Options

Need some LAN games

rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
Hey guys, I seem to recall there being a huge list of free or inexpensive LAN games but I can't find it. My brother wants to play AoE2 but I'm getting tired of it so we need some alternatives. Are there any good downloadable LAN games?

Soldat is a no go by the way.

rayofash on

• Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU
    sees thread title
    (thinking..."Ooh! I'll come recommend Soldat!")
    /me reads OP

:(

Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    sees thread title
    /me reads OP

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    /me sees thread title
    /me reads OP

I know. I know. :(

rayofash on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can't really think of any free ones right now, unless you want something like that Tron lightcycle game (can't remember its name).

Most RTS's are ideal for LAN. I'd also recommend Bionic Commando since few people play that but it's actually got a really awesome deathmatch mode once you've got the swing mechanics down.

subedii on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Armagetron, Warsow, and TA Spring are good to look at.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alien Swarm is free and just came out.
    subedii wrote: »
    I'd also recommend Bionic Commando since few people play that but it's actually got a really awesome deathmatch mode once you've got the swing mechanics down.

I would never have thought about that, but yeah Bionic Commando has some pretty good multiplayer. I really wish I had people to play it with or that the terrible matchmaking didn't make it nearly impossible to get into an online game.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Could you put a price on "inexpensive"? Me and some friends have been having a lot of fun with Demigod recently, though it might be more than you're willing to spend.

Several of the old C&C games were released for free a while back, so you could always try those. I personally don't like the series (except the first two) but you might get some fun out of it.

Quake Matt on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does your LAN have internet access? If so, you could always get up and running with Quake Live.

Tribes 2 is free, but it's not as fun without a decent sized group. Is it just you and your brother or do you have other machines?

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Even if you can't get Quake Live, someone's gotta have a copy of Quake 3 they could share. Or Warsow, which is also a ton of fun if you're at all familiar with the mechanics. Quake 3 also has a lot of great mods.

Warcraft 3 and Starcraft are both crowd pleasing, and also have a nearly unlimited supply of great custom maps to play, both cooperative and competitive.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I second Alien Swarm. It's free, it's great for coop, and it only needs 4 people.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Problem is our coms are super old (I'm running a Celeron HP Pavilion a705w cuz my main com died) so we wouldn't be able to run Alien Swarm or Demigod (we prefer WC3 over Demigod anyways). I found my old copy of Homeworld 2 so we're looking into that right now. I also remembered OpenTTD and FreeCiv exists.

rayofash on
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dawn of War: Dark Crusade ran quite nicely on my 1.8 ghz duel core and integrated graphics Dell D630 laptop.
    It was also a super fun lan game, espcially when someone had a baneblade going.

rRootagea on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I had no idea there was a free, multiplayer version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe around. Now I want to trick some friends into playing it with me.

Now if only I could get them to play Railroad Tycoon with me.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    I had no idea there was a free, multiplayer version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe around. Now I want to trick some friends into playing it with me.

Me and my bro just spent the past 4 or 5 hours playing OpenTTD. I suffered some horrible train crashes in the beginning and lost footing severely in the race to grab the coal mines :( . I also didn't realize I could take out so many loans so I left the bank alone and tried to raise my own funds in the beginning, which was a really bad idea.

So here I am 5 hours later and my companies value is worth $2, my bro bought 75% of the stocks in my company, and he's worth over $2,000,000. He uses all his money to deform the terrain making a huge mountain near my starting town and relocates his headquarters there. He then uses the rest to carve his initials in the lake.

I'm really bad at this game :x
    rRootagea wrote: »
    Dawn of War: Dark Crusade ran quite nicely on my 1.8 ghz duel core and integrated graphics Dell D630 laptop.
    It was also a super fun lan game, espcially when someone had a baneblade going.

According to Can You Run This I wouldn't be able to run it :(. My com only has 256 megs of RAM. I tried putting in another stick in but apparently the hardware is designed not to be tempered with cuz' it wont turn on after I put it in. It's the exact same kind of RAM and I took from another HP Pavilion a705w.

