Options

Network connection issues.

FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
One day I got home and I couldn't connect to the internet at all. I soon realized that this problem was only present when going through my router, so I bought a new one.

Later I discovered that I still had a connection problem when using this new router. I didn't get any lag but sometimes my internet would "choke". This mostly happened when browsing a lot, especially when using websites that have auto-refreshing features like integrated chat. Internet chokes for a minute or so, no new connections can be made. Then everything returns to normal. Wasn't too big a deal to me and i'm lazy so I never bothered trying to look for the problem.

Now I just moved in with my gf. My PC and her Mac on the network. This morning while she was browsing her girly facebook games on her Mac, my PC started choking repeatedly, while her connections didn't seem to be too affected. Maybe a little at some point but it's not enough to confirm she suffers from this as much as I am.

Now that I'm typing this I also remember another weird issue I had a long time ago: On this computer I never managed to install my Nintendo usb WiFi dongle (connected on the pc directly of course). It would go through most of the installation process then at the end would give me a connection error. Every single time.

I'm thinking this isn't a simple faulty router problem, but I have no idea how to troubleshoot this. Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

PSN: PatParadize
Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
Steam Friend code: 45386507
Fireflash on

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Things to check:

- Overheating transformer on the router
    - Overheating router (not enough breathing space)
    - Crappy DNS server (try OpenDNS and Google's DNS servers)

What kind of net connection do you have? ADSL? Cable?

theSquid on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How up-to-date are your drivers? Check for newer chipset and network card drivers and see if that helps.

If you replaced the router and still had problems, and your girlfriend isn't experiencing problems on the same network, then it's your computer and not the router.

Mugsley on