As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying a cheap bike is tough... Help!

CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So... I'm a poor graduate student living in NYC hoping to find a bike to commute on.

I'm thinking I should get a bike with mountain tires or hybrid tires, because I'm worried I'm just puncture the road tires way too often. Reasonable concern? I plan to ride it on sidewalks and roads, some of which aren't the best quality.

I'm looking to spend less money preferably, like $100, but I could spend a bit more possibly.

Essentially, my options seem to go like this, listed from cheap-> expensive.

1. Police auctions: most of them are buy as-is with no refund. Do you guys have experience with this stuff? Will I likely get screwed?
2. Salvation Army/Goodwill: I've never been to one, no clue how they work. I guess they wouldn't intentionally screw me but I don't know what their prices are like and the working-condition of their bikes.
3. Craigslist: I seem to be able to find bikes in the $50-70 range here, but I have no real way of telling if I'm being sold a lemon or even just basic things like tweaking the something-or-other, which I don't know how to do.
4. Cheap stores like Walmart: I think I can get some bikes in the $80-120 range. The bikes would definitely wouldn't be lemons, but I'm told the parts are absolute crap, the suspension doesn't do a thing, and they're quite untuned. I don't know if that's just snobbishness or what though, any experiences?
5. Used bike shops: Looks like the bikes are $100+ around here. I imagine the bikes would be tuned up, but I can also imagine someone doing their best to rip me off.
6. New bike shops: They'd be tuned and quality and all that jazz but I'm betting quite outside of my price range, right?

So what do you guys suggest I do?

Cognisseur on

• Options
    elmoelmo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dont buy a bike with any form of suspension, it will eat up your pedal power and it doesnt sound like your going down any hills, and go with hybrid/semi-slick tires for less resistance on pavement.

elmo on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you don't know a lot about bikes, then I'd hesitate to go with options 1,2,3. If you do go with these, take it to a bike shop to get it tuned, spokes adjusted, brakes checked etc...
    4) No. WalMart bikes are pretty much crap. They'll get you where you're going but like you said any "suspension" is pretty much for looks and they won't hold a tuneup (spokes get out of adjustment, brake calipers aren't the greatest etc...)
    5) Is probably your best bet for a quality bike at a good price (outside of getting lucky elsewhere). Make friends with the guys at the shop, do some research on bike brand names that they have.
    6) You can get a good deal on a bike new from the shop if you're willing to pick up one of last years models. On the plus side, most bike shops (well, out here anyway) offer a service package on new bike sales, replacing tires/adjusting spokes and the like as needed for the first year or so.

Really, the key is to build your own knowledge of what makes a good bike then see what is available.

see317 on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Personally I have had great luck with a run of the mill bike from wal-Mart or Canadian Tire. I know the bike enthusiats hate these bikes but well for just riding on the streests and a few gravel roads I find they have worked well.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you're going to be riding mainly street you should probably get road tires.

I'd go the used bike store and test ride stuff to get an idea of what kind/size bike to get and then buy on craigslist and change out parts that needed changing. Though if you find something you like at the bike store, jump on it, if NYC is anything like Austin used bike inventory turns over very quickly. Craigslist is nice because you're going to see a very wide variety of bikes for sale.

I knew dick about bikes when I got one used, but within the week I had replaced half the parts on the bike (some for safety, but mainly to get the fit right as I bought a frame that was a bit small for me) and know how to adjust my brakes and do basic maintenance. The guys at the local bike shop are very helpful, just be sure to pay it back by buying some parts from them.

If you're looking for what to look for in a used bike check this out.
    Frame:
    Look for a frame with little to no rust. If there is rust everywhere on the bike, it's been left outside and the rest of the components are probably no good. If there is some rust on the frame but the rest of the bike is clean you'll probably be ok.

Drivetrain:
    Make sure the gears on the back (the cassette) aren't rusted or worn down. Moderate/expensive to replace.
    Make sure the gears on the front (the chainrings) aren't rusted or worn down. Moderate/expensive to replace.
    Look at the derailers, make sure they aren't rusted and are in working condition. Moderate/expensive to replace.
    Check the cables for rust. Cheap to replace.
    Take it for a ride, make sure it shifts well through the entire range of gears (poor shifting can usually be fixed with a tune up)
    Check the chain for rust/wear. These aren't too expensive to replace.

