As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is Nvidia 3D worth it?

Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
As a long term pet project I am considering making my PC 3D and fancy. But before I undergo the effort, I just want to know if it wil be worth the time/money. So does anyone here have this fancy 3D stuff? If so, how good/bad is it? And should I buy it?

Pablo the Penguin on

• Options
    IconoclysmIconoclysm Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is really, totally a YMMV kind of deal.
    I ran games with eDimension 3d LCD glasses a few years back and it was a headache, literally.
    The glasses were cheap enough (About $50), but there are plenty of problems with individual game incompatibilities, and overall, the effect wasn't worth it.
    It may have been my eyes at fault, but the 3d effect varied from um-noticeable to headache inducing after a few mins viewing (there was a slider in the 3d driver control panel that allows adjustment of the stereo separation from little to lots, and finding a happy medium proved impossible)
    2d elements in games ( like huds/maps/text boxes etc) don't get 3d treatment and can produce weird artifacts even in games that are claimed to be 3d compatible.

Oh and the glasses only worked worth a damn on a BIG CRT monitor that could output 120hz refresh rates or better.

It may be all solved now, but I'd wait or try and get a hands on demo if I were you.

Good luck with it though, it has the potential to be fun, I'm just not convinced its quite there yet.

Iconoclysm on
    t=54717
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Compatibility is pretty good for nvidia, some studios are actually even spending the time to make sure that their games work especially well with it, like Batman or JC2.

That said, be aware that it's at the minimum like $400 for the monitor and glasses, and that it literally cuts your framerates in half

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As a long term pet project I am considering making my PC 3D and fancy. But before I undergo the effort, I just want to know if it wil be worth the time/money. So does anyone here have this fancy 3D stuff? If so, how good/bad is it? And should I buy it?

Always pop in these threads. My take on it is if you're going to be playing FPS games/WoW it's fun in bursts. It's not something you're always gonna have on, because your eyes will hate you. The 3D effect varies from game to game, but the Support for this newest revision of 3D Technology is pretty nice, as new games will constantly have the drivers tweaked to support games.

Remember that you need to render games in 3D practically twice, so you need a beast of a machine if you want all the details on in 3d. L4D2 works perfect on max settings in 3d with my current setup:

2 ghz Core 2 Duo
    4 gigs of ram
    Geforce 260 GTX

But newer games, or Crysis will need to be tuned down a decent bit to enjoy 3d. Obviously a newer computer will do better.

If you have a bluray drive on your computer you can do the whole 3d movie thing. http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-blu-ray.html

There are some 3d video demos here. http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-movies.html

Here is the list of games and their 'rating' as far as 3d goes. http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-games.html

Excellent rated games general have very few or no elements that don't blend well with 3d, while the lower you go the more crap you get that doesn't work in 3d (UI, Skys, water). Best games that have worked for me are L4D, WoW, Painkiller, Crysis.

For me it was worth getting it just to have zombies run down a hallway at me in full 3d. Before I blew them up.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the input! Sounds like in the far future it will be worth it for me. Which is what I was planning in the first place. So, fun times!

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alternatively, if you don't mind a decrease in quality of the 3D, you can buy a pair of red/cyan glasses for $1. Since Nvidia's drivers support that too.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alternatively, if you don't mind a decrease in quality of the 3D, you can buy a pair of red/cyan glasses for $1. Since Nvidia's drivers support that too.

Do you still need to buy anything else? Or do you just download some drivers and you're all set? This seems like it would be cool for a while.

E: Actually this wouldn't work for me because I have an ATI card. Damn.

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    AzadIsCool wrote: »
    Do you still need to buy anything else? Or do you just download some drivers and you're all set? This seems like it would be cool for a while.
    You don't need to purchase anything extra (well, you'd need to purchase an Nvidia card, but I digress). You just need to install the 3D Vision drivers they provide. Run through the 3D Vision setup and choose "3D Discover" rather than "3D Vision." Follow the directions that show up and you're good to go.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wow, I'll try this on my friend's laptop. We can connect it to his 120Hz tv and try it out.

Red/cyan is reportedly bad though, my only memories of it are from Spy Kids 3D years ago, so I can't remember how bad it is.