Edit: Just tried Homeworld 2, it runs really slow :(.

rayofash on
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Warcraft 3 mods are all you need for a good lan party.

hadoken on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    rayofash wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »

Me and my bro just spent the past 4 or 5 hours playing OpenTTD. I suffered some horrible train crashes in the beginning and lost footing severely in the race to grab the coal mines :( . I also didn't realize I could take out so many loans so I left the bank alone and tried to raise my own funds in the beginning, which was a really bad idea.

So here I am 5 hours later and my companies value is worth $2, my bro bought 75% of the stocks in my company, and he's worth over $2,000,000. He uses all his money to deform the terrain making a huge mountain near my starting town and relocates his headquarters there. He then uses the rest to carve his initials in the lake.

I'm really bad at this game :x

I can only imagine the fun to be had in buying out friend's stocks and then liquidating them, or monopolizing a resource they need and refusing to share.

Capitalism is good times.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mduel is amazing, if single-computer multiplayer is in the cards.

http://mduel2k5.spadgos.com/mduel96/

It used to be shareware but the code owner made it freeware. It's basically smash bros. as a DOS game. There seems to be a fanmade remake of the game available there too, which might be worth trying out.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Not a LAN game, but I'm a big fan of Frozen Synapse, and it should be able to run on really low end systems.

It's basically a turn based strategy game where you and your opponent plan out 5 second stretches of activity. Once you've both primed your moves, the results play out in real time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQQt4qc79Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXbsSLeINhg

It's currently in beta, but you can get into it by pre-ordering. The bonus is that when you pre-order one copy you get a second free that you can give to someone else.

subedii on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What about old stuff like Quake Shareware? Sure you only get the first episode but that's more than enough for some deathmatchy fun.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A Worms game? Or some other game in that vein. Can be lots of fun when you're in the same room as your opponents so you can point/laugh and yell at them, depending on how things are going.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rise of nations? or if you have internet you could try http://gunboundclassic.com/

rRootagea on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mduel is amazing, if single-computer multiplayer is in the cards.

http://mduel2k5.spadgos.com/mduel96/

It used to be shareware but the code owner made it freeware. It's basically smash bros. as a DOS game. There seems to be a fanmade remake of the game available there too, which might be worth trying out.

Oh wow I remember playing this so many years ago.
    Grislo wrote: »
    A Worms game? Or some other game in that vein. Can be lots of fun when you're in the same room as your opponents so you can point/laugh and yell at them, depending on how things are going.
    rRootagea wrote: »
    Rise of nations? or if you have internet you could try http://gunboundclassic.com/

We might try that today. We've always had problems with Worms multiplayer in the past, but the clients have gotten massive updates regularly so it may work.

Edit: I'm going to check and see if RoN will run on my computer. I'd love to play that multiplayer, I've never gotten to before.
    subedii wrote: »
    Not a LAN game, but I'm a big fan of Frozen Synapse, and it should be able to run on really low end systems.

It's basically a turn based strategy game where you and your opponent plan out 5 second stretches of activity. Once you've both primed your moves, the results play out in real time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQQt4qc79Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXbsSLeINhg

It's currently in beta, but you can get into it by pre-ordering. The bonus is that when you pre-order one copy you get a second free that you can give to someone else.

I love that style of gameplay, I'll check it out. I have some Combat Mission games that this makes me wanna bring out as well.

rayofash on
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rune is awesome if you can find it. I have no idea if it is digitally available anywhere.

Mechwarrior 4 is great fun, and completely free.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rune is awesome if you can find it. I have no idea if it is digitally available anywhere.

We've been playing netmech and we do actually have a copy of Rune :) . Mechwarrior 4 is free?

rayofash on
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

We've been playing netmech and we do actually have a copy of Rune :) . Mechwarrior 4 is free?

Yep, Mechwarror 4: Mercenaries at least. Download here: http://mtxgear.mektek.net/MW4/http://mtxgear.mektek.net/MW4/

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    League of Legends is fun if you've got an internet connection at your LAN. It has reasonably low system requirements (runs smoothly at 1280x800 on my integrated graphics card), but I'm not sure how well it would cope with only 256 mb ram.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic

Am I seeing things right? Are these all free?

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic

Am I seeing things right? Are these all free?

They are. Basically they were released as free over time to act as advertising for upcoming games in the series.

subedii on