Wheels:
    Check the rims, make sure they aren't dented or warped. If you see a wobble when spinning the wheel (watch the space between the brake pads and the rim) that just means the wheel is out of true. Easy fix.
    Check the tires for wear. Easily replaceable if worn. Moderate cost.
    Make sure the wheels spin freely with little effort. If they don't there is a problem with the hubs and they'll need to be rebuilt/replaced. Moderate cost.
    Check for bent/broken spokes. Cheap to replace but will require a wheel truing/rebuild.

Brakes:
    Check the brake calipers. See that they work well. These can be adjusted if they are a little off, but if they don't work at all you may need to replace them. Moderate expense.
    Look at the brake pads, check the wear. These are easily replaced. Cheap.
    Check the cables for rust. Cheap to replace.

Other:
    Look for rusted bolts/screws. Cheap to replace. Can be a problem if they are rusted right into the part.
    Someone posted it to the bike thread in D&D when I asked a similar question.

Edit: Also be aware that after you get a bike you're going to have to spend another $50-100 to get a helmet, bike lock and lights.

Djeet on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There's also the dump, not sure if it's the same in the states but one of the best places to pick up a reasonable bike for nothing (or near nothing) is to go to a local recycling centre after uni exams are finished.

Take it to someone who knows bikes, and worst to the worst, take it back to the dump.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Road tyres aren't necessarily delicate. Road racing tyres are, but you don't need them.

I'd be very wary of Wal-mart bikes, especially if you don't know how to do basic maintenance and repair. There is a very strong possibility that there will be something wrong with it out of the box.

Avoid rear suspension unless you're spending four figures minimum on a mountain bike. Front suspension and disc brakes are not a great idea either on a cheap bike because they tend to be of woeful quality while also being heavy and eating into the budget, lowering the quality of the rest of the parts.

I would say the best bet for getting something decent for cheap is the used bike place. Police auctions and charity shops can yield incredible bargains, but you have to know what you're looking for.

japan on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The salvation army or bike shops are your best bet. Wal-mart ones are worthless, because you'll end up spending another $300 on top of the $100 to get it working, and well, fuck you should've just gotten a brand new one at a bike store then.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So what do you guys mean by bike shop? Like, are you guys implying a place that takes in used bikes, does a full tune-up on them, and then puts them up for sale? Or like, a warehouse full of bikes where the guy shrugs regarding their quality. Cuz I feel like the latter would be much cheaper. But I don't know if that's too much of a risk.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I was thinking the former as they are invested in selling you a bike that you can ride safely. A small place, where they do a lot of maintenance on bikes, and have new bikes priced from several hundred to several thousand, and they ought to have regular turnover in used bikes that they ensure are roadworthy.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nine times out of ten, there's a local store that specializes in all things bicycle. These are where you should be going. Plus, they usually can teach you how to repair your bike, unlike the guy at Dicks or Wal-mart who probably fucked up when he assembled your derailleur.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I haven't found any place in the city where a bike store is staffed by people that don't know dick about bikes.

Anything you pick up for $100 from any store used or new is going to be a piece of shit. $200 is much more reasonable for a cheap bike.

Two stores you might want to check out if you're in the city:
    the bike shop on 3rd ave around 81th street. My google fu is failing, but they have a shit ton of used bikes and really know their shit.

Also, paragon sports by union square can be pretty expensive, but they have a decent low end selection as well.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    $200 is really more than I was looking to spend. If I only want to spend like $100 should I give up on the store idea and stick to Salvation Army / Craigslist?

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If your max is $100 you're not going to find anything at a local bike shop and you'll need to check alternate sources (thrift store or craigslist).

Though if you're serious about using it for commuting you should really spend more then $100 for a bike that's going to be putting on serious miles and which will share the road with cars/trucks. New brake pads and brake lines are going to run you $20-$30, which you'll likely have to replace on a neglected bike.

Djeet on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In that case Craigslist is definitely the only way to go.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    I plan to ride it on sidewalks and roads, some of which aren't the best quality.

Don't ride on the sidewalk. Sidewalks are for pedestrians. Go here http://www.nybc.net/ to learn more about how to ride properly.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    $200 is about par for "low end" bike.

Salvation army/craigslist for you it is.

bowen on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, if you go to Dicks/Sports Authority, 200-250 are going to be the least you will spend on a quality bike. the "special deals" where there a bike with tons of bells and whistles is super cheap, are total garbage. Your wheels will go out of true, pads will squeak, etc etc. Brands to avoid: roadmaster...um, dammit i can't remember any more of the crap ones!

