As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MotW 6-30-10: We've already been talking a lot about Wonder Woman #600

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Graphic Violence
Its the end of June. Tons of releases this week. What was good? I had 6 books in my stack but I've only read 1 of them so far, that being Wonder Woman #600.

There were a lot of great moments in that book. The Gail Simone story was great, and I'm very sad now that she's off the book. The story with WW and Power Girl was also a nice, light-hearted story.

And my personal favorite part of the book was Francis Manapul's cover pin-up inside the issue. Thanks go to Jkylefulton for supplying the image:
2zdqfcy.jpg

So what else was great this week?

Lucascraft on

• Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The origin of Dexter the Red Lantern cat was actually a sad touching story. "I good kitty"

smokmnky on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    smokmnky wrote: »
    The origin of Dexter the Red Lantern cat was actually a sad touching story. "I good kitty"

So... Dexter the Red Lantern cat is the cat from We3?

It all makes sense.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I only got one thing today, the sixth and potentially last Nova trade, and so far it's been pretty good.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »
    smokmnky wrote: »

So... Dexter the Red Lantern cat is the cat from We3?

It all makes sense.

Man I can barely hear We3 mentioned without getting teary eyed.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Doomwar #5, super sexy, hella hot, streets ahead, Deadpool Style:

dw5b.jpg

dw5c.jpg

dw5d.jpg

Hello Kitty Deadpool, bonzai!

he makes it through the portal but basically falls apart, and spends twenty minutes healing himself, then someone shows up who took Wade's handicap parking spot:

dw5e.jpg

And Shuri hurts Doom badly by being able to siphon off all of Doom's money, one hundred billion euro's worth of cash flow.

Guys, please buy the book and trade and hardcover, this is the best Marvel book being published. I sound like a broken record but it's the honest to God truth.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That Hello Kitty deadpool is indead great.

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I bought Mayberry's "Power" Black Panther trade on a whim and I thought it was great. I might just get the single issues of Doom War since it seems I'll have to wait till Thanksgiving for the collected edition.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wow, Deadpool is getting more and more legit every day. I may have to pick that up.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Broodpool looked neat as well.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Justice society of America.
    only kidding, still gay!

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I only got one thing today, the sixth and potentially last Nova trade, and so far it's been pretty good.

Explain immediately!!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Manapul's art in Flash #3 is awesome.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nova #36 was the last issue before it went on hiatus for Thanos Imperative (Guradians of the Galaxy stopped with #25).

Marvel say the cosmic books will return, but speculation is either as relaunched $4 titles that Marvel has done in the past with other books, or as some cosmic anthology title.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Virral wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Explain immediately!!

Currently both Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy are on hiatus while Thanos Imperitve is being published. Now I think DnA said both books are coming back after TI but I could be mistaken.

Personally I think they should just put out one 4 dollar cosmic book with both Nova and GotG stories featured after TI ends.

Edit: What Texiken said.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    mugginns wrote: »
    Manapul's art in Flash #3 is awesome.

Manapul's art is always awesome. He's easily one of my favorites.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah man, Dex-Starr backstory was easily my MOTW, though Doomwar continues to bring it.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My moment of the week was reading (and subsequently buying) Steve Pugh's "Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead"

The dialogue is too exposition-heavy, but the setting is interesting and the art is great. Plus it has the line:

"Nuke them alphabetically. I think it displays a feeling of casual contempt."

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I throw in my vote for GL as well . . .
    But mainly for the fact that Lobo has a red power ring now!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Action Comics 890 was just awesome the entire time.

Also, I am certain there was a joke in Green Lantern 55 making fun of that Red Arrow series.

Tairu on
  • Options
    MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Johns turned Ruffles the Ragecat into the textbook definition of The Woobie. And the best thing is, it works.

Part of me thinks being a Red Lantern is a temporary thing, in some cases, now. Once he finds the guy who killed his owner, will it still be full of rage?

MisterBibs on

kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MisterBibs wrote: »
    Johns turned Ruffles the Ragecat into the textbook definition of The Woobie. And the best thing is, it works.