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    AzadIsCool wrote: »
    Red/cyan is reportedly bad though, my only memories of it are from Spy Kids 3D years ago, so I can't remember how bad it is.
    It's not great, but A $1 pair of glasses versus $200 for a 3D vision kit (without the monitor), you get what you pay for. And I really don't like shutter glasses. I'd really like for 3D Vision to use the polarization 3D method instead. Glasses shouldn't need a battery.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As someone who has the Asus 3D monitor and the Nvision glasses, I can say that the 3D is quite an interesting experience. For the games that take advantage of the feature it looks spectacular. Metro 2033 goes from creepy to 'ohgodgiantratbabythinginmyfaaaace' and even WoW does it proud, with the UI popping out and the distance seeming 'deep'. Though on some games where they didn't program for it, it can vary in it's success. Usually better than worse, but still some games don't really take to the whole 3D thing.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think 3D is worth it until televisions and monitors are doing what the 3DS is doing now - when glasses are removed out of the equation altogether. Until then it's an interesting and exciting technology, but I wouldn't go for it myself just yet. My brother just told me he spent €1600 ($2060) on a 3D 46" Samsung, with four glasses. How foolish is that purchase going to be when televisions start offering 3D without the glasses? How long a life will that television have as a 3D display?

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you can wait 4 years or so to dive in to glasses-less 3d then that's the way to go, however I'm jumping on the 3d bandwagon and debating between the Panasonic Plasma offerings or the slightly cheaper Samsung LCD. I'm aware of the pit falls and expenses and I've done plenty of research in to what's needed and am still going to dive right in this early on.

I've had chance to use a couple of 3d set ups, one with the PS3 and one using the Nvidia offering (playing Batman and some racing game) and I absolutely loved them. Being a horror fan there's a whole wealth of old field sequential films waiting for me to watch even before this years blurays hit the shelves.

However it's not the right time if you're wanting a painless 3d experience, I'm sure I'll meet many headaches trying to get everything set up in 3d, but that's the kind of thing I enjoy.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TVs will probably be a while for glasses-less 3d, because of the highly variable viewing angle and distance, but monitors? Fairly static angle and distance

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If you ask me, glass-less 3D will never happen. The only way we'll see it is through "hologram" technology. Glass-less 3D works for the 3DS, but the sweet spot would be a pain for a TV for multiple viewers.

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's already bad in the cinema, with glasses. Be anywhere but the centre of the theatre and it's out of focus, blurry and headache-inducing. I'm sure they'll find a way to overcome the multiple viewing angles problem.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rohan wrote: »
    It's already bad in the cinema, with glasses. Be anywhere but the centre of the theatre and it's out of focus, blurry and headache-inducing. I'm sure they'll find a way to overcome the multiple viewing angles problem.

You've had some pretty dodgy experiences then, I've sat all over the place in the cinema and haven't had a problem with 3d. It depends (iirc) if circular or linear polorisation is used. If circular is used then the angle really shouldn't be an issue.

But yeah, I agree that I really can't see affordable glasses-less 3d tv screens (monitors maybe, as has been pointed out you only generally have one person looking at it, but if that's the case do you really mind wearing glasses whilst being sat on your own?) coming out for quite a number of years. The technology is just crazy expensive.

I don't quite have the issue others do with wearing the glasses, I already sit in my living room either clutching a joypad, swinging a wii-mote around or clutching a replica steering wheel. Having to wear something on my head really isn't too much of an effort.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Rohan wrote: »

You've had some pretty dodgy experiences then, I've sat all over the place in the cinema and haven't had a problem with 3d. It depends (iirc) if circular or linear polorisation is used. If circular is used then the angle really shouldn't be an issue.

Rohan might only be familiar with the IMAX 3D, which does use linear polarization. It's got a pretty narrow sweet spot in terms of seating in the theatre, and isn't very tolerant of things like head tilt. ReadD uses circular polarization, and is greatly more forgiving of viewing angle.

Some people who have particular vision problems (amblyopia, strabismus, etc.) will just have problems with 3D in general.

darkgrue on