You might luck out at one of those stores with a late model bike. Usually once the new models come out, the previous years get a deep discount.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    $200 is really more than I was looking to spend. If I only want to spend like $100 should I give up on the store idea and stick to Salvation Army / Craigslist?

$100 will not get you a bike that isn't a total piece of shit through anything except sheer, pure luck. Like, grandma happens to clear the garage and you walk by when she tosses a bike luck. Even then, you're almost guaranteed to get something that will need $200 in repairs a month after you get it.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    unless you have an indoor place to take this bike into at the end of your commute (both at home and at your job) then by no means spend more than $100... it'll get stolen, smashed, or stripped guaranteed... if you're unlucky, it'll happen every few months

seriously... get something that tracks straight and isn't rusty from craigslist, and replace the tires/tubes and call it a day... and the uglier you can make it, the better for its longevity

<edit> Proof:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbklkFuFk-4

it'll get stolen b/c no one cares about it being stolen, even in broad daylight, in a crowd

illig on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You'll appreciate spending the extra money, if not on future repairs (and nothing is worse than breaking down mid ride) then on weight, comfort, etc.

BAM Perfectly serviceable bike for a casual rider.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    illig wrote: »
    unless you have an indoor place to take this bike into at the end of your commute (both at home and at your job) then by no means spend more than $100... it'll get stolen, smashed, or stripped guaranteed... if you're unlucky, it'll happen every few months

seriously... get something that tracks straight and isn't rusty from craigslist, and replace the tires/tubes and call it a day... and the uglier you can make it, the better for its longevity

If that's the case it must suck that no one has anything other then a PoS bike in NYC. I know in Austin my bike is probably the cheapest thing on the rack (I spent about $250 altogether on the bike and new parts).

You should definitely store it inside unless you want to spend more time and money maintaining and replacing parts. A couple of bike hooks at home depot will set you back $2-3 and then you can store it inside even if you've a small place.

$100 or less will get you a bike fine for tooling around or to take to the pub, I wouldn't want to put serious mileage on one though.

Djeet on
  • Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    Personally I have had great luck with a run of the mill bike from wal-Mart or Canadian Tire. I know the bike enthusiats hate these bikes but well for just riding on the streests and a few gravel roads I find they have worked well.

^^^ This.

I've had my Walmart cheapo-deluxe mountain bike for the better part of 4 years now and it's stood up quite well.

krush on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm not even a bike enthusiast and I would discourage anyone from buying a bike from Wal-Mart. The one I bought had several things go wrong, including the handle coming loose, the tires being easily punctured, one inner tube exploding, and the pedals breaking.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    forgot to mention that I got my current bike off of Craigslist for $150 about two years ago, though I did have to replace the tires and inner tubes. I just looked at the ones up for sale and compared their prices to new ones of the same model to find the best deal

MrDelish on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Nine times out of ten, there's a local store that specializes in all things bicycle. These are where you should be going. Plus, they usually can teach you how to repair your bike, unlike the guy at Dicks or Wal-mart who probably fucked up when he assembled your derailleur.

These kinds of places don't generally sell cheap bikes, though. If you've only got $100 to spend, you might as well get a bike from Target (or Walmart, fine). A Target bike will get you from A to B and last you 2-3 years depending on how you take care of it.

Having said that, I don't recommend it, unless you're doing what I did - get a cheap bike from Target, and save up over the next 2 years and buy a real bike.

The reason they don't last very long, in my experience, is while the frame might be rust-resistant material, almost every other part has enough iron to be a rust magnet, and it's typically just painted, so if the low-grade paint starts to chip/crack, well, enjoy your rust. Yes, this includes the gears (which is the point at which I replaced my beater).

Delzhand on
  • Options
    SporkedSporked Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The thing about walmart type bikes, is that they generally get assembled by contract assemblers, usually with no real incentive to do a good job, a lot of the times they don't really know why the parts go together the way they do. They get paid per bike, and aren't personally liable if it's unsafe, so they just churn them out, and who gives a shit if the brakes don't work as long as they're bolted on cause no one is going to check them anyway.

So what you have is a bike, put together in a hurry by someone who doesn't really give a shit and probably doesn't know what to give a shit about. The actual hardware, while not nice by any stretch, will usually do it's job for a few years without major trouble when assembled and maintained properly, and not ridden too hard. This is usually (overwhelmingly, just shy of always) not the case when buying a dept store bike.

Sporked on