich and he's...well, he's special. Just like Ted Stevens and Robert Byrd.

moniker on
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The simple fact is... it's hard to get up the ire and to frankly, well, care about an impeachment attempt this late in the game. It seems to all be political showmanship to me, since the VP isn't exactly the one who gets to make the findal decision on what to do about Iran anyways. And impeaching someone becuase they are politically unpopular, or just plain stupid, doesn't stand up well in front of a court.

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No. Just....no.
    I am sorry... why?

None of the articles listed any actual crime, let alone a high crime, that would serve as the grounds of impeachment. Unless he jaywalked on his way to an interview there are as much grounds to impeach Cheney as there are to convict Reid and Pelosi of treason. The political aspects of why it's a stupid idea aren't quite as striking, because it's Kucinich and he's...well, he's special. Just like Ted Stevens and Robert Byrd.

:x Please don't resort to name-calling. Just throwing in politicians' names for the hell of it is incredibly immature and annoying. Even though Kucinich is very naive, he's one of the most honest, well-spoken public servants I have witnessed. (I study political science so I have read about quite a few figures in my schooling). He's principled and isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes him despite people like you calling him "special." (Of which I'm not sure if you meant in the mentally disabled way)

Anyway, even though he has his heart in the right place, this will (obviously) go nowhere. I love Kucinich, but seriously, can't he work on something a little more productive? He does know how to get things done.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    So what do you think?
    Does this reolution have any legs?

No. Just....no.

Seconded. Kucinich is just playing to his base.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No, I'm pretty sure Kucinich is a complete idiot who manages to consistantly get reelected through name-recognition and the incumbent advantage alone.

I'm all about Congressman speaking up for what they honestly believe is better for the nation than just selling whatever will get them reelected. I'd just prefer that it be, you know, practical, and feel completely justified in lambasting those who propose stupid things.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I’m pretty sure we’ve been over impeachment before (though that was about Bush), and the consensus was that it’s just a waste of time at this point.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    No, I'm pretty sure Kucinich is a complete idiot who manages to consistantly get reelected through name-recognition and the incumbent advantage alone.

That was what I had meant by 'special.' Just like Byrd and Stevens, (and plenty of others) he has a lock on his constituents and feels justified in acting the fool because of it.

moniker on
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I'm all about Congressman speaking up for what they honestly believe is better for the nation than just selling whatever will get them reelected. I'd just prefer that it be, you know, practical, and feel completely justified in lambasting those who propose stupid things.

Kucinich actually defeated a two-term incumbent Republican in a huge upset with (I think) a big majority of the vote (strangely enough I can't find the figures). Plus he has a huge approval rating in his district. It's nationally that people think he's kooky. He has an 18% approval rating nationally, last time I heard. Plus, he was the youngest mayor of a major city at the time of his term.

Edit:

That was what I had meant by 'special.' Just like Byrd and Stevens, (and plenty of others) he has a lock on his constituents and feels justified in acting the fool because of it.

This sounds much closer to the truth. He feels his massive district approval justifies his lost cause.

wobblyheadedbob on