As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spyware Detection/Removal

MertzyMertzy Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
My family is not very...attuned to the instinctive "do not click this" feeling that I have towards seedy links. Can anyone point me in the direction of a free and effective removal program? All the one's I've found so far require purchasing...

THE END.
Mertzy on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    10cc's of Spybot, Stat

LewieP on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    10cc's of Spybot, Stat

Forehead wipe, Doctor Lewie?

(A more bizarre way to agree I could not have chosen)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A-Squared is great for removal. Spywareblaster and Spybot's immunize function are good for prevention.

Any plan that involves unsophisticated users with administrative privileges may in fact be doomed from the start. If limiting account privileges isn't an option, then at the very least, stick to Firefox with add-ons like NoScript and maybe even Public Fox.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Spyware Terminator is good as well as Avast.

With Avast if something is trying to put itself on the computer it warns you and lets you abort the connection, delete the cookie, etc.

I have Spyware terminator and Avast running in tandem and it has been smooth sailing.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    spybot search and destroy is a pretty shitty program, especially since major support was cut a little over a year ago. avg+adaware+highjackthis is the most effective combo your going to get for free.

Shade on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Spy sweeper used to be good, i dont know if it still is.

Also, make sure you do any removal in safe mode or you'll be doing it over.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Shade wrote: »
    spybot search and destroy is a pretty shitty program, especially since major support was cut a little over a year ago.
    Really? I just did an update, and the latest was from five days ago. What do you mean by "major support?"

Anyway, I treat spyware like I treat the AIDS: a drug cocktail of Ad-Aware and Spybot.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    spybot search and destroy is a pretty shitty program, especially since major support was cut a little over a year ago. avg+adaware+highjackthis is the most effective combo your going to get for free.

There's no realtime spyware protection in that suite. That's where the immunization functions of Spybot and Spywareblaster can help. And for removal, A-Squared catches malware that doesn't show up in Ad-Aware scans. Nothing out there is perfect, but Ad-Aware is farther off the mark.

HiJackThis is a must, but if you don't understand what you're looking at, don't make any changes. There are forums where you can post HJT logs if there are entries you don't recognize.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Depending on how bad the infestation is and how much data they have saved, it might just be easier to back it all up to an external drive, format, and re-install. I've never been able to completely clean off a system before - there's always something that not even HijackThis in safe mode can remove. Reformatting lets you stop wondering whether you got everything.

Of course, this might not be practical depending on how much time you have available, but think about it if you have too hard a time cleaning it all.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Also get the no-scripts add on for Fire Fox.

After that you won't have to worry about even getting them.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    jmillikin wrote: »
    Reformatting lets you stop wondering whether you got everything.

nuke.jpg

Tiemler on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    spybot search and destroy is a pretty shitty program, especially since major support was cut a little over a year ago.
    Really? I just did an update, and the latest was from five days ago. What do you mean by "major support?"

Anyway, I treat spyware like I treat the AIDS: a drug cocktail of Ad-Aware and Spybot.

They called it a "reorganizing of support staff". But I just may be hashing out old rumors, patrick is still running things so alls well...

Shade on