As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Face to Face With Destiny [8/5 update] john-portrait

GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Artist's Corner
Moved into a new studio, started some new projects, trying to keep up with old ones. Gunna consolidate my doodle thread stuff into this thread. All oil, without reference. Except for that drawing, which did use a couple of refs, and is not oil.

4516219374_d18e6a0dce.jpg

4515583111_bff8f28a89.jpg

4501745812_2cf897287d.jpg

4501111723_695e38dc63.jpg

4435441225_4eacd8cdc7.jpg

4432567580_259f9ecd0b.jpg

Projects started this morning

4516219510_4612f9ecd0.jpg

4515582731_01ba3a109c.jpg

Looking for general feedback. I'm trying alot of different methods and styles with oil, and I can't really figure out what i'm good at yet- or what kind of approach i like enough to really go at it. It's strange, I can't really figure out what kind of paintings I want to make.

I'm thinking about trying to start getting models in the studio, to break out of my portrait and bodytype habits. I'm not sure of how best to use that time though, my only experience with the figure from life is the standard 3 hour session- short to long poses. I'd like to have some kind of gameplan though, if I was going to get someone in for a one on one.

Greatnation on

• Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looking cool so far. Why you not using reference?
    anyway i think what you're doing is the best approach to oils. I know when i started, i was encouraged by my tutor at uni to approach it with a very 'wet' method, where i used loads of turps and linseed oil, but now i find myself using a very dry approach, because i feel i have more control of adding smaller details, and colour mixing is much easier.
    Personally, i feel these two are the most successful.
    this because its structure is well defined and the values are looking good so far

and this one because the style is very interesting.
    4515582731_01ba3a109c.jpg

If you havnt seen his work, check out Ashley Woods stuff. Hes and illustrator from Perth and his stuff is badass and inspiring. he uses a real dirty approach, but his colours are excellent.

Keep at it.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks WCK-

Up until now, my paintings are all just glorified doodles- hence the no reference. I don't start with a plan or image in mind, I just doodle around for a while until something clicks. Each surface usually has several completely different images on it before I land on one that I feel like developing, very much like how a lot of people doodle in a sketchbook. I suppose I could create reference material, or find something to match whatever it is I end up with.

Thanks for the tip on Ashley Wood, I know his work very well. You can see the Sparrow box set on my table there; lol those things are too expensive.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I love everything about this one and, if I had monies, I'd buy it right here on the spot for whatever you asked for it.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    4521553286_3b84e65427.jpg

Thanks Nappuccino, thats quite a compliment.

Got started on the Degas piece. Working big, 48x48.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    4523183341_94589662fb.jpg

warming up

Greatnation on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    getting there! these are really gestural but i think you are onto something. you need more structural practice before your gestures can improve. study more heads.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    4599222777_76c9b1be39.jpg

ramping up for the show tomorrow night, I like this portrait now, im sure ill ruin in the next move or so.
    Designed the postcards for it as well

4599232167_89711ec51d.jpg

4599232351_3cf397e4fb.jpg

these were printed on 4x6 cardstock

Greatnation on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i want to own everything you do

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Update on the old man

4619368453_9e53ce045e.jpg

and that drawing- im actually feeling pretty good about not fucking it up after all

4619368565_19a37d33e9.jpg

Thanks worstcase, now lets talk money.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    this is incidental and probably not important, but I can't unsee it

the dark spot above the old man looks like the back of someone's hair and there's a few "lines" that look like shoulders

what I'm trying to say is I see a ghost with its back to the viewer looking towards the old man

Tam on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    goddammit now I see it

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Loving the hair on that last drawing.

Flay on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    this is incidental and probably not important, but I can't unsee it

the dark spot above the old man looks like the back of someone's hair and there's a few "lines" that look like shoulders

what I'm trying to say is I see a ghost with its back to the viewer looking towards the old man

It looks like she has him in a headlock too.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    4658157161_0f8bcd521e.jpg

Nearing a finish on this. Its for a group show in June at the Distillery Gallery.

Got some more exciting news coming for fall as well, going to be in a small group show in salt lake city and im going to start teaching at Artists for Humanities in South Boston.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    that looks almost digital

Tam on
  • Options
    DrezzDrezz Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    I'm really digging the softness of the last one. Great stuff...

Drezz on
    cuervo-banner.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    thanks for the words folks.

Finished my other piece for the show next weekend, it's bigger (24"x48"). Oil on board.

4707246032_0b56de910f_b.jpg

detail of the head

4707277998_c91cd78636_b.jpg

also added some finishing touches to this

4706593295_e1089c5071.jpg

i think im now pushing in the direction of paintings i actually want to make. I plan on working more on the larger peice, but its going to hang as is for now. I did use a model for the larger one by way of some preliminary sketches, which feels really good to me- it helps me get out of the same figure and portrait types that i do over and over.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I absolutely love the colors and the figure in the big painting.

I'm not sure how I feel about the lack of definition in the face, though.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Some highlights of the last couple figure sessions

4862682161_ef09622811.jpg
    4862682359_1321de0885.jpg
    4862682271_c37af5dc4d.jpg
    4863304206_5d27a71cbc.jpg

All very short, 3-8 minutes or so.

This, as seen in the doodle thread-

4860611693_92d344645f.jpg

And....

So for the past 6 months or so I've been working on organizing an art school for highschool kids here in Somerville MA. Been working with tons and tons of folks, getting the support in line- all the networking logistics and such. We are just now taking things public with it- I'm expecting to open doors in December. But, there's some content on that too, our the website went up recently (still trying to tweak some stuff on it, I'm beginning to hate the wordpress theme i went with....). Its not public public, but I'm starting to show people for feedback- like it's still not on search engines.

www.chorusatelier.com

And, I put together a little video from a fund raising event we had in May. I dont seem to be able to imbed here with vimeo, but here's the link.

get some

Greatnation on
  • Options
    CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Your work seems very 'wet' to me. I don't think I would describe anyone else's art with that word besides James Jean, so that's a big compliment going your way. I love the gestural lines and the way you put down highlights.

I'm assuming you're not too into focusing on backgrounds, because I make the same sorts of compositions as you do. Maybe you should experiment with an illustration where the figure is too blurry to be recognized.

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    thanks Blacula, kind words. I don't know exactly what you mean by the blurry figure thing though

dropping a rough on a zombie for the boardgame, same as the military dude above.

4867626940_5b764e0250.jpg

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    selfw.jpg

theadsurrection, with my mug.

this is about 24" wide, oil on wood. Still can't take a decent photo of a painting, im using a nikon d40- the colors are always just slightly off.

Also these were in the doodle thread, but I will nestle them here as well.

5147433826_26369df61d.jpg
    5147433708_b947844bdd.jpg

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    portrait of my friend john that i did today,

5159894315_dac51670a4.jpg

i think i might get him back in the studio for another sitting, but I may just leave it as is. Its going to be on exhibit at the BU Hillel gallery for the month of december, possibly with the self-portrait.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really like how you painted John's outfit, you developed the forms well.

The face is killing it though...it suffers from some similar problems as your self portrait. The main thing it needs, in my opinion, is a full value range. You have some very dark darks going on in the clothes in both paintings but when you get to the face, it doesn't have as much weight or visual presence. I'd say to push the shadows darker in the eye sockets and under the nose mainly but there is a need for an all over value shift.

I also think that you could develop both faces a lot more, they are very flat. Your brush strokes don't do much to define the planes and forms but instead look messy.

I really like your work though and I think it's really great that you're starting up a school!

edit: (quick and dirty paint-over)
    5159894315_dac51670a.jpg

DeeLock on