As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

External hard drive causing OS X to freeze

Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS!If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
Years ago my dad bought a Lacie 250GB Firewire external hard drive and since day one it's been giving me issues. But because my dad never had any issues (he used it once in a blue moon) we never replaced it or attempted to fix it, so I just stopped using it.

Recently I've been using it more and more for storage and the issue is still present. If I leave the hard drive on it seems to go to sleep or something after about 15-20 minutes and then if I try to use it it will cause the spinning colour wheel to appear indefinitely. Not just on the Finder, but in everything, so it makes my Mac completely unusable until I hold down the power button on the Mac or flick the power switch on the drive. Doing the latter will free up the computer but will result in a window telling me that files might have been damaged (this has never happened).

This means that I can't stream my ripped DVDs to my Xbox or PS3. After 20 minutes of enjoying a film I get told that the connection was lost and I find my computer frozen like it were encased in a block of ice.

What really annoys me is that it's sound as a pound in Windows XP. I dual-boot my Mac with a Windows XP partition for games, so I have my Steam folder and numerous other games on there and I can leave the external on for days while running XP and it won't miss a beat!

Anyone know what the OS X problem might be?

Cannon Goose on

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What file system is the drive formatted as? What version of OSX are you running?

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 and the drive is MS-DOS FAT32. I'm guessing that NTFS would be ideal for my dual-boot situation?

How would I go about changing the formatting?

Cannon Goose on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not really, no. OSX only has read support for NTFS. Do you have any other external hard drives? I wonder if the issue is external drives in general or this particular one.

You might have Disk Utility check the drive for errors (or do the same from Windows).

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]