As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Jazzman's Team Fortress 2 dance animations - NOW new WIP stuff

thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hi, you might remember me from last March, I decided to learn to animate and that went very well for me. Since then I made Fable 3 (with some help I GUESS), and also I made this thing I'm about to embed (which you might have seen some work in progress shots from since it made the rounds on kotaku, rock paper shotgun, pc gamer etc).

Since this is where I got my first ever animation crits and where I posted the first stuff I ever made (thanks bacon for setting the groundwork of me understanding animation as body mechanics rather than poses out of a book!) I thought I'd post it, since it's the first notable thing I've made since doing my reel and getting a job.

Feels like it's been longer than 18 months since I made my thread here.

Anyway here it is, and I URGE you to watch it HD in fullscreen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nds1T7U9FqY

PEACE

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
thejazzman on

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    holy shit
    YOURE the guy who was making this?
    thats awesome!
    i remember watching your old thread and seeing you improve!
    great stuff !

RubberAC on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I remember you and this is fucking awesome, I wish it were longer.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Holy shit, you've really come a long way dude (and in a relatively short length of time, I might add!). :^: :^: :^: :^:

(Also, I can't tell you how delighted I am that something I said turned out to be useful down the line!)

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Haha, holy shit I had no clue that was you.

These animations are great, I've been showing them to all my friends!

Fugitive on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You are a king among men, I've been following this project on youtube for weeks! :D

I'm guessing you created the map as well? I don't recognise it from any of the official ones.

(Reported for awesome.)

Flay on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Ok I had no idea you made these but I have been watching them as you released them in TF2 threads.

bombardier on
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God DAMN these are amazing.

...is what I thought as you were releasing the parts.

Now there are no words. Only applause.

Dys on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yessssssss.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, wow. There's so much love on my screen! It's all going on at once!

Add me to the list of people who had no idea you were behind this wonderfulness

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    amazing!

i got sent these by one of my clients
    i imagine someone at valve probably contacted you about them?

beavotron on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy cats, it's really hard to pick a favorite in that vid! Hats off, sir!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    AlecxantAlecxant Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thats really really awesome man. I feel obligated to say the Heavy- Medic pair are my favourite, just because I spend the most time playing Heavy, but the engie and his sentry are fucking awesome lol.
    Really encouraging to see someone who improved and went on to do something great come back to where they first started.

keep it up man.

Alecxant on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So cool that some of you already knew about the work in progress shots :)

beavotron wrote: »
    amazing!

I emailed them last night at around 5am my time and something like 7pm their time so I doubt anybody has been in office yet to see my mail, but I do hope to hear something from them. To anybody who knows me irl, it's pretty painfully obvious I did this specifically to strike up a conversation with them (which I also paid a ridiculous amount of money this March to do, in the form of flying to San Francisco to see them at GDC).

So yeah, if you go there to chat about making some ridiculously awesome plush toy or whatnot, maybe ask them how they feel about dancing. (editor's note: you don't really have to ask anybody about anything)

Yeah I did make the map as well, tried to just grab something from hammer but it was easier to just make it myself.

Happy with how this turned out so far, it's not perfect, by a long shot, but for 4 months of afterwork, including crunching Fable, I'm about satisfied. Thanks for the kind words so far, crits at this point are stinging lashes on my back, but eventually I will very much need to break this thing down and work out how I could have structured it better to make it funnier. Truthfully some of the comic timing I had planned didn't filter through so well when I was like 'oh god its already like 1000 frames long I don't want to animate any more funny business.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Great stuff!

I just went through your old thread.... Too bad most of the vids don't work anymore. :( It's always fun going back and looking at the progression!

Hope you hear from valve! (Though you can't be hurting too bad since you already work at Lion head.)

Sublimus on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    thejazzman wrote: »
    So cool that some of you already knew about the work in progress shots :)

beavotron wrote: »
    amazing!

I emailed them last night at around 5am my time and something like 7pm their time so I doubt anybody has been in office yet to see my mail, but I do hope to hear something from them. To anybody who knows me irl, it's pretty painfully obvious I did this specifically to strike up a conversation with them (which I also paid a ridiculous amount of money this March to do, in the form of flying to San Francisco to see them at GDC).

So yeah, if you go there to chat about making some ridiculously awesome plush toy or whatnot, maybe ask them how they feel about dancing. (editor's note: you don't really have to ask anybody about anything)

Yeah I did make the map as well, tried to just grab something from hammer but it was easier to just make it myself.