Part of me thinks being a Red Lantern is a temporary thing, in some cases, now. Once he finds the guy who killed his owner, will it still be full of rage?

Doesn't the ring make them angry?

Tairu on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    only kidding, still gay!

The scene, courtesy of scans_daily. Love Alan's face.
    58203583.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wonder Woman leaves marks on enemies now?
    There's a Tramp Stamp joke here I'm too tired to make properly.

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wonder Woman leaves marks on enemies now?
    There's a Tramp Stamp joke here I'm too tired to make properly.

I think the NPH joke from Harold and Kumar is more appropriate here.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    only kidding, still gay!

The scene, courtesy of scans_daily. Love Alan's face.
    58203583.jpg

That scene would not have worked with a lesser artist.

Lux on
  • Options
    MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tairu wrote: »
    MisterBibs wrote: »

Doesn't the ring make them angry?

Other way around, being angry gets the ring's attention.

Someone on s_d explained it fairly well: a Red Ring comes to you at a point where you're filled to the brim with rage. All a red ring does is let the person maintain that level of rage.

MisterBibs on

kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wonder Woman was my MotW. More specifically, Cassandra Cain in the right bottom of six panels in the Power Girl section. Even though she acts nothing like the Batgirl we know and love, and her appearance is entirely meaningless and inconsequential, it's still nice to see her again in a comic book.

If only it wasn't retconned a few pages later.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    JLA #46:

jla46a.jpg

All I could think about was that ATHF episode where Shake stole Frylock's gem and sold it to a pawn shop.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wait. Is that Alan Scott as Paralax? They doing another JLA/JSA crossover?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't think that's Parallax armor, but rather the Kingdom Come suit.

And Parallax is currently chained up.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SO, what is the overall opinion on JLA 46, then?

Also, did anyone grab Batman Beyond? What is the big reveal at the end of the issue that the writer said would blow minds?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    JLA 46 was good I thought, it's better than Robinson's earlier issues. There's a real bad backup story featuring Cyborg and Red Tornado though, the art is really really 90's.

It's set up to be a big story, nice character moments (Supergirl knowing Dick is Batman despite him trying to act like Bruce, Congorilla talking with Jesse Quick), and I'm interested in Alan being controlled by the Star Heart, and the art is good as always. I recommend it.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    SO, what is the overall opinion on JLA 46, then?

Also, did anyone grab Batman Beyond? What is the big reveal at the end of the issue that the writer said would blow minds?

The reveal
    Uh, I guess it was that the arc is called Hush Beyond, and the villain is ostensibly a new version of Hush. Can't be the original, obviously, since he's got the bandaged look rather than Bruce-face. This Hush seems to be intent on murdering former villains to attract Batman's attention, starting with Signal-Man followed by an abortive attempt to kill the insane Hatter.

We also get cameos from Micron and an elderly Amanda Waller, the latter being a warden at some kind of future jail for especially dangerous individuals.

Mr. Wayne is never explicitly referred to as Bruce either, though references to Justice League membership and an annual viewing of the Zorro film suggest he is. Nonetheless, it's still possible he's Damian, and Damian would certainly fit better given the placement of #666 between the present and Beyond within continuity.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I hate that villain.

I am not sure if I would like that arc, although I'll get the trade/hardcover if it comes with levitz's story and gets good buzz.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's too early to tell whether or not it'll be good, but I was definitely underwhelmed by the choice of villain. I liked how Batman Beyond created its own villains rather than merely revisiting or updating the normal Rogue's Gallery, so the familiar face wasn't welcome, especially considering who it was. While I was admittedly curious about what happened to Joker and Luthor, this guy could have just as well languished in future obscurity.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't remember who it was that was talking about Blacksad but I just want to thank them.

I found a hardcover in the bookstore today and it is amazing.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Holy man, I don't know when the Invincible Iron Man Annual came out but I just read it and holy jeez.

It's the Mandarin as Kim Jong Il kidnapping a filmmaker and forcing him to make a movie of his life story. Telling it from the perspective of a completely powerless person makes the Mandarin so much more terrifying.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.