As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Monitor?

Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So my PC is a POS, and i'm trying to reformat it. However, as soon as i turn on the monitor, it flips right to power save mode. as if it's not receiving a signal. I've checked and double checked the connections, and everything looks good. The PC seems to spin up just fine.

is it just the monitor shitting the bed? or does this seem like a PC issue?

Dr. Frenchenstein on

• Options
    Red RoverRed Rover Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I had a similar problem in that my monitor would go black after 2 seconds. In my case in was a defective inverter which is apparently a cheap and easy fix if you you know electronics. However, most places that I found that even looked at monitors charged nearly as much to fix it than it was to buy a new one.

So, not sure if this is your problem... if it's truly going into standby mode then it's probably something else.

Red Rover on
    This message will self-destruct in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... !
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You really need to get an independent set of equipment to test - if you hook up another PC to the monitor, does it work? If you hook up your PC to another monitor, does it work?

without knowing which one works it could be anything - monitor, cable, graphics card, video card drivers somehow spectacularly broken (that's probably impossible), etc

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Red Rover wrote: »
    I had a similar problem in that my monitor would go black after 2 seconds. In my case in was a defective inverter which is apparently a cheap and easy fix if you you know electronics. However, most places that I found that even looked at monitors charged nearly as much to fix it than it was to buy a new one.

So, not sure if this is your problem... if it's truly going into standby mode then it's probably something else.

I'm having inverter problems too! What should I look for in my replacement inverter?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Red RoverRed Rover Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I'm having inverter problems too! What should I look for in my replacement inverter?

I wish I could help you... I just ended up buying a brand new monitor.

Red Rover on
    This message will self-destruct in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... !
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mine did this a day or 2 ago, it was my video card ( running off the internal card now, til I can replace)
    do you have another monitor port you can try ?

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll try it on my laptop, the PC is obsolete as hell, i was just looking for something to use for downloading stuff without worry of viral infection (as i do not care about the machine), but now that isohunt is castrated, i probably wont really need it at all.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Well, generally you can find a replacement inverter specific to your monitor. Doing a search for inverter and your monitor's model number will usually come up with something. You might have to find a service manual for instructions on how to open the bezel and replace the board without screwing things up.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I managed to fix my monitor. I plugged my broken monitor and a crappy replacement that I had laying around the house. I went into the n-vidia's settings (which are conviniently accessible on my task bar) and I played around with the multi monitor options to see if I got lucky and managed to keep it on long enough for me to fiddle around in.

Well, it worked, after 20 minutes of trying, I managed to get that monitor on long enough for me to reset it to the factory settings.

MagicToaster on