Happy with how this turned out so far, it's not perfect, by a long shot, but for 4 months of afterwork, including crunching Fable, I'm about satisfied. Thanks for the kind words so far, crits at this point are stinging lashes on my back, but eventually I will very much need to break this thing down and work out how I could have structured it better to make it funnier. Truthfully some of the comic timing I had planned didn't filter through so well when I was like 'oh god its already like 1000 frames long I don't want to animate any more funny business.

they are very aware of fan art that gets done for them, trust me they love fan art
    but i'll shoot an email over to some of my animation friends to make sure they've seen it for sure, because i know they'll all love it.

beavotron on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My sole single critque of this video is that I really want them to be coming out ready for battle and everyone stops when they hear "Attention- EVERY BODY DANCE NOW" then a beat with them all dumfounded, then the music kicks back in again and they dance like they've never danced before.

With they starting the dances before/during "EVERYBODY DANCE NOW" the impact of the absurdity is kind of lost.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I agree, basically the result of insufficient planning of the shot.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    this is amazing

just...dang

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    My sole single critque of this video is that I really want them to be coming out ready for battle and everyone stops when they hear "Attention- EVERY BODY DANCE NOW" then a beat with them all dumfounded, then the music kicks back in again and they dance like they've never danced before.

With they starting the dances before/during "EVERYBODY DANCE NOW" the impact of the absurdity is kind of lost.

This is a good crit, I did kinda feel the intro lacked. Still, I've watched this about 20 times now, so it's not like it ruins it or anything.

Mustang on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hah! I hadn't noticed the spy at the end until now. The replay value is probably one of the best things about this video; every time I notice something new.

If I had to give some criticism, it'd be the particular angle you used for the shot of the courtyard. Since the view is directly front on, it's sometimes hard to determine exacly which plane each character is on, and who's meant to be in front. It's not a massive problem though, and I can see why you'd want each character obscured as little as possible, but it still looks a little weird.

Flay on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was following this before as well and had no idea it was you senor jazzman. Mad props sir, this is absolutely fantastic. Also congrats on working on fable III, which is also incredible and I am very much looking forward to playing.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It seems only yesterday he was animating clotheslines for Shotgun Sunrise. They grow up so fast.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I was following this before as well and had no idea it was you senor jazzman. Mad props sir, this is absolutely fantastic. Also congrats on working on fable III, which is also incredible and I am very much looking forward to playing.

I think Fable 3 will be pretty darn cool (not actually had a chance to play the whole thing through), rly glad for that to be my first game. If you like the player character animation, you might have me to thank in small part! Also there would have been some bugs that aren't in the game, so, nobody will ever know that I did that, but yeah. Also, I no longer work at Lionhead so if it sucks, don't blame me! (But I really don't think it sucks heh)

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just saw this in the Awesome Threads forum, and I've got to say, this is some great work. Pat yourself on the back, man! That's an amazing amount of improvement in that kind of a time period. Congratulations on your honed skills and successes :D

NightDragon on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i must've watched this like 10 times, just to get all the details. Great stuff. Lots of little touches in there that really make it shine.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been watching all the snippets you put up - my heart belongs to the Sniper's Napoleon Dynamite dance. Mad props to you, sir. You are a fantastic animator.

mully on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    sir, I tip my hat to you. Great chops. great chops.

PROX on
  • Options
    GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, been following these for a while. As someone who comes from a primarily animation college, these are very impressive.

Stick around the forums more, these are great!

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yeah dont disappear again until you do something awesome again!
    stick around and chat!
    post more rad stuff!
    i wanna see more ogres and tuftoos and dancing

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Did you not post your L4D video here Benson

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nah, it kinda sucks, I dunno, I don't like it. but maybe I'll post it later if I MUST

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's good and you know it you big sissy girl.
    Don't make me post your fruitfucker and clothesline.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fuck'n clothesline....that was like, the first friggin' animation I ever made you fucker.

You know, maybe I should make a new clothesline animation that's all awesome and shit to finally SHUT YOU UP

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Shotgun Sunrise 2.0 Changelog:
    -New clothesline

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've been rigigng up some new stuff and doing animamation tests, here's the hunter, pretty interesting getting used to it's body mechanics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A8hf_gp5p0

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was about to say that the leftmost leg (it's right, our left) seemed a bit out of whack at the end of the jump but having just watched it move around ingame, I actually think you captured its style of motion well

It does have this sort of quivery, lurching motion with the legs at awkward angles so that animation suits it just fine!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png