Options

Harddrive Troubles

ShortForeskinShortForeskin Registered User regular
Hey folks hope you can help with this little problem I have with my hard drive.

I'm running XP Pro, Service Pack 2 (or 3, I can't remember). My hard drive is Maxtor 300g, Model # 6L300S0

Ok so essentially it's worked fine until one day while transferring files to it the computer lags a bunch. It then has a problem reading the disk. I restart and while booting up my computer gives me the message "There seems to be an error with your disk, checking for consistency" And does a disk check. The disk check finds a number of "File record ### is unreadable" and attempts to fix them.

My hard drive is inaccessible but the computer recognizes that it is there. This is my back up hard drive and not my boot drive so all of my useful information (travel photos, pr0n, etc) is on it. I'm mostly concerned with recovering the data and then I can format it and see if there's a hard ware problem. If you have any suggestions on how to recover the data (besides the 80$ the store wants) that would be wonderful.

Thanks a bundle for your help and I'll let you know how it goes.

Will

ShortForeskin on

• Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just so i'm correct, you cannot read the disk but the computer recognises it is there correct?

If so then your best bet is probably getdatack, i'm assuming your drive was formatted to NTFS. If so download the NTFS demo version and see if it can find anything. It's the best file recovery program out there, downside is that it costs $79 USD.

There might be other software out there. (that's free)

Also, if it's just the partition screwed up you could try repairing it with PTDD.

A quick google turned up this, I've never used it though. Looks free.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Cool thanks for the tips. I'll check them out once I get internet going on my PC. Again, I'll let you know what works.

Yes you are correct that my computer recognizes that the disk is there, it just can't access it.

ShortForeskin on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You call this a backup drive, yet it sounds like this might be the only copy of at least some of the data stored on it. One copy is not a backup (for this very reason)! :)

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    RBach wrote: »
    You call this a backup drive, yet it sounds like this might be the only copy of at least some of the data stored on it. One copy is not a backup (for this very reason)! :)

Haha true, I guess I've mislabeled it. It's more of a storage drive rather than a boot drive. I need to invest in some DVDs...

ShortForeskin on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ok so I tried GetDataBack and got the error "I/O Error 'Unknown Error (23)' reading sector ###" if I continue with the scan my computer shuts off.

I googled this and found this thread: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1409498&page=1 And tried Uneraser and essentially the same thing happened. About the same time into the scan my computer will just shut off. Also tried the DOS version but just get the message "Data error <bad CRC> error reading drive E" which is the drive I'm trying to fix.

Just tried Recuva and the computer crashed about 26% of the way through the scan. This is roughly the same spot where all of the programs get to before my computer crashes..

Any ideas?

ShortForeskin on