As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad idea or Baddest idea: PAX Speed Dating

Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
I apologize in advance if this thread is stupid. I just got home, it's very late, and I have not yet lapsed into my post-PAX own-bed coma.

A lot of my friends were chuckling about all the missed connections posts here, and while some of them are funny or creepy I feel a bit bad making fun of people posting these. Nerds are awkward and dating is hard for everyone. Perhaps we could channel this angst into something less creepy?

I went to a speed dating thing once, essentially on a dare. It wasn't terrible, but the main problem was that everyone there was very normal and a bit boring. I mentioned games to all of them and the only response I got was from the guy who plays Medal of Honor and GTA and the guy who used to play D&D ten years ago. Comics and science fiction/fantasy got even less response. I liked the idea of having these 5-10 minute conversations with a lot of people... but all the people were not my type. Speed dating seems like it'd remove a lot of the creepy or awkward problems: you can go up and talk with someone without worrying about bothering them, and at the end of the session you mark your little card with who you'd want to see again instead of having to ask them out right there. You're actually specifically disallowed from asking someone on a date directly or pressuring them for their contact info. If two people say they'd like to hang out again the organizer emails them both and they can get in contact. It makes resolution/rejection a lot less painful.

There are still a lot of potential negatives: there's the whole "PAX isn't your personal dating service" idea which I rather like, and introducing a tangential dating-based event might mess with that. Having a bad night at speed dating might also be a bummer and I'd hate to hold an event that would make PAX less enjoyable for anyone. Lastly, the gender ratio being what it is, it's unlikely we'd be able to accept all the signups we might get: speed dating sites actually often end up turning guys away, and I'm sure that would be even more necessary at PAX.

I've considered the possibility of doing speed dating around/in connection to conventions for a while. Most anime cons have an age problem, and a lot of gaming cons actually have a worse gender ratio than PAX. The PAX crowd is largely made up of grown-ups who have money and at least some degree of maturity. I'm not saying I would run or attend a speed-dating thing that happened at or near PAX. The idea of it just popped into my head, and I'm too sleep-deprived to determine whether or not it's terrible. Thoughts?

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
Cultural Geek Girl on

• Options
    OmniscientlyMeOmniscientlyMe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Unfortunately, do to the horrendous gender ratio issue, I think it's an unrealizable idea. As much as I would like to find a girl with similar interests. Fact is, the gender ratio among the singles is far worse than the ratio among attendees as a whole, since the vast majority of women at PAX are there with or already have a significant other.

OmniscientlyMe on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At Sakura-Con they do a speed dating thing on both Friday and Saturday nights and while there is a gender imbalance, it seems to go pretty well for everyone participating. Even my friend who did it last year and didn't get any contact info afterward felt it gave him more confidence by making him realize how shy and awkward he was in conversation.

I guess my opinion on this one falls in the, "I think it could only help," category.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Being in the same state of mind, I cannot say for sure whether or not it's an awesome idea, but here's something I've noticed that may impact it.

The majority of females that I run into at PAX are either desperately clinging to their boyfriend's arm like a vise, or tugging him along like a reluctant puppy from booth to booth. From what I've seen (and I don't claim to have seen it all, by any means), not a lot of single females attend PAX. Perhaps it's the nerd stereotype, or fear of getting constantly hit on, I couldn't say. End result, though, is that this would make recruiting somewhat more difficult.

Frankly I think it'd be great fun to chat for five minutes about Settlers, Star Trek, and SOCOM with a member of the opposite sex who had a fair chance of knowing what I'm talking about, just not sure the gender ratio'll let me.

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    While the gender divide is pretty large, there are single people of both genders at PAX that I think would enjoy something like this. First of all, it is fun to meet people and have a short conversation with them (line buddies amirite?). Second, there is no pressure for this to become anything more than meeting someone, which if it does become a part of PAX is something that should be made clear from the get-go. You get contact info and the individual decides where it goes from there.

I mean, there is more men than women who attend the convention, so one can reasonably expect the ratio to carry through to most events. However, I believe there are ways to overcome that gap, and as such it isn't impossible.

However, it does require space and people monitoring it, and as such it might not be something that PAX will want to officially add to its already large list of events.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really don't think that this is necessary or desirable:

1.) PAX is not a dating service.
    2.) There are already ample opportunities for single PAXgoers to meet each other and slink off back to hotel rooms. (I kid, I kid.) (No I don't.) (Yes I do.) (Where's my pancake?) Seriously though, go down to the tabletop rooms or go out to some of the evening events, you'll meet LOADS of people :)
    3.) The majority of people you meet will not be local to you year-round, and you might be better to look at your local meetups/game groups to find people with shared interests.
    4.) PAX is not a dating service.

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think it would be a better idea to include a few paragraphs in the PAX program (on the rules page) reminding people that women attending PAX are there to have fun, and guys should make an effort not to be creeps.

I remember one time during this past weekend when I walked into the convention center and there was a female cosplayer there wearing a skirt so short that part of her ass was showing. Crowded around her were several guys taking photos, two of whom approached her to ask which hotel she was in, and whether or not she had a spare room key. Jesus Christ...

Nijhazer on
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This could work, but only if it's called PAX: teh sexes in the program. I kid, I kid.

Axon on
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    3.) The majority of people you meet will not be local to you year-round, and you might be better to look at your local meetups/game groups to find people with shared interests.

Biggest reason I don't think it's feasible, unless the organizers split the event by place of residence. Then you have even less of a pool to work with.

I don't really get the whole "pax isn't a dating service" thing in this context. No one would be forcing single women to go to it. If they wanted to chat with guys in this setting, that's their choice. This is nowhere near the same as people creeping on cosplayers or the like.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    ChibipandoraChibipandora Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If speed dating went well, then that would be nice. If speed dating went poorly, say with stalking, rude comments, bad ratios, shallow behavior, etc; it would be very bad for participant's over-all-fun. So at best it would be cool, but at worst it could be absolutely horrible. Letting a bunch of guys who have a good idea where I'll be for the next few days know I'm single makes me feel a bit uneasy about the safety factor.

Still, it felt problematic to be single at PAX this year, so I'm glad the idea is being brought up. Seriously, couples, chill with the High School Musical reenactment. Also, ladies in relationships, I don't -care- what your boyfriend thinks when I ask your opinion on something. And babies? Really?

Chibipandora on
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If speed dating went well, then that would be nice. If speed dating went poorly, say with stalking, rude comments, bad ratios, shallow behavior, etc; it would be very bad for participant's over-all-fun. So at best it would be cool, but at worst it could be absolutely horrible. Letting a bunch of guys who have a good idea where I'll be for the next few days know I'm single makes me feel a bit uneasy about the safety factor.

Still, it felt problematic to be single at PAX this year, so I'm glad the idea is being brought up. Seriously, couples, chill with the High School Musical reenactment. Also, ladies in relationships, I don't -care- what your boyfriend thinks when I ask your opinion on something. And babies? Really?

LOL. I thought the babies were cute!

Yeah, it really could be a disaster if it went bad. As a guy, the safety factor never even popped into my head - that's just not something I have to really worry about. However, it's a sobering concern for the ladies. I think people are just better off striking up a convo while on line or whatever. I met some very cute women at PAX and I probably could have flirted a bit if I wanted to take the conversation there.

Axon on
  • Options
    ChibipandoraChibipandora Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Axon wrote: »

Yeah, it really could be a disaster if it went bad. As a guy, the safety factor never even popped into my head - that's just not something I have to really worry about. However, it's a sobering concern for the ladies. I think people are just better off striking up a convo while on line or whatever. I met some very cute women at PAX and I probably could have flirted a bit if I wanted to take the conversation there.

They were and many of the parents were really awesome too, but ... still, it felt kind of weird. Those kids are going to grow up to be hardcore. o_O

Chibipandora on
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Axon wrote: »

They were and many of the parents were really awesome too, but ... still, it felt kind of weird. Those kids are going to grow up to be hardcore. o_O

I saw a guy with a baby/toddler on his back in a carrier wearing a yoda hat. It was freaking awesome.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The majority of females that I run into at PAX are either desperately clinging to their boyfriend's arm like a vise, or tugging him along like a reluctant puppy from booth to booth. From what I've seen (and I don't claim to have seen it all, by any means), not a lot of single females attend PAX.

We must have been looking in different directions.

Signed, one of the many single ladies who was at PAX and spent a lot of time wandering around the Tabletop area looking for people to play games with, but didn't get invited in to many. My goal of playing Settlers of Catan for the first time was not realized.

MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • Options
    VenerableMonsterVenerableMonster Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'ma go with baddest idea. No offense, but PAX is about the awesome community and just having fun. I realize maybe it's a golden opportunity to meet people of similar interests, so simply use it for that. To meet people. I don't understand why everything needs to be boiled down to something like a PAX speed dating service. But that's just my angry old person opinion. Feel free to ignore me.

VenerableMonster on
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm a single lady that always attends PAX with teh boyz. That's just how it is. Not many of my girlfriends are as interested in geek/gaming culture as I am. That's ok too because it gives me other people to go shopping and get my nails done with (I like those things too). So yeah it probably looks like I'm taken considering I'm hanging with the boys all weekend. Though I saw one of my boys walk up as I was in line alone for a demo and when he noticed I was chatting to a guy next to me he just kept walking and let me have my space.

At first I thought this could be an intriguing idea, until someone mentioned safety aspect considering in general people will know your location for 3 whole days (depending on when the event was held).

Last year I did get stalked by someone that had lived in my dorm in college. He seemed harmless enough when I met him through dorm government and the senior capstone class in our major and because of that he had my phone number already. He continually called/texted to find me at PAX (I didn't respond) but he always knew I was cheering on the Omegabat so he was always finding me and creepily following me. I'd say it was harmless, but my PAX boys have dubbed him my stalker. This year the guy didn't have a badge but managed to track us downtown on our way to Hard Rock for dinner. He asked my friends where I was and then proceeded to rush and follow me towards Hard Rock (another friend and I were walking ahead to get us on the restaurant list ASAP). This was on Friday night. The rest of the dinner I was completely weirded out that this guy was going to end up buying a scalped badge and pester me through the entire convention center again. Luckily, we didn't spot him again for the rest of the weekend. I hope he thought I was dating my friend.

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    PAX is not a dating service, sorry